The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Glass Vivarium?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AngelX Posted - 20/09/2010 : 19:24:50
Hello, My friend was thinking of getting a snake, and she was wandering of using her glass aquarium that her fish used to be in. I know that the heat mat has to be different but I don't know where. Are there any other tips I need to know about using glass tanks? Tahh
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AngelX Posted - 21/09/2010 : 20:35:04
Thanks guys, will tell her that :)
hiper2009 Posted - 21/09/2010 : 15:58:21
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

you'll need an air gap under the tank otherwise you can crack the glass (even if the mat is statted) and whatever you do, don't use the fish tank lid - they are no where near secure enough ;)

^^ Agree with you there Ian , And also some times snakey can become stressed with all the sides on open view so best to cover up some of the sides.
eeji Posted - 20/09/2010 : 22:12:08
you'll need an air gap under the tank otherwise you can crack the glass (even if the mat is statted) and whatever you do, don't use the fish tank lid - they are no where near secure enough ;)
rachiepotatoe Posted - 20/09/2010 : 21:45:01
Yeah I have a glass one too. best to get a heat mat which sticks to the bottom of the tank outside of it. I use an exo terra one :)
NikkiLian Posted - 20/09/2010 : 21:21:58
Both my snakes are in glass tanks that used to be fish tanks and I've never had any problems. I've got the proper glass heatmats that stick on the bottom of the outside of the tank. We just added some vents in the wooden hood and as I said, I've had no problems. Just make sure the mat is statted as glass tanks can have problems with retaining heat. Hope this helps
Figs Posted - 20/09/2010 : 20:10:58
My Felix lives in a glass tank right now - its a proper reptile one, not a fish tank though.
The heatmat is on the floor

You might have to do something about the lid though; most fish tanks i've seen just have sit-on-the-top type lids and arent great for ventilation
Stacii Posted - 20/09/2010 : 19:43:21
i have a glass tank which was a fish tank thats been "fixed" so that its closed on top with mesh and has doors

the heatmat is underneath the tank :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000