The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Vivarium/ kit

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
meesh505 Posted - 16/09/2010 : 16:53:19
Hiya guys n gals

I am working on getting my other half to let me get a Corn, so am getting everything ready!
I have an old aquarium which I have refurbished for use, its a 36x12x15" tank with no suitable lid, I built one out of pine but cant use it since it toxic to the snake.

I am getting prices for any and all kit I need ie lid, heater, stat and thermometers.

I have found a viv lid online that will fit my tank but am unsure if it will be suitable, can you guys have a look at it and give me some info on it as its not expensive but dont want to waste money if its not the best product to use.

http://www.bitsforpets.com/mesh-covered-vivarium-lid-36x12-p-3726.html

from the tech info the good points I can see is that it supposedly clips onto the tank so the snake shouldnt be able to escape, and its not too expensive!

One concern I have is the mesh? Is this going to cause temp issues? Also is the mesh a danger to the snake?

I know this product has no hatch etc but have no issue removing the whole thing each day to change the water as its light weight and used to this with my old aquarium anyway!

Can anyone see any problems with this hood or any advice?

I have been looking at heat matts and thermostats but there are quite a few choices, can anyone recommend a type/brand of these that are a good price verses performance? Il need a matt thats 12" since its recommended to cover 1/3 -1/2 of the tank. Have very little knowledge of the thermostats so advice or a recomemded type would be great help!

Links to the products would be awesome if you guys have found a product or trusted seller whos not a rip off merchant lol

I know its not recommended to have a small snake in a big tank but feel i can provide enough hides and coverage to make it feel secure and if this doesnt suit the snake i will set up a small RUB inside the big tank or seperate the tank in 2 till its bigger!

Would love to hear your opinions and welcome all help with this!

Thanks everyone!!

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
meesh505 Posted - 18/09/2010 : 14:19:22
I ordered 2 of those thermometers aswell, bet the seller is wondering whats going on lol, looks like it'll take forever for them to arrive so might get other ones from pet shop and keep the ebay ones for my fish, not gonna wait 3-4 weeks for thermometers since want it all set up and temp stable so can go get my new friend!
Have got the tank hood, thermostat and heat matt ordered so should get them next week, those are the biggest things, then its just to get the stuff for in the tank, water bowl and bath, hides etc!
Called my local (ish) pet store in Glasgow, they have several morphs available, i like the anery corns but will see when i go in in a few weeks!
rachiepotatoe Posted - 16/09/2010 : 22:24:15
Reeesult on those thermometers :D !
yayyy
liesela Posted - 16/09/2010 : 22:04:28
wow score on the thermometers! I've just bought one for mytika, maybe now i can solve the mystery of his viv temp! :D Thanks!!!
ryanred5 Posted - 16/09/2010 : 21:49:33
quote:
Originally posted by FiestaSTLou

Im in the process of getting a new set up together for a new arrival, just got some digital thermometers from ebay for £2! i already use them for our other snakes and they work great! heres the link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Digital-LCD-C-F-Mode-Thermometer-Tank-Water-/320585284184?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4aa45f3a58

I've got those thermometers on both of my fish tanks and they are great.

However I wanted the twin probed thermometers which show both temps at the same time for Tango and Phoenix as you just have one unit to deal with and its easy to see both temps.
ryanred5 Posted - 16/09/2010 : 21:39:48
Here is another Clear-seal lid that you can use, its got a glass opening, a mesh panel and a place to put a bulb if you wanted to and its the same price as the other one, heres the link http://www.bitsforpets.com/36x12-vivarium-lid-p-2547.html
meesh505 Posted - 16/09/2010 : 17:23:58
I annoyed him a little more, he said if i REALLY want one then YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sta~ple Posted - 16/09/2010 : 17:16:16
Mesh is fine, I had mesh for mine once and I had no issues but I was using a bulb, I have no idea what it would be like eith a heat mat but I don't think it will make a difference.

Habistat or micoclimate are good brands, I wouldn't go for anything cheap from China or made in China from e-bay (thermometers your probably fine with), but don't buy their heat mats. You can get some good deals off some people on e-bay though, just make sure you buy stuff from the UK. Heatmat sizes good for you tank are 11 x 11 or 17 x 11. As for stat, you just need one that will work for a mat, so a mat stat that goes on/off or a pulse stat are your options.

As for good sites, e-bay and look in the link section of the forum :)
CSN Posted - 16/09/2010 : 17:11:45
nice little find there lou i might have to stock up on them
gingerpony Posted - 16/09/2010 : 17:04:17
it doesn't actually say how the lid is secured........i think it would be worth asking the seller how it fastens otherwise the snake might be able to push it open enough to escape!

if it IS escape-proof then it looks fine
FiestaSTLou Posted - 16/09/2010 : 16:55:36
Im in the process of getting a new set up together for a new arrival, just got some digital thermometers from ebay for £2! i already use them for our other snakes and they work great! heres the link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Digital-LCD-C-F-Mode-Thermometer-Tank-Water-/320585284184?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4aa45f3a58

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000