The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New owner, heat mat help please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
J6pkp Posted - 01/10/2010 : 18:18:45
Hi all.
Newby here so go easy on me!!
We have just got our baby, a 3 month old amel, and at present our set up is a large Eco terra faun, substrate etc with a heatmat (7w) covering 1/3 tank.
My problem (if it is one) is that the thermometer is stating the warm end is 70 degrees, should it be warmer?? Our baby seems to be comfortable, but I'm concerned!
The mat is on some polystyrene and is under the tank. The thermometer is a dial one stuck 1/2" from floor.
Thanks in advance!!
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
J6pkp Posted - 04/10/2010 : 21:59:55
Thank you all for the advice, I have got a thermostat coming, and also a digi thermometer. The dial therm at the minute is sat on top of the substrate, and then I may try the above suggestion of testing the bin temp!! Lol
Thanks again all!!
gingerpony Posted - 04/10/2010 : 11:04:14
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

the best place for the dial thermometer is at the bottom of the bin

lmfao
i really did lol at this one eeji, nearly woke the baby up too!!
Kellog Posted - 03/10/2010 : 03:42:03
quote:
Originally posted by mowdid

Hi kellog
now you have me worried and confused ? going off your link on probe positioning

maybe down to a bad choice of words (sorry) what i meant by inside the hide is the probes go underneath the warm hide laying flat against the mat and weighed down with the hide, fastened together with an elastic band underneath the substrate

thanks
any advice is much appreciated

Sorry Mowdid, didnt mean to worry you. Can you be a bit clearer because the way you describe it makes me wonder whether the hide you have in the warm end has a base/bottom....as you are saying the probe is lying underneath the warm hide and weighed down by it.

If this is so then, obviously, it wont be affected by the temp of the snake lying on it, but then also it means that the temp inside the hide wont be that of the heatmat, as there is a 'floor' between the snake and the heatmat.

The hides I have in the warm ends dont have bottoms so my snakes are lying directly on the vinyl covered heatmat (with a sprinkling of substrate over it).

Am afraid I am a bit brain dead tonight so am probably just being confused by your post and also not explaining myself very well.

xxx
mowdid Posted - 02/10/2010 : 09:54:50
Hi kellog
now you have me worried and confused ? going off your link on probe positioning

maybe down to a bad choice of words (sorry) what i meant by inside the hide is the probes go underneath the warm hide laying flat against the mat and weighed down with the hide, fastened together with an elastic band underneath the substrate

thanks
any advice is much appreciated
Kellog Posted - 02/10/2010 : 04:39:41
To be honest J6pkp, I would be very concerned about running a heatmat without a stat....especially as you dont have anything monitoring the heat at substrate level. An unstatted heatmat can heat up to levels that can burn your snake. I am no expert but I would suggest that you turn your heatmat off and get a stat as soon as possible, like today!

This threads show you why they are so important - Importance of having a stat and monitor and Do I need a thermostat? (upsetting reading).

You have been given good advice about the need for the digital thermometer....the only thing I would add is that it is not a good idea to have the probe inside the snake's hide, as when the snake lies on it it's body heat will effect the temperature the probe is reading, so it's better to have the probes (for the stat and thermometer) outside the viv. This thread on Probe Positioning will help WHEN you get your stat and digital thermometer.

Hope that has been of some help.

xxx
mowdid Posted - 01/10/2010 : 23:05:27
Theres various types from what ive read on the forums and we're fairly new to this too , like yourself this is the matstat that we bought and it works really well

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Habistat-Matstat-up-100w-Reptile-Vivarium-control-/170490032131?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item27b1ff7003

we have it set between 27.5* and 28.5*
if you shop about you may find it cheaper have a look in the links section of the site im sure theres a member has or works in a shop there that sell them

This one: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11039
J6pkp Posted - 01/10/2010 : 22:25:05
Thanks again. Any idea which is the best stat to use? Sorry for all questions!!
mowdid Posted - 01/10/2010 : 21:38:23
The thermostat will make the world of difference as it controls the temps of your heatmat and switches the mat on/off to suit

check out this page as there's a few threads/posts on temps. thermostats and heatmats
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=4&sortfield=lastpost&sortorder=desc&whichpage=5

PS id make a point of getting a thermostat and digi thermometer ASAP

J6pkp Posted - 01/10/2010 : 21:11:25
Mowdid, thank you. If my heat doesn't rise, what on earth do I do next?? It's not running a thermostat as yet, (next on list) but that wouldn't make it warmer I don't think?.
mowdid Posted - 01/10/2010 : 20:49:06
The dial thermometer will be giving you the ambient temp inside the tank and 70 whould be under, you really should have your digi thermometer probe and your thermostat probe fastened together and placed inside of the hot hide underneath of a thin layer of substrate and set to 27*c to 29*c (80*f to 84*f) and your cold hide temps should be ideally around 22*c (72*f)

This is how we have our viv set up after following advice and various posts / threads here on TCS

Im sure the experts / admins will correct me if im wrong

PS: hi and welcome

these are thermometers we use and were delivered within a week

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-LCD-Fish-Aquarium-Water-Terrarium-Thermometer-/150496730672?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item230a4dde30
J6pkp Posted - 01/10/2010 : 20:22:43
Hi all, thanks. Was the dial therm under reading the heat or over reading it?
Gaz_1989 Posted - 01/10/2010 : 19:34:59
Sorry that last bit meant to say...

I use exo terra ones from 888 reptiles website. They are 8.95. Very accurate. I had 3 last night and with next day delivery it was 35 quid.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 01/10/2010 : 19:32:55
Echo what Ian says. The dial thermometers are a joke.

I had them at first when I knew no different. When I got a digi I found the dial was 8c out!!!

I ise Exo Terra ones from 888
eeji Posted - 01/10/2010 : 18:26:31
the best place for the dial thermometer is at the bottom of the bin - they aren't the most accurate of things (understatement!). You'll be much better off with a digital thermometer, very accurate and only a few quid off ebay.

Someone will be along soon to post a link to everyones favourite seller (I forgot it!)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000