The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New Viv (big post + pic heavy!)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
clintham Posted - 25/09/2010 : 20:57:14
so i pick up Cassius, my male carolina hatchie from CrazyJJ in exactly 2 weeks. here he is:

today i put the finishing touches on his new viv. im super excited so i thought i would share a few pics with you all. any thoughts, improvements or opinions much appreciated!

this is where is his viv is - in my bedroom in a sliding door wardrobe. its open 99% of the time.

its a vivexotic lx36. making it 36x15x16 (WxDxH). as you can see i have partitioned it as cassius is only a hatchie. every nook and cranny has been sealed with aquarium sealant. in the right hand side are a few things for when hes bigger - i couldnt resist buying them lol

close up of his partition. here you can see both his hides & water bowl etc.

close up of warm end. please note all rocks/stones and wood have been soaked in 10% bleach 90% water for 24 hours and have also been in the over at 130 degrees for 2 hours.

think he will like it?

close up of cool side - spot the hide?

my led lighting. turned out really really well. on its brightest of 6 settings here. 1 strip on each side of the partition.

more led lighting

all locked up so my 18 month old son cant get in!!

temps on display above viv

for when hes a bit bigger

i have definately gone a little over board but it is my first snake and i want him to be happy and healthy.
i have been lucky as i live in lincoln - there is a petshop that sells auboise by the bail for £8 and also lincoln has a large dunelm so i got all my plants for less than £8.50. both places suggested to me on this forum
most of my stuff is from ebay but i think i have spent about £150 - including the stuff i bought for when hes bigger.

thanks to everyone on these forums, before i came here i knew nothing about snakes now i feel confident i can look after my snake. i have had various problems and questions while building my viv and somebody experienced has helped me every step of the way.

roll on collection day!!!!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
clintham Posted - 16/10/2010 : 16:40:30
the plants are about 1 inch taller than the viv. i just wedged them upright. the partition is from some spare contiboard i had cut to size. i was going to screw it it place but it was a tight fit so i only used aquarum sealant to hold it in place.
if i can help you any more pls let me know
Sta~ple Posted - 16/10/2010 : 11:52:30
How did you make the plants at the side stand up vertically? And how did you partition it? I think I'm in need or partitioning my vivs for bigger and heavier water dishes.
Kellog Posted - 29/09/2010 : 05:53:45
quote:
Originally posted by ryanred5

I've found Kellogs post and pics that shows the red slide binder that she put on the inside piece of glass to stop her Corn getting out of his viv........

Wow Ryan, am rather embarrassed that anyone remembered about those pics and the slide binder ....and even more cross with myself for forgetting about it and not suggesting it !! Just glad you are on the ball ....thank you!

xxx
clintham Posted - 28/09/2010 : 10:12:26
wow very useful - thanks! i will definately be purchasing - £2.19 isnt much to stop my snake escaping!!
ryanred5 Posted - 28/09/2010 : 06:24:47
I know this is for 10 of the Slide Binders, but they are clear and only just over £2 with free postage, so not bad at all, here is the link:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Slide-Binders-6mm-CLEAR-Pack-10-FREE-POSTAGE-/380250998254?pt=UK_BOI_Office_Office_Supplies_Stationery_ET&hash=item5888b9c5ee
ryanred5 Posted - 28/09/2010 : 06:17:13
I've found Kellogs post and pics that shows the red slide binder that she put on the inside piece of glass to stop her Corn getting out of his viv. Here is the link I (if it takes you back to page 1, you will need to go to page 4 to find her post with the pics on):-

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6324&whichpage=4

Here is a link to the search I did for what Kellog used on her viv on Ebay, they are called Slide Binders, you can get them in different colours and also different widths (the width is what is opposite the slide opening):-

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=slide+binder&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_BOI_Office_Office_Supplies_Stationery_ET&_odkw=paper+slide+binder&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Hope these 2 links help.
crazy JJ Posted - 27/09/2010 : 14:29:21
lol good good :)
im almost excited for you lol :D
haha, i cant believe i got them yesterday and completly forgot to take piccies of them grrrr now the long dredded week grrr :/
clintham Posted - 27/09/2010 : 14:18:49
i know not long to go - im so excited now his viv is ready. had it running for a while now - temps are nice and steady - very little change really considering my stat is an on/off one.
i will be putting something in the glass, will be doing everything i can to minimise the chances of him escaping
looking forward to seeing your recent additions too
crazy JJ Posted - 27/09/2010 : 13:59:09
that looks amazing, he will abs love it in there :D i am sooooo glad he is going into a great home like that :) he is a lil rebel of a snakie so i would defo make sure inbetween the glass has something to stop him escaping it wasnt that long ago i completly forgot to do that when i moved pippa into her viv and she tried to get out (just after she had eaten) and actually got stuck in the middle (and of course it didnt help when ma cat was trying to get her either) and she has a few scratches, left blood on the glass but she is fine.
hmmm if i do say so myself he looks rather handsum in that piccie :) ;)

not long to goooo (then ya might even get to see ma new lil additions to)
clintham Posted - 27/09/2010 : 09:32:41
there does seem to be loads of escapees at the moment - lots of snakes to be renamed houdini when they return home!

i will defiantely do everything i can to stop cassius escaping - regardless of how it looks etc!
Kellog Posted - 27/09/2010 : 03:31:15
quote:
Originally posted by clintham

........but i will block the glass gap just for peace of mind.

