The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Can i ask a question about other snakes on here?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sullysteve Posted - 27/09/2010 : 10:17:59
Hi Peeps and peepesses!

i have been trying to get info off the Rainbow boa forum, but have had no replies. I dont think its in use by many.

Over the last few months i have been doing lots and lots of research and speaking directly with my local rep store talking about BRB's.

However, i have not had much joy tracking down the cause of excessive BITING by brb's (or just mine). She just taggs me several times juring handling and i'm beggining to look a little sore. i have no problem with it but i am worried about when she gets bigger.

So my question to any BRB owners out there is this. How can i tame her and how long will it take.
I know the simple answer is to keep handling, but i cant keep getting tagged like this.

Also, i am worried that if it carries on like this, that she will damage herself (teeth)

She was born in June 2010 and is currently about 22inches long.

I really hope someone can give me advice.

This makes me realise how placid corns are!

Sully
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sullysteve Posted - 27/09/2010 : 13:40:20
cool, thanks for that gmac.

All help is appriciated.

i have to say, i am obsessed with her. i just need to pick a name.
gmac Posted - 27/09/2010 : 11:33:49
quote:
Originally posted by sullysteve

if all goes well, will she still throw punches when she grows bigger? Just need to know for when other people want to hold her.

ta

unfortunately there is no way to say for definite, you will be best placed to answer this as she develops.

good luck with her she is a cracking looker
sullysteve Posted - 27/09/2010 : 11:31:05
if all goes well, will she still throw punches when she grows bigger? Just need to know for when other people want to hold her.

ta
gingerpony Posted - 27/09/2010 : 11:23:48
good call mate

i'm sure it'll come good in the end
sullysteve Posted - 27/09/2010 : 11:20:25
Cheers Gmac and GP

Like gmac says, i have only had her a few days and i have to admit, i could not help myself handling her! (apologies).

I am gonna leave her now.
I do have a feeding record and month of birth. she has been feeding on 1 small mouse every 7-10 days. I have had her out about 4 times for about 5-10 mins each time.
When i have gone to pick her up out of the faun she is coiled up like a piece of lead and then slowly gets active (almost as if i have woken her up) Then she becomes realy realy lively and thats when she strikes (which didnt bother me) then when i put her back in, as i let go..SNAP!
Even when i was looking in the faun, she stiked at the viewing slot!

I am just concerned that she will stay like that. However, i will leave her now for a week.

Sul

gingerpony Posted - 27/09/2010 : 10:54:46
oh gmac you beat me to it lol, particularly agree with your advice below
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

first thing sullysteve you have only had the BRB a few days...I would make sure your husbandry is correct for your BRB temps, humidity etc and leave it alone to settle and become comfortable in its new surroundings before you try and do anything else.

gingerpony Posted - 27/09/2010 : 10:51:13
firstly, sincere apologies for not getting on TRB forum for months

i think rainbow boas are just one of many species that are often snappy when young.........you say you get tagged during a handling session, how long do you usually have your BRB out for? what is it like when you initially enter the viv/faun and pick it up?

it also seems a considerable size for a 3 month old? what is feeding on and how frequently?
gmac Posted - 27/09/2010 : 10:46:25
first thing sullysteve you have only had the BRB a few days, like all snakes they unsettle easily, let it settle in leave it alone it needs time to acclimatise to its new surroundings.

I would make sure your husbandry is correct for your BRB temps, humidity etc and leave it alone to settle and become comfortable in its new surroundings before you try and do anything else.

We used to have Columbian rainbow boas so very similar, you have got a young snake and it will take it a while to get used to handling, if it was in a shop it wont have been handled as much, snakes also don't tame down. Perseverance and handling is the the only way that your snake will see you as being no threat, unfortunately there is no set timescale for this.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000