The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 new corn snake and snake owner !

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 17/09/2010 : 21:05:45
hi everyone.. i have had my new corn snake for 2 days now and im really looking forward to raising him. i forgot to ask how old he is when i bought him, but id say around a month or so, but i have afew questions or queries id like advice on..

firstly, i understand he will be nervous being in his new home, and when i put my hand in to pick him up he seems to cower away from me. i know he will grow out of this, but roughly how long before he gets used to me and his new home?

secondly, i was told from the pet store that i am to feed him one pinkie every 7 days, but i read that feeding every 4 days should be required?, here i am confused if every 4 days, then leaving him alone for 3 days to digest would leave no days for handling!? so should i go for once every 7 days, leaving 3 days digesting time, and 3 days handling time?

thirdly, i read that ppl say its best to feed him outside his viv, thus, teaching him that when i put my hand inside i am not food, or does it matter if i feed him inside?

and finally, when i am actually handling him, how long shal i have him on me and out the viv?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 19/09/2010 : 20:37:08
quote:

We will want a report back as soon as it comes to feeding time !

xxx

lol, yeah i will report after his first feed. hopefully all wil go well, and the first two times i handled him (very silly of me i know) will not have been too much of a problem. just excitement got the better of me. but his welfare is more important so im allowing him to settle and hopefully he'l be ok around me
Kellog Posted - 19/09/2010 : 04:44:19
I find it a good idea to keep track of my snakes weight....actually have a diary for each of them noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

As far as weighing goes I weigh them on digital scales immediately before a feed, putting them in a shoe box as they are adults but I am sure you can find something suitable. Having an idea of his weight also helps you work out if he is on the right prey, although only if you take into consideration whether there is a bump after he has eaten or not....it is all a case of common sense and knowing your snake rather than a hard and fast rule.

I know it is really tempting to get him out at the moment, but it is best to try and leave him for that settling in period....it is much better that he feels safe and secure in his home before you start handling him. I know you think he is watching you wanting to come out but you do have to be careful.....he is probably just seeing what the movement is and keeping an eye on everything. The fact that you are getting your scent into his viv (from your other thread) and that he is taking so much interest is really positive.

Personally I am pleased you are opting for feeding out of the viv....but that is only my personal opinion. It is probably best if you leave him for a few more days til its been the week since you got him, then feed him, then wait the 48hrs....then you finally get to handle him. I know you would love to do it the other way around, handling first and then feeding, but it really is the best way to do it. Just move him carefully into a RUB and offer him his pinkie and hopefully he will take it. If he doesnt then leave it with him in the RUB for a bit, covering it so it is dark. If the worst comes to the worst you can, as holmesjohn said, leave the pinkie in his viv overnight but I would suggest you put it on something rather than straight on the substrate.

We will want a report back as soon as it comes to feeding time !

xxx
n/a Posted - 18/09/2010 : 18:11:07
I fed my snake for first time other day. Dont panic like i did when he wasnt interested in the food. If he doesnt take then leave it in the viv with him over night and hopefully will be gone in morning like mine.

Thats if he doesnt gobble it up first time :)
n/a Posted - 18/09/2010 : 09:46:06
thanks kellog. all help i can get will be appreciated. im not sure how much he weighs but im guessing he is no older than 12 weeks or so. i have handled him twice already for only 2-3 mins then popped him back. i only picked him up because both times he seemed to be ''watching'' me and climbing up the side of the viv, so i thought ''oh, do u want out little guy''..lol i will leave him for afew more days before i bother him again. when it comes to feeding day, i think i will opt for feeding outside the viv. i have children around which i dont want the snake to strike at if they go to pick him up. they will always be supervised at all times.
Kellog Posted - 18/09/2010 : 04:14:00
Hi Craig. Congrats on your new snake . Gmac has given you the best advice possible....all I will do is enlarge on it a bit.

Unfortunately you have discovered what a lot of us already know, that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Gmac is right about your new snake needing time to get used to his new home....which is why he is cowering away from you. No handling or feeding for the first week allows him to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you.

If he is being fed one pinkie then it should be fed every 5/6 days, and, as Gmac said, not handled for 48hrs after feeding. You say that you dont know how old it is, do you know how much it weighs?

There are differing opinions on whether you should feed inside the viv or not. Viv defensiveness is often given as a reason to feed outside the viv but I must admit that I have not heard of that being a problem. One of the main reasons given for feeding outside the viv is to avoid the snake swallowing any substrate while it eats, which can cause impaction. You can get around this and still feed inside the viv by putting down a tile or plate or paper for the snake to feed off, although there is always the concern that it may pull its meal off whatever you have put in. Another plus to feeding outside the viv is that there is a better chance to get some great feeding shots . But, at the end of the day, it is down to your personal choice and no-one can say what is right or wrong.

This is quite a good thread to read through when it comes to you handling him - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8735. It really is a case of quality not quantity.

(Sorry G, didnt mean to repeat everything you said but you give such good advice I had to agree !)

xxx
n/a Posted - 17/09/2010 : 21:54:16
thanks for that.. i will take note of your advice
gmac Posted - 17/09/2010 : 21:39:28
hiya and welcome my replies in red

hi everyone.. i have had my new corn snake for 2 days now and im really looking forward to raising him. i forgot to ask how old he is when i bought him, but id say around a month or so, but i have afew questions or queries id like advice on..

firstly, i understand he will be nervous being in his new home, and when i put my hand in to pick him up he seems to cower away from me. i know he will grow out of this, but roughly how long before he gets used to me and his new home?

it is a young snake you have so will be naturally nervous and as youve just got him he will need a bit of getting used to his new home, i would suggest you leave him for 7 days to settle only going in to change his water.

secondly, i was told from the pet store that i am to feed him one pinkie every 7 days, but i read that feeding every 4 days should be required?, here i am confused if every 4 days, then leaving him alone for 3 days to digest would leave no days for handling!? so should i go for once every 7 days, leaving 3 days digesting time, and 3 days handling time?

feeding is best for young snakes very 5-7 days, and no handling for 48 hours after feeding will be fine

thirdly, i read that ppl say its best to feed him outside his viv, thus, teaching him that when i put my hand inside i am not food, or does it matter if i feed him inside?

feeding outside vivs / rubs is really only necessary where snakes can get viv defensive, corns dont generally get viv defensive so it is up to you where you feed him.

and finally, when i am actually handling him, how long shal i have him on me and out the viv?

letting him get used to you i would handle at first for 5 minutes a day working up to 15 minutes.

have fun

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000