The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Handling after feed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 26/09/2010 : 08:21:26
Hi Everyone,
Delilah shed for the first time with us yesterday - hurrah! She had confused us slightly because she didn't really get a blue eye just lighter in colour and she has eaten like a pig throughout. We fed her friday, she shed yesterday and did a massive poo and last night was tapping on the glass constantly to come out as she saw me sat next to her viv. I know you're not supposed to handle them for 48hrs after feeding but since she was asking and had obviously 'got rid' of the mouse during her shed could I have? She's such a sociable snake - we handle her everyday when she asks (except post feeding) she constantly asks on an evening. The other thing is if she has digested the pinkie quickly (she's 3 months old) should she go up to 2 pinkies each feed? You hardly see a bump anymore and she eats them really quickly.
Thanks for your help
Michelle
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gmac Posted - 26/09/2010 : 11:49:32
Corns will sometimes hold their need to go when they are going through the shedding process so it may be a case that the poo she left you was from her previous meal.
n/a Posted - 26/09/2010 : 11:46:35
Thank you, will def try her on 2 pinkies - I didn't handle her last night I was just wondering if I could of. I had to sit the other side of the room to avoid her cute face tapping at the glass. By the way this is all coming from someone who was totally against hubby getting a snake and now I'm addicted!
Thanks again
herriotfan Posted - 26/09/2010 : 09:02:46
Not all snakes look blue, some do just appear a bit cloudy or 'off' colour.
Some will quite happily carry on feeding and being handled, others hide away.
It is normal to leave them for 48 hrs to reduce the risk of a regurge. It could potentially do more harm than good to handle her too soon. (But we'll let you off this time if the pinky was so small it may well have been digested anyway!!)
That brings us onto the food. Try her on two pinkies for the next feed. If she's ok after that then give her two for a couple of feeds. If she's not regurging and is pooing and her normal self then move her up a size. But NO handling for that 48 hours!
The general rule is that the mouse should be 1.5 times the widest part of the snakes girth. Smaller is ok but not bigger!
Hope that helped.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000