The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 I did it...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 22/09/2010 : 21:39:07
...well not me personnaly - Mr Slinky (Don't ask) takes most or all of the credit.

He came out for the first time today as he has been here for a week, very very timid and soooo quick he almost flew out of my hands, eek.
Anyway, i thought as it was about 2 weeks since he last ate i would offer him some tea, he took it straight away and seemed to be satisfied afterwards. I was not sure whether to feed him as he seems to have gone quite dull today, was normal yesterday, I have not noticed his eyes be cloudy at all so i am wondering if he is about to shed, but as the pinkie was all ready i thought i would offer, i hope that was ok, but i figured if he didnt want it then he wouldn't have it . I can't believe i now have to wait till saturday morning to play again but ah well. We need to work on his tameness and his suicidal speed, as soon as i twitched or moved slighty he was off.

I weighed him before he ate and he was 40g on the nose, i set up my ruler to take a pic for a length but he would not really uncoil, so i gave up, i'd say he was just over a foot long. Does 40g sound about right for a 4 month old?

I will get some photos but the room light is not great and didnt want to flash him (make of that what you will) and put him off his food.

Sorry to ramble.... Just so pleased
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 25/09/2010 : 15:55:57
so glad hes settled in ok and shed alright
n/a Posted - 25/09/2010 : 12:13:43
Thanks Kellog

Mr Slinky did shed and he shed last night while I was out helping friends move. I came back to turn off the lights for the tort and noticed his skin stretched across the faun... I’m sorry I missed it but it was a complete shed including eye caps and tail tip so I am really pleased with him. He is a totally different snake this morning too, (not only is he brighter) he is a lot calmer and a lot friendlier and no where near as flighty or nippy. I think that I will take a leaf out of your book and just leave him be when he is in shed; he is obviously not a happy snake when he is so I will leave him to get on with it. I have some pictures of him now so I will attempt to upload them to the picture section shortly to show off. Thanks again for the advice :)
Kellog Posted - 25/09/2010 : 04:16:28
That is fantastic news Tom, I am so pleased that Mr Slinky ate for you....it is such a relief getting that first feed out of the way and amazing to watch! Love the name, we already have a snake called Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell who belongs to a forum member!

They are amazingly quick and I am sure you will get there with calming him down. This thread may be worth a look at to give you some hints on handling - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8735

It may be that he is going 'blue', their general colour does dull down, particularly on their bellies, before their eyes go cloudy. It wont be a problem at all with him having fed....he obviously didnt mind !

It is a personal choice I think about feeding and handling during the period of them going blue and shedding. I am one of those owners who has chosen not to feed or handle. To my thinking they are very vulnerable at this time as their eyesight is compromised, so in the wild they would be hidden away....not out looking for food. I also know that missing one meal isnt going to make any difference. BUT this is only my personal choice and I know lots of members do feed their snakes - and, as FiestaSTLou has said, some snakes will feed while blue but others wont. I also dont handle during this time, as even once their eyes have cleared they are partially blind and I want to avoid as much stress for them as possible (probably the hardest time for me as I get withdrawal symptoms from not having my snake time !!).

If Mr Slinky is going 'blue' then remember that his eyes will clear after a few days and his skin will also look normal....but it will be another 4/5 days until he sheds (Silvesta just took 10 days from his eyes clearing to shedding !!).

A few days after his eyes have cleared what you need to look out for is him being a bit more active, then rubbing his head along the sides of his viv, hide, any branches, etc. This happens because he is trying to loosen the shed from around his jaw....and once that has loosened then it can happen very quickly! But be warned....I am convinced there is a corn-conspiracy ! They seem to wait until their owners leave the room and then slip out of their old skin and slither round quite happily in their new bright colours showing them off when their owners return to the room....with their old skin lying forlorn in the corner . Seriously though, a lot of corns shed at night and I know a number of members havent had the chance to see their corns shed....despite keeping them for a number of years. So I really do hope you get lucky and get to see Mr Slinky shed.

What is vital once he has shed is checking the shed skin for the eye caps and tail tip....as if these are retained they can cause problems. If the shed is not a clean one then you know where you can come for help .

xxx

n/a Posted - 23/09/2010 : 20:55:30
Thank you both. The name just sort of happened, and stuck lol
Im still not sure whether he is in shed, but I only noticed dullness yesterday for first time.
drchino Posted - 23/09/2010 : 14:52:35
Great name
FiestaSTLou Posted - 23/09/2010 : 10:28:45
nothing wrong with feeding whilst they are in shed, i offer all 3 of my snakes food whilst their shedding, 2 will always take but 1 wont, each snakes diff :) glad he ate tho :) and love the name haha!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000