........one week of work then one week of holiday so the waiting could be worse if i wasnt going on holiday for a week i would collect him sooner. seems stupid to go get him then go on holiday so im better off waiting. i want to make sure he settles in ok

You just have to look on the forum at the moment Lewis to see the amount of escapees....so although you are probably 99.9% sure that he wont get out of that gap, it is not worth taking that 0.1% risk....so I am glad you are going for the 'peace of mind' plan of action . Sta~ple is right, you would be amazed how much their heads can squish (my OH has proved it ) and wherever their heads can go their bodies can generally follow!

At least you have a holiday to look forward to before you get him, and you are right....it is daft getting him and then going off and leaving him ! You have waited this long, done this amount of research and work....a couple more weeks of waiting will be worth it once he is home .

xxx
rachiepotatoe Posted - 26/09/2010 : 16:47:08
That looks really awesome!
Makes my snake look neglected! haha
clintham Posted - 26/09/2010 : 16:30:12
Sta~ple - all the cable holes etc are blocked with aquarium sealant. im sure he cant escape other than through the gap in the glass & im still not sure he could do that. but i will block the glass gap just for peace of mind.

liam1996 - thats crazy! say thanks to your mum

smiffy89 - one week of work then one week of holiday so the waiting could be worse if i wasnt going on holiday for a week i would collect him sooner. seems stupid to go get him then go on holiday so im better off waiting. i want to make sure he settles in ok
smiffy89 Posted - 26/09/2010 : 15:29:50
i bet u cant wait to get him i bet ya fed up off waitn now n ya viv looks brill he will be one happy snake in there
n/a Posted - 26/09/2010 : 14:32:05
That looks fantastic,I love all the greenery and things and the led light looks great, might have to talk my mum into getting me some for Salizars viv.

Oh and mum said its a small world and glad the lock was ok, cause it was her that sold you it off ebay
Sta~ple Posted - 26/09/2010 : 14:19:02
I got mine xl from nottingham but I will be buying them online soon along with the next size mice for my hatchies :3
and no problem :P I just hope they will continue to keep selling Aubuoise.

I must admit, I haven't put my 7 month olds in a viv yet and it's a viv exotic, I am more worried about the cable holes at the top though than the glass although I have no doubt that if they squashed themselves down they could make it if deterimed. I stroke by big snakes head as he doesnt seem to mind and it's amazing how flat their heads can get!
tehbunneh Posted - 26/09/2010 : 13:21:30
Ripley escaped through a gap that small! They really do just squish themselves down and sidle on through! Just a small bit of card until he is too big to get through would really ease your mind!! Rippers disappeared for a whole 6-7mnths before being found outside on the patio eating a shrew! You'll really want to secure it so that you have peace of mind, trust me!

Otherwise, that Viv is AMAZING! Can you come and set up mine too? XD
clintham Posted - 26/09/2010 : 07:58:00
i have had a god look at the gap. its the thickness of my lock and only just that. so its 1mm.
surely not even a hatchie can get throught a 1mm gap?

i will probably get a folder thingy just for peace of mind
Kellog Posted - 26/09/2010 : 04:43:14
Lewis....it is not often I am left speechless, well almost ....but the amount of research and work you have put in before getting Cassius is amazing. That is a fantastic viv for him....he is definitely a very spoilt snake and I know that JJ will be over the moon that her little hatchling will be going to such a good home.

My only concern would be the 1/2mm gap in the glass. You would be amazed at what escape artists they are....just check out Zebedee, particularly the pic on the 2nd page where he was getting through a gap that was about 2mm....and I dont think he was as young as Cassius - Escape Artist!. But I am no expert with hatchlings so those who are can advise you better!

xxx
clintham Posted - 26/09/2010 : 00:15:24
mikeyd_24 - lots of homework indeed! thought i had a very long wait for my snake so i read & read & read then threw in a little planning!
my wife picked his name, i was really struggling for a name so when she suggested cassius, i really liked it - name decided
a second hatchie would be awesome but it was such hard work convincing my wife to let me have one, i think two would push her over the edge! plus eventually i would need another whole viv and theres just no room in our house - second baby on the way at the moment!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000