The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 This is gonna sound daft but....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elament Posted - 03/10/2010 : 13:15:46
Has anyone ever heard of corns shrinking? I mean in length certainly not width. Only the last but one of Colins sheds i measured was 45" according to my records yet his last was 43", My own logic tells me there must be a reason for it but i cant work it out. He is pooing drinking eating and shedding all perfectly Setup is as it always is nothing has changed at all apart from he is now eating more and i can def say just lately he putting weight on round the middle (aint we all). Anyone else had this happen?

Cheers

steve
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 08/10/2010 : 03:14:01
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I usually put mine on my bed with a 6 or 12 in ruler to do my photos for snake measurer. The most important thing is to make sure you take the picture from directly overhead. And of course that the snake doesn't slither out of shot while you are trying to take the picture lol

Great idea Kd....will have to try that but get my OH to take the pics while I 'snake whisper' to keep them still....somehow doubt that is going to work with Silvesta though !

xxx
kdlang Posted - 07/10/2010 : 15:56:51
I usually put mine on my bed with a 6 or 12 in ruler to do my photos for snake measurer. The most important thing is to make sure you take the picture from directly overhead. And of course that the snake doesn't slither out of shot while you are trying to take the picture lol
mikerichards Posted - 07/10/2010 : 15:36:39
what you might find is that the longer shed skin was measured fresh, and the current one that is shorter may have been dry, and shrunk.
my 6ft boa consistently sheds 8 or 9ft skin, yet to get a complete skin off the surinam, but i would expect that to be in the region of 12 to 13ft.
measuring the skin is a false hope, it will never be accurate, one day the snake may use something like the water bowl, get the skin caught on it, and really stretch it, one day he may not!!
Kellog Posted - 07/10/2010 : 12:31:37
quote:
Originally posted by elament

you dont need a plastic box judith you can use any flat surface you just need to include something in the photo you know the exact size of I used a tape measure set at 12".

Definite brain fog moment when I was working out how to use it then ....but thats not surprising with me! Now I just have to find a box where Kellog can fit into comfortably and isnt all in coils !

xxx
elament Posted - 04/10/2010 : 16:22:43
you dont need a plastic box judith you can use any flat surface you just need to include something in the photo you know the exact size of I used a tape measure set at 12".
Kellog Posted - 04/10/2010 : 04:17:29
So glad that Colin isnt shrinking !!

I use the 'measuring the shed' method for both of mine, but am always very aware of how inaccurate it is....but then for me, with Kellog being an adult and Silvesta virtually an adult I guess that how much they are growing isnt such an issue.

I keep meaning to try out the Snake Measurer but havent got round to it....mainly cos I dont have a clear plastic box to fit Kellog into!

Sounds like Colin is thriving though, which is wonderful to hear Steve (and great to see you posting again , you have been missed).

xxx
elament Posted - 03/10/2010 : 15:57:12
Your right and it is awesome. I just did both of them and wow my estimations based on the old shed minus 10% was way off the mark Colins last shed measured 43" and he is in fact 36" and Xenas last measured 32" and she is in fact 26" blimey! Funny that coz I used to work in timber and am pretty good at guessing sizes and I always thought that colin wasnt as big as 39" Thanks for that software appreciate that its nice to know their actual size instead of guessing.
Oh incidently based on the calculations I have gathered from this software its more like actual shed length minus 16% not 10

cheers

steve
elament Posted - 03/10/2010 : 14:45:26
thanks for that i will give it a bash

cheers

steve
Sta~ple Posted - 03/10/2010 : 14:30:05
Haha I've missed up measured the sheds, it's hard to know how hard to pull without breaking the skin.

^ That software is awesome.
ryanred5 Posted - 03/10/2010 : 14:18:19
Heres the link to the measuring software that Kdlang mentioned in her post:-

http://www.serpwidgets.com/Apps/measure.html
elament Posted - 03/10/2010 : 13:41:51
Yeah I just managed to find his last shed (keep em all lol sad aint i) and you can see that this last shed is far less stretched and when you pull it tight it actually expands so its more or less the same only wider so I guess it means he is now putting weight on more round the middle than the length. Panic over sorry bout that lol just baffled me for a second.
kdlang Posted - 03/10/2010 : 13:37:54
I had the same thoughts the last time Peanut shed. He shed skin was smaller this time than last but I put it down to it not stretching as much this time. I think measuring the sheds gives you a very rough idea of their length but every now and again I use the snake measuring software to get a more accurate idea
elament Posted - 03/10/2010 : 13:29:11
Yeah I kinda figured it must be something to do with the shed I cant really see the snake shrinking if anything he looks bigger but wondered what caused it. It obviously points out as you say measuring the shed is massively inaccurate.
ryanred5 Posted - 03/10/2010 : 13:26:49
As far as I am aware going off the length of sheds isn't very accurate as the skin stretches as it is being shed, so each time the lengths could be totally different.

Hope that helps.
Tiffany-x Posted - 03/10/2010 : 13:21:55
I THINK that sheds can be either stretched or shrunken compared to actual size (not sure which it is), but this means that the shed isnt an accurate measurement. So dont worry, the little fella isnt shrinking! :P
Tiffany-x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000