The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 handling has got me paranoid !

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 23/09/2010 : 20:31:35
i fed kalou on tuesday dinner time, (around 12.30 ish) and from 4 oclock today i have tried to handle 3 times. iv had him over a week now as some of you may know by previous threads, but he just wont seem to let my pick him up. i cant help but be nervous incase he strikes at me, but the 3 times i have had him on my hands he has tried to scarper! he jus seems to go into ''panik'' mode. he has managed to find the top of his viv, so as soon as i take the lid off he is trying to get out over the top, sly dog what he is..lol (even tho he is a snake, just a saying)

so im now getting paranoid incase i cant ''tame'' him so he will relax on me. i have been told he is around 4-5 month old. i really dont wana take him back to the pet shop, im soo determind to win this battle, but my nerves are shakey..

HELP !
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ryanred5 Posted - 25/09/2010 : 05:44:44
I know its hard when you have a thin worm acting all big and hard as that is what Phoenix is like atm. But as my son has already got Tango who is over a year old, I got used to handling him so I'm not scared when Phoenix decides to strike, I just pick her up and let her roam from hand to hand.

I'm not sure if anyone has said about wearing gloves when you pick Kalou, but that is something you could try if you haven't done so already. Although hatchling strikes and bites don't hurt at all, maybe the glove/gloves will give you the confidence to pick him up. You could take them off once he has settled down.

Good luck with picking Kalou up.
Kellog Posted - 25/09/2010 : 03:45:39
Craig, you've been given some really good advice here and the main thing to take on board is that what is happening with Kalou is NORMAL. Just try and imagine it....being that small and having this massive hand coming down on top of you !! It is no surprise he is reacting the way he is and he will continue to do so until he gets used to you and realises that you are not a threat.

One important thing I would say is that in your original post you say that 'from 4oclock today I have tried to handle 3 times'. Dont try to keep handling him a number of times as that will seriously stress him out.

I know some of the advice I am going to give has already been said, but think it is always worth repeating something if it helps....

One thing you need to remember is that Kalou has never been handled before, and corns dont really want to be handled and do just adjust to us handling them and then come to enjoy the time outside the viv, being able to explore etc.

I always fiddle with my snakes' substrate whenever I change their water, so every morning....just airing it and checking for poo, but it is a really good way to spread my smell around their viv. Also, when I go to handle them I go in slowly, and again I fiddle with the substrate a bit first because that way I am getting their scent on my hands, which I think must help in keeping them calm. It also warns them that you are in their viv so they are not surprised.

Neither of my corns come onto my hand....wanting to be picked up. It is a case of me choosing to pick them up from wherever they are in the viv. I know some of the forums' corns do this, but not all....so dont worry if he doesn't. I know that tehbunneh has suggested that you put your hand in and wait for Kalou to come to you, but that may not happen.

When you do pick him up try not to come at him from above (which I know must be really difficult in the faun he is in), but rather scoop him up from the sides....that will scare him less. Dont worry if he goes into one of his hides, just lift it off him gently and then pick him up.

Very calmly and confidently scoop him up, using both hands and being careful to support him so he isnt dangling. Hold him firmly and gently as he WILL try to escape from your grip (as you have experienced) - but that is a natural reaction for him and you must not react to it but continue as you are. Hold him fairly firmly but gently to bring him out of the faun. Once you have him out, sit with him (covering your lap with a towel is a good idea in case he decides to poo on you) and just let him run through your hands, moving one to the other to the other and so on. He is obviously seeming flighty and scared to...but again, you have to realise it is natural and something both he and you have to get used to. You must just be very calm and steady with your movements. Dont have him out for more than 5 minutes, and return him gently and calmly to the faun. Repeat again and again and again....(except for 48hrs after eating of course!)....and you will begin to notice a difference in his behaviour as he gets used to being handled and will begin to tolerate it. As he gets used to it so will you and your confidence will grow. You can then lengthen the amount of time you have him out and allow him to begin to explore your body and then around you...but that is a long way off. At the moment it is a case of quality not quantity.

He will be able to tell you are not confident and that will make him more stressed. It is a case of you needing to 'fake it until you feel it'....behave calmly and gently, with no sudden movements, and he will respond positively to that. His reaction when you go to pick him up will be a fear response....but that will lessen with time.

It really is a case of time and patience and quality of handling rather than quantity. Take it slow and trust yourself...only when you do that will he trust you.

quote:
Originally posted by parks

also i would love to know how to upload pics because i would love to show you guys him

This link will help you guide you on how to upload pics....and we cant wait to see pics of Kalou - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

xxx
drchino Posted - 24/09/2010 : 13:19:59
It took Izzy a month to settle down properly with me, she's still a bit nervous when I pick her up from the tank but she doesn't run and hide like she used too.
She's still young and some days she only ever wants to jump out of my hands!
n/a Posted - 24/09/2010 : 09:00:29
I'm the same with our snake (I've always had a fear of snakes but Delilah was so nice natured in the shop I said my husband could have her) - I want to get used to holding her. She is fine, has never struck even when our 2 year old holds her but when I start to think about the whole striking thing and she seems to sense it and tries to get away. I really do think they can tell if you're apprehensive. I know what you mean about dropping them - I get out a box which goes near my feet just in case. Keep persevering I'm sure he'll get used to you.
Michelle
n/a Posted - 24/09/2010 : 08:46:35
i am a lad, n i dont wear bra's..haha
Kehhlyr Posted - 23/09/2010 : 23:51:48
The idea of wearing a sock is not really for one off your feet though. That would be a bit excessive.
If you're a lass, then I'd recommend just tucking it in the middle of your bra for a couple hours, for a lad do the same.
tehbunneh Posted - 23/09/2010 : 21:18:28
You need the link, either from facebook, photobucket, tinypic or image shack, and you need to put the code around it. at either end of the link, with a / in front of the img part of the second, the one at the end of the link sooo...

