The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 its a mystery!!!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 06/10/2010 : 20:14:07
i have just come in from work like, an hour ago, (7pm) only to find kalou has shed his skin!!!!!

first of all, i never expected it, i never noticed his eyes go 'cloudy' , i never had a damp box in there with moss, and it all came off in one full clean piece!

maybe this could explain why the last week or so he has never came out his hides and why he has been tryin to ecape from me.. i have noted it so i no for the next time when to expect it to happen. when will this be??

so im hopin now he wont be 'stressd' and be a happy little calm snake
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 07/10/2010 : 20:54:28
i will make a visit it a trustworthy store an purchase what he needs
drchino Posted - 07/10/2010 : 16:42:33
This happened to me the first time Izzy shed; she didn't really come out of her hide for 5 days and then I came home to find a nice complete shed skin and a very shiny and hungry looking snake roaming round her viv!

I figured she was about to shed when I didn't see much of her but it still had me a little worried cos she didn't cloud over or look any different!
ryanred5 Posted - 07/10/2010 : 15:45:10
Kellog just to let you know I've just sent you an email.
ryanred5 Posted - 07/10/2010 : 15:11:35
I'm glad I picked up what you had said in your post, as now you can get what Kalou needs to prevent him from being burnt. I hope you get a stat and digi therm sooner rather than later, it is in Kalou's best interests.
Kellog Posted - 07/10/2010 : 12:02:04
quote:
Originally posted by parks

no i dont have neither. i didn question it when i bought the snake and mat, but the person in the rep shop said it was un-nessesary for me to have a thermo and digi thermo. the mat is all i need for now she said.. but if i need them i will certainly buy them

GingerPony is right Craig, pet shops are absolutely useless and I am not surprised that you were given the wrong info.

To be honest, I would be very concerned about running a heatmat without a stat....especially as you dont have anything monitoring the heat at substrate level. An unstatted heatmat can heat up to levels that can burn your snake. I am no expert but I would suggest that you turn your heatmat off and get a stat as soon as possible, like today!

This threads show you why they are so important - Importance of having a stat and monitor and Do I need a thermostat? (upsetting reading and pics).

A lot of us use these Digital thermometers....which are cheap but more importantly come quickly and are accurate.

This is a situation that needs rectifying as soon as possible for Kalou's sake....but please dont feel guilty about it, you are in the position many of us have been in....relying on advice from people who we feel should know what they are talking about.

xxx

Edited to change link to 'Digital Thermometers'....as Ebay had the cheek to move the page they were on without telling me ! Many thanks to ryanred (Catherine) for pointing it out to me!

gingerpony Posted - 07/10/2010 : 10:58:36
some rep shops are completely useless!

and in reply to your OP this is perfectly normal behaviour whilst shedding and proves you don't need a damp hide - they can do more harm than good if they're not needed
n/a Posted - 07/10/2010 : 07:07:32
no i dont have neither. i didn question it when i bought the snake and mat, but the person in the rep shop said it was un-nessesary for me to have a thermo and digi thermo. the mat is all i need for now she said.. but if i need them i will certainly buy them
ryanred5 Posted - 06/10/2010 : 21:54:46
quote:

wel at the mo hes only a few months old so im only using a heat mat. i was told thats all i need. what do u mean, keep the shed?! haha.. what am i suposd to do with that? but no, i hoyd it in the bin.. my bad!

When you say you are only using a heat mat, are you also using a Thermostat to adjust the temperature of the mat and are you also using a Digital Thermometer to see exactly what the temperature of mat is, so you can adjust the Thermostat up or down as necessary?

If not you need to get both as soon as possible, as an unstatted mat can get to a very high temperature and can burn the snake.

If you do have them, I apologise, but its how you worded your post what made me think you might not have them.
herriotfan Posted - 06/10/2010 : 21:23:38
quote:

i will have it in my memory..lol..

nah, im just hopin now wen i pick him up tomorrow he will be ok with me.. now im relieved that now i know why he was acting abit weird

I'm sure he'll be fine.
n/a Posted - 06/10/2010 : 21:05:58
i will have it in my memory..lol..

nah, im just hopin now wen i pick him up tomorrow he will be ok with me.. now im relieved that now i know why he was acting abit weird
herriotfan Posted - 06/10/2010 : 20:42:21
quote:

wel at the mo hes only a few months old so im only using a heat mat. i was told thats all i need. what do u mean, keep the shed?! haha.. what am i suposd to do with that? but no, i hoyd it in the bin.. my bad!

Very bad!!! How can you compare his size from when he's a huge big boy to now if you have no shed?
Tiffany-x Posted - 06/10/2010 : 20:33:25
It all depends on the snake, some feed in shed some dont. Im sure you will have a very little happy snakey now though and I sure you are very proud! :P
Tiffany-x
n/a Posted - 06/10/2010 : 20:26:50
i only just fed him yesterday aswel n he tuk the pinkie no problem.
n/a Posted - 06/10/2010 : 20:25:59
herriotfan Posted - 06/10/2010 : 20:23:08
Typical cornsnake..... you're not the first to be fooled and you won't be the last!!
A lot of snakes will shed without a moist hide, that's good.
It would indeed explain the behaviour. I'm sure Kalou will be back to normal now.
It depends how old, size, what the temps are etc on how often they shed.
Hope you're going to keep the shed.....!!!!!!!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000