The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
liesela Posted - 28/09/2010 : 23:48:32
How often should I expect Mytika to shed? He's 3months old (ish)and shed twice. I've had him 3 weeks now. I know younger snakes shed more frequently than older ones as they're growing just wondering if he could be starting now, no sign of blue eyes or anything yet but he's been very secretive today! hasn't come out exploring and didn't wanna be handled!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
liesela Posted - 29/09/2010 : 14:47:02
Thanks Kellog! Sounds like i'm gonna be having fun! :D
He's coiled up in his tube today - i've been at college all morning so just got in to see how he's doing and if i can take him out for a bit - gotta get rid of the cat first! She's still a bit too interested in him for my liking!
mozacchio Posted - 29/09/2010 : 05:57:52
Spaghettino sheds every 1 and a half months and when he does, i don't see him for 10 days before that. But it's different for each corn. Wait to see the signs Kellog mentioned!
Kellog Posted - 29/09/2010 : 05:16:16
It may very well be that Mytika is coming up to a shed Liesel as they do hide away. You get a general dulling in their colours before their eyes go cloudy so you may not have noticed. He will have been putting on weight faster since he has been with you (as breeders and pet shops tend to keep them on a 'maintenance diet' whereas you are feeding him the right amount for him to grow) so he is probably due a shed....although I am no expert.

I would just keep an eye on him, lift his hide off him to see if his eyes have gone cloudy and if they have then he is definitely 'blue'.

It is a personal choice I think about feeding and handling during the period of them going 'blue' and shedding. I am one of those owners who has chosen not to feed or handle. To my thinking they are very vulnerable at this time as their eyesight is compromised, so in the wild they would be hidden away....not out looking for food. I also know that missing one meal isnt going to make any difference. BUT this is only my personal choice and I know lots of members do feed their snakes - and some snakes will feed while blue but others wont. I also dont handle during this time, as even once their eyes have cleared they are partially blind and I want to avoid as much stress for them as possible and it sounds as though Mytika is going to be one of those snakes who wont tolerate handling when 'blue'. That time is probably the hardest time for me as I get withdrawal symptoms from not having my snake time !!

His eyes will stay cloudy for a few days and then will clear up and his colours will return to normal, but it will still be about another 4/5 days before he sheds (although Silvesta took nearly 2 weeks from his eyes clearing up to shedding , all snakes are different!)

Once his colouring is back to normal and a few days have passed, what you need to look out for is him being a bit more active, rubbing his head along the sides of his viv, hide, any branches, etc. This happens because he is trying to loosen the shed from around his jaw....and once that has loosened then it can happen very quickly! But be warned....I am convinced there is a corn-conspiracy ! They seem to wait until their owners leave the room and then slip out of their old skin and slither round quite happily in their new bright colours showing them off when their owners return to the room....with their old skin lying forlorn in the corner . Seriously though, a lot of corns shed at night and I know a number of members havent had the chance to see their corns shed....despite keeping them for a number of years. So I really do hope you get lucky and get to see your corn shed.

What is vital once he has shed is checking the shed skin for the eye caps and tail tip....as if these are retained they can cause problems. If the shed is not a clean one then you know where you can come for help .

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000