Not sure if the BBCode coding works on this forum, but that's how it's done!

((If not, do the following, but without the fullstops in the bits!

[.img.]Link goes in here[/.img.]))
n/a Posted - 23/09/2010 : 21:15:16
aah its really appreciated guys,. i think he sort of knows that when i take off the lid that im coming for him so he tries to run and bury himself under the substrate, or runs straight in his hide. im goin to keep battling away with him.. i'l keep yous posted on how it goes.. also i would love to know how to upload pics because i would love to show you guys him
n/a Posted - 23/09/2010 : 21:01:32
Im new to this and mine is just over 4 months old, cant have been handled that much and I had him out last night for the first time to start taming and a feed. He was positively suicidal launching himself all over the place ha ha, was making me sweat around the collar a bit too. I Try again on Saturday... Good Luck with Kalou, i'm right there with ya!! :)
rachiepotatoe Posted - 23/09/2010 : 20:56:48
Don't worry, seriously :) it will be fine
Theyre all like it the first few weeks!
I thought exactly the same as you. when you handle him try to handle him over the viv because I found my hatchling was alot calmer when he was just inches off the bottom of his tank. then gradually you can bring him out, and you will eventually have a nice relaxed snake :)
n/a Posted - 23/09/2010 : 20:55:10
thanks chaps. iv only had him 8 days and im just really eager to have him on my hands, he has struck at me twice, but i have been told this was because i didnt allow him his 7 days to settle. its also the thought of picking him up and dropping him as he tries to flee and not being able to find him again. i bought him a little small artificial tree and he absolutely loves it. he just wraps himself around it and sits there for hours... arghhhhhhhh!! its soo frustratin but eventually im hoping i'l get there with him.
tehbunneh Posted - 23/09/2010 : 20:44:11
I think it is quite common for young snakes to be really skittish and generally nervous of being handled, and are very quick. I personally haven't had experience of younger snakes, as I got Ripley when he was about 8mnths, and he had always been a very calm snake.

All I can say is to steel your courage and continue to handle as often as possible. Ripley is very friendly and seeks out attention a lot of the time, despite being wild for a good 7mnths of his time in my family's care! Some snakes just simply are more friendly then others! All I can suggest is perhaps hold back on full holding, and instead continue to introduce your hand to his viv every day, probably more to evening time, as this is when I find Ripley is really active and curious, and just let Kalou get used to your smell, and let him come to you. I can understand the striking stance can be very intimidating and scary, Ripley has done it once or twice, and even rattled his tail VERY quickly, making a horrid 'shhhhh' sound, but as soon as he is picked up, he is fine and dandy and enjoys the time out. The more you let your snake smell you and get used to the fact that this holding business is NOT going to go away, you'll see improvement, I'm sure of it! It seems Kalou is just being a very stereotypical young corn and getting anxious over this new phenomenon of a hand coming to get him!

All I can say is be brave ^^ You will win your battle with him! If, however, he really does resent the handling, you may just have to accept that handling is not for Kalou! My brother's previous corn was called Trigger for a reason! He just hated handling and was impossible to get out to feed, so had to go back, because he did sink his teeth in on more then one occassion. I think, if he was going to bite you, he really would have made the effort by now to actually get you ^^

I hope this helps steel your courage! I'm sure he is just as nervous of you as you are of him, and it is probably being communicated through the attempts at handling! Take it slow, and it will come to you!
herriotfan Posted - 23/09/2010 : 20:42:14
It's still early days with your snake. It can take a lot longer for them to settle in. Just over a week is no time at all so please don't worry.
It's perfectly normal for a young snake to be fast and nervous. You are much bigger than him so he thinks he could be your dinner......it's natural for him to want to scarper!
Don't worry about being bitten, it won't hurt even if he does bite but it sounds as if he'd rather get away than stay and fight.
Try to stay calm and just 'go for it' when you pick him up. If you lack confidence he'll pick up on it.
You could try putting an old bit of clothing in his viv so he gets used to your scent in a secure, safe place. Just tuck an old sock in your top for the day then pop it in his favourite hide.
It's all aquestion of confidence and giving yourself and your snake time to get to know each other. It will all work out ok.

P.S had already written this before I saw your post about the socks!!
n/a Posted - 23/09/2010 : 20:34:29
sorry i forgot to mention, i have now placed a sock i was wearing yesterday in his viv.. im hoping this wil calm him down, because iv been told off fellow members this is a very good tip

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000