The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Convincing Parents for a 2nd snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Chez Posted - 29/09/2010 : 12:58:51
Hey guys, I got my first snake about a month ago and now the addiction has started as I want another one the only problem is that my dad doesn't want me to have another snake, I managed to convince him the first time but this time its a bit harder. does anyone have any suggestions to help me persuade my dad to let me have a second corn snake? Cheers
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stacii Posted - 02/10/2010 : 19:09:05
say you are looking after it for somoene and then tell him that they cant have it back because they were given a hamster by a family member or somethin
stotty01 Posted - 02/10/2010 : 18:22:34
its harder for me...i volunteer in a reptile shop every staurday, seeing new hatchies and lizards come in makes me want to have all of them xD
Kellog Posted - 01/10/2010 : 03:54:20
quote:
Originally posted by Chez

Cheers Kellog, helpful stuff im going to wait until the end of january until i bring it up again, as then it would have been longer since i had Tiny and my birthday to cover costs of the possibility of getting another.

Sounds like a good plan Sam ....that way not only will you prove to your parents that this isnt something you are going to get bored with but also you will have some money put aside to cover the costs. And I am sure your dad will be relieved to have a few months without the mention of another snake !!

xxx
Chez Posted - 30/09/2010 : 10:34:03
Cheers Kellog, helpful stuff im going to wait until the end of january until i bring it up again, as then it would have been longer since i had Tiny and my birthday to cover costs of the possibility of getting another.
Kellog Posted - 30/09/2010 : 04:30:35
I am afraid I am going to be the normal down to earth Kellog that everyone expects Sam (I nearly typed 'knows and loves' but then wasnt sure !!)

I would definitely agree with Sta~ple's about thoughts of your future, I know a forum member who has just had to get rid of his snake because he has gone to uni and couldnt take it with him. And it wouldnt be fair on your parents to leave your snakes with them through term time and just visit on holidays....then they arent your snakes but become your parents responsibility.

I know you say you might not go to uni, but at this point in your life you just dont know.

More of a concern....and responding as a corn snake lover and as a parent of teenagers....you have only had Tiny for a month. I am sure the main thing your dad is worried about is that this is the latest 'in thing' for you and give you a few months you will get bored and then what will happen to the snakes. You may not feel like that now and may never feel like that, but your dad doesnt know and, to be honest, neither do you.

A month is a short time and corns are very addictive, I totally understand that part. But maybe the best way to convince your dad is to give it some time, stop putting pressure on him about getting another one, show him how responsible you are with Tiny and how much you enjoy it, get him involved with handling him if you can (maybe your dad will catch the corn bug and want one of his own )....but speaking as a parent I know that I would respond better to a slower and more tactful encouragement rather than you wanting to rush in and get a 2nd snake now.

Sorry its not the answer you want, but maybe if you give it time and thought you will get that 2nd snake you want....but make sure you take everything (your future, the future of the snakes, cost, your dad) into account.

xxx
Chez Posted - 29/09/2010 : 22:36:09
ah thanks G
gmac Posted - 29/09/2010 : 21:40:56
quote:

how would you connect 2 mats to 1 stat, and how will you know that both vivs will be the same temp?. cheers

if both mats are the same they will switch on and off at the same time you also have to have thermometer probes for each.

You connect a extension socket into the stat and each of the mats will plug into the extension
Chez Posted - 29/09/2010 : 21:37:32
how would you connect 2 mats to 1 stat, and how will you know that both vivs will be the same temp?. cheers
Sta~ple Posted - 29/09/2010 : 21:37:14
quote:
Originally posted by Sadie_Hunt

I am in my second year of Uni and of course was not allowed a snake last year in halls, I had to wait until this year. Thankfully my friends I live with and my landlord are all happy for me to go ahead with my snake plans, but I am lucky in this, a lot of university rental properties do not allow animals of any sort :(

Indeed, you are lucky. My b/f in all the housing he has been in hasn't been allowed any pets at all and his accommodation is out of uni. One some are normally fine with depending on the animal, 2 is when you kind of push it. I was denied housing with 2 snakes silly as it is, but they worry about the smell. Most went off the idea of snakes when I said I feed them froze mice not bugs (as they were initially worried about bugs escaping), and that they go in the freezer.

I have also heard of many a tale where the owner of the snake is out and drunken house mates decide to have a play....

If you really want another I would just tell him that in viv stacks, 2 vivs take up the same space as one :) and that buying food online this way for 2 when they are fully grown will be cheaper than buying food for one from a petshop.
Kehhlyr Posted - 29/09/2010 : 21:27:11
quote:

why wont i need another stat, i will need another heat mat, so doesnt that mean another stat?

If the mats are of the same size and wattage, and ideally inside/under the same sized vivs, then they can both run off 1 stat.
Again, this is provided that they don't exceed the max wattage on the stat.

An example is a viv stack I've nearly finished, it's a triple 36x16x16
A ministat 100 will run three 14 watt 12x12 mats, leaving a total of 55 watts spare.
Technically, I could build another stack of the same dimensions and run another 3 mats off it. However, monitoring of temps is still crucial.
Chez Posted - 29/09/2010 : 21:10:28
i might not go to uni so i dont know :S
Sadie_Hunt Posted - 29/09/2010 : 21:07:19
I am in my second year of Uni and of course was not allowed a snake last year in halls, I had to wait until this year. Thankfully my friends I live with and my landlord are all happy for me to go ahead with my snake plans, but I am lucky in this, a lot of university rental properties do not allow animals of any sort :(
Sta~ple Posted - 29/09/2010 : 20:36:04
quote:

if i would move to uni i would be taking my snake/s with me, they would never have anythin to do with them

You better start searching for houses early that allow pets, b/f has been through that and it's not easy. Unless your going to put them in RUB's under your bed but surprise inceptions are an ****.
Chez Posted - 29/09/2010 : 20:02:39
why wont i need another stat, i will need another heat mat, so doesnt that mean another stat?
Kehhlyr Posted - 29/09/2010 : 20:01:17
Also remember that equipment cost is less as well.
You wont need another stat if you get the same sized setups.
Chez Posted - 29/09/2010 : 19:53:14
if i would move to uni i would be taking my snake/s with me, they would never have anythin to do with them
Sta~ple Posted - 29/09/2010 : 19:51:39
Not to start a lecture/rant but what are your plans for the future? That's what he might be thinking of. It would be unfair if yo were to move away to uni and your dad/mum look after 2 snakes he might think.
Chez Posted - 29/09/2010 : 19:44:12
i think its that ive got 1 snake now and he probably thinks thats good enough, so any tips to help me persuade him please tell me.
thanks
DannyBrown91 Posted - 29/09/2010 : 19:02:02
Try finding out the reasons why he won't let you first. You can't provide answers if you don't truly know the problem.
Chez Posted - 29/09/2010 : 19:00:55
thanks, i will have the money by january (my birthday) so thats not an issue, its just the fact that my dad doesnt want me to have another snake, i did convince him a month ago for my first snake. i dont know why he wont let me but i need help to try to convince him.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000