The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Sealant

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mort13 Posted - 06/10/2010 : 20:02:12
Hi its a bit previous I know,but I've bought a viv for Loki as it was on offer. He's not going to be in it for absolutely ages but I can take my time getting bits and decorating it now I've read about putting sealant on the interior joins but wondered if it has to be a certain type? Worrying about toxicity. Is there a recommended brand?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 07/10/2010 : 10:47:46
i spoke to a manufacturer about this a couple of years ago and they would not guarantee the safety of any livestock or fish in prolonged contact with their regular silicone sealant and recommended aquarium grade silicone sealant for use with reptiles.
the reasons being as Kehhlyr stated, above.
Mort13 Posted - 06/10/2010 : 21:20:01
Cheers all for the advice. I'll get some aquarium sealant then. Don't want to take any chances with my baby
Kehhlyr Posted - 06/10/2010 : 20:34:47
The issue with normal sealants is that the 'anti-mould' (or anti-fungus) chemical in it can be toxic to snakes. If you can find a sealant that doesn't have that and is not aquarium sealant then I will be impressed.
eeji Posted - 06/10/2010 : 20:34:11
i've always used acrylic sealant in home made vivs instead of silicone - its not as fumy (is that a word??), and can be painted/varnished over unlike silicone.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/10/2010 : 20:04:53
You can get aquarium sealant, but normal silicone sealant will be fine aslong as it is allowed to air out. Just make sure it isn't one which remains sticky even after it dries out.
herriotfan Posted - 06/10/2010 : 20:03:55
Aquarium sealant is popular I believe. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000