The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 I've lost Jake,please help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mrsT Posted - 26/09/2010 : 15:52:48
Was taking Jake to rep shop today to get him sexed,when I got there I checked the box before I got out the car and he's gone.Its my own stupid fault,as the box prob wasn't secure enough.I feel awful...I've probably 'killed' him.
Can anyone give any tips that might help me find him.
Thanks for reading
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Taz Devil Posted - 30/09/2010 : 12:52:42
I hope you do find Jake soon.

Only advice I can give is to search every where. The only time Sid has been missing for any length of time, she turned up inside my computer wrapped around the wires leading from the PSU.

So they can get into places you wouldn't usually think of. Search every nook and cranny, under seats, inside them, boot, glove compartment.

Place a baking tray with flour sprinkled on it into the footwell of the car to catch any signs of movement. Bottle traps and if you can a heatmat with stat and possibly hide.

Good luck with the hunting.
mrsT Posted - 30/09/2010 : 11:00:37
no it was a bit chilly so I didn't have the windows open.
my neighbours must think I've lost the plot,as I'm constantly checking my car!It can be quite distracting when I'm driving lol.Hoping that one day he'll come slinking out while I'm in there.
Theres been no sign of him in the car.I took the bottle trap out for a couple of days...going to put it back in today he's always been a good feeder so should be really hungry by now.....I hope!
really missing him,me and hubby still keep looking in his viv expecting to see his little head poking out of his hide.
Sta~ple Posted - 28/09/2010 : 17:00:06
Was any of the windows open in the car ride?

Also, be careful when shutting your car doors and anything else now, snakes have a habit of sticking their heads out >.< I know it seems like I'm stating the obvious but the amount of times I have both viv doors open and I close one on oneside and catch a snake is often >.<
mrsT Posted - 28/09/2010 : 16:34:50
Thanks everyone for your advice.Jake is still missing
The bottle trap I left in my car hasn't been touched.I was really hopeful this would bring him out,as he was due for a feed.
Kellog - I've left a bowl of water in there and I'll definatley put and old t shirt or something in there - I'm willing to give anything a go!.He was in a viv but I have a cardboard box that I'm going to put some of his substrate and a hide in...maybe his own smell will bring him out of hiding.
Kellog Posted - 27/09/2010 : 03:07:44
Oh Carly, I am so sorry to hear what has happened. It is hard enough when a snake escapes at home (and Gaz is right, this is happening so often)....but for Jake to have escaped in the car is even worse.

Obviously the bottle traps are the right way to go, especially if he is due a feed. Paul's suggestion is a good one as long as you can do it safely. You can also use hot water bottles as long as they are well wrapped up so he cant come into direct contact with them.

Maybe put a pile of your clothes in one of the foot wells of the car....he may follow your smell and curl up inside them.

What is important is that you put water down for him. He can go without food for a long time but will need water.

I am not sure how helpful it may be but you could sprinkle a bit of flour in a line across a couple of the seats or in the foot wells....at least then you could see if there is any sign of movement through it.

I can understand your worries about him getting into the engine....and its not easy to search. Try using a good torch and a mirror, so you can inspect those awkward areas in the engine and the car.

Always think as if you are looking for something much smaller e.g. think you're looking for a contact lens.

I cant remember whether he was in a faun or a viv....if its a faun then I guess you could put it into the car....or at least create something with some of his substrate and his hides that mimics his home and what he is used to.

I know this is easy for me to type and hard for you to do....but please dont give up hope, corns are so hardy and we just have to pray that Jake will turn up in your car soon.

xxx
Paul82 Posted - 26/09/2010 : 18:27:54
as its starting to get cold, if u can and have an adapter for car cig lighter, put a heat mat on a tray with some bedding and a hide, u never kno mite work.

Hope u find him soon. Good luck
sly Posted - 26/09/2010 : 17:37:36
sorry to hear that

check along the trim at the bottom of the doors if he as got under the seats they might be able to get under the carpet check the boot spare wheel area etc. As sekia said check glove box and even behind take it off .hope ya find the little chap
fingers crossed
Gaz_1989 Posted - 26/09/2010 : 16:51:46
Hope you find him.

Also I hope this highlights to people how imperative it is to secure RUBs, Fauns, Vivs etc at all times. The amount of stories on here of lost snakes is unreal.

Keep us updated

Gaz
Sika Posted - 26/09/2010 : 16:42:53
Ohh just like my Aia.
Pray you find him! Can only think how worried I would be... :(
It would be so much easier if you could put a collar on them when taking them out :(
mrsT Posted - 26/09/2010 : 16:39:44
quote:
Originally posted by Sika

If I was you I would sleep in the car xD (If Jake is a friendly snake)...Then you'll probably hear him - and lay bells around in the car, cause then they'll ring if he glides by....
It would be so much easier to use flypaper, but not a good idea of co****!!!

i'm seriously conidering sleeping in the car Sika!He's a very tame snake.as soon as he hears me unlocking the viv he comes straight out to investigate!I just hold my hand out and he slithers up my arm
mrsT Posted - 26/09/2010 : 16:36:22
Thanks Hannah
I know I def had him when I got in the car -just been down and put a bottle trap in there.Unfortunatley the journey I took was down country lanes so not safe for me to go walking down.I did check all around where my car was parked at the start and finish of my journey and the parts of the road I can safely get too...but no Jake
Fingers crossed the bottle trap will work and I'll have him home soon
Sika Posted - 26/09/2010 : 16:36:03
If I was you I would sleep in the car xD (If Jake is a friendly snake)...Then you'll probably hear him - and lay bells around in the car, cause then they'll ring if he glides by....
It would be so much easier to use flypaper, but not a good idea of course!!!
HannahB Posted - 26/09/2010 : 16:13:55
check the whole journey you took from him being in his faun to him being in the car - just carefully and methodically check everywhere
not ideal i know but you could make some bottle traps for your car and the house - might help entice him out if he is in your car - il post the link in a min
mrsT Posted - 26/09/2010 : 16:11:49
Thanks for replying
I've checked everywhere i can get to...even lifted the bonnet to have a look at the engine!I'm gutted and so annoyed at myself.
he's due to be fed today so I'm going to make a bottle trap and hope he doesn't get out of it before I see him.
Scared that he'll make his way into the engine or something and get burned.
Really don't know what else to do????I just want to find him safe and sound
Sika Posted - 26/09/2010 : 16:00:19
Sorry to hear :(
Have you checked the whole car? under the seats, between the seats, under the mats, and every little hole in the interior?
And the glove-compartment?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000