The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 waterrrrr

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
miss_mystra Posted - 16/09/2010 : 11:09:45
Odd question... our tap water is hideous... now i'm not one of those people who get icky over drinking tap water and demand the purest mineral water or anything but ours is minging!

Would snakey be ok having water from the minging tap or would they be better off having some filtered stuff. Like i said we're not filtering because we're fussy it's just horrible water (the filter has all black stuff in from it!) I would rather drink from a swamp!! :P what do you think?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 13/02/2011 : 02:52:01
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Clorine I would guess is fine for snakes, mine don't look any worse for it. We use it for our cats, chickens and dig and they are fine. If people can drink it, I don't see why animals can't. If it's something that lives in water that's generally when the chlorine is a no-no. I don't know if you know this but there was a study done against tap water and bottled water, although this was done on the US that was surprising. T I have no idea how the water difference in the UK is but watch this video on this page, it's interesting. You could be buying bottled water that is exactly the same as tap water.

http://travelogue.travelvice.com/turkey/bottled-water-is-bull****/

Peckham Spring?

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Water is water. Infinitely small quantities of stuff in water makes no difference to anything. It is only clever advertisers and dumb consumers that believe that bottled water provides anything other than hydration, in the same way tap water is perfectly safe, free from anything that can harm anything and provides, you guessed it, hydration. If you want to give bottled water, go for it, I'd rather spend my money on better things but each to their own, I personally give tap water, I drink it myself too, and my fish live in it, my dog wont drink anything else, my plants love the stuff too.

I have to agree with this.

...apart from the plant bit, I have a habit of (unintentionally) killing plants :D
DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/02/2011 : 01:00:45
All of mine get tap water, and the tap water at my mums isn't great.
catwig Posted - 13/02/2011 : 00:33:43
I use tap water. I asked ppl where i got my snakes from what water they where drinking
lotabob Posted - 13/02/2011 : 00:20:49
Water is water. Infinitely small quantities of stuff in water makes no difference to anything. It is only clever advertisers and dumb consumers that believe that bottled water provides anything other than hydration, in the same way tap water is perfectly safe, free from anything that can harm anything and provides, you guessed it, hydration. If you want to give bottled water, go for it, I'd rather spend my money on better things but each to their own, I personally give tap water, I drink it myself too, and my fish live in it, my dog wont drink anything else, my plants love the stuff too.
Dr Lupus Posted - 12/02/2011 : 23:43:38
I give Lu bottled water - but he has Buxton water which come naturally from up the road lol - so it's similar to what he was having b4 but without as many human chemicals :)
mikerichards Posted - 17/09/2010 : 23:59:32
Water from the tap is fine, its perfectly safe for the snake, its perfectly safe for us, with exception of a major contamination all the water supplied through the water mains is drinkable, and clean.
Whoever says tap water is bad for the snakes is talking complete rubbish, for a start they drink far worse in the wild, and can cope with more than we could ever do.
people who give the snake bottled water are just spending money they dont need to spend.
ryanred5 Posted - 17/09/2010 : 20:10:59
We have a HMA unit (very similar to a RO unit) which we use for water changes in the fish tanks. The unit basically removes heavy metals out of the water and filters it, however its not quite as pure as RO water.

The HMA water is nice to drink in winter when the water coming in is cold, it tastes so clean and makes a lovely cup of
tea.

I would use that water for the snakes but the unit is downstairs and the snakes are upstairs, so I'm afraid they just get water from the tap.
Tiffany-x Posted - 17/09/2010 : 17:13:11
I think water is water to a snake, whether it tastespoopor not! :P
Tiffany-x
miss_mystra Posted - 17/09/2010 : 17:00:29
the black bits would be fine if it wasn't for the fact our water just tastes minging lol normally i prefer the old council pop to anything but since i've moved to London it's foul lol..plus our plumbings sopoopin the summer it takes 20 mins of the tap on full for anything colder than lukewarm to come out to drink lol :P yummy!
Tiffany-x Posted - 17/09/2010 : 16:57:47
Hey anyone with hard water should be really grateful! The compounds that are disolved in it means you are less likely to get heart disease. As for your snake chlorine is safe in the quantities used in tap water and the fluorine is totally harmless, if anything its helpful. Its very good for teeth! All the other things found in water are to such a minority that it is harmless but "black bits" the like muddy grains that comes out in water filters doesnt make any difference to the water and its not dirty. Its definitely safe. The only good done in boiling water is killing bacteria as you all probably know so tap water I imagine is fine, its the same as bottled water apart from bottled water has more preservants because it isnt flowing and is store for longer amounts of time, the only good thing about bottled water is extra minerals which might not even benefit little snakey. :)
Tiffany-x
n/a Posted - 17/09/2010 : 16:35:54
I give Ruby and Savara filtered water but here in Wiltshire we have really hard water which is why the water is filtered in the 1st place.
gregDT Posted - 17/09/2010 : 10:17:08
As I understand it (and don't rely o this it's just what I heard) chlorinated tap water can be left for several days and still be perfectly safe to drink. I'd imagine the main problem with leaving water in a vivarium for several days would be the slight chance the snake might poo in it.

Again I don't know how that relates to non chlorinated water though. The man from the Environment Agency said he wouldn't drink non chlorinated (bottled) water that had been left exposed to the air for more than twelve hours ??
Scarlett Posted - 16/09/2010 : 23:52:38
Anything you get nowadays will be filled with something nasty. The body just gets used to it. My snakey's get filtered water, as our taps leave a horrible metallic taste and I don't like our water myself, therefore I wouldn't give it to my animals lol. And they get a drop of reptisafe if it has come from the tap.

I also don't change the water every day, it's usually every other day. I just figure that in the wild they wouldn't necessarily find a water source to drink from every day let alone one that's clean. So I'm sure they can cope with day old, slightly warm water that's all their's to drink.
FiestaSTLou Posted - 16/09/2010 : 15:44:07
reminds me of when coke bought out their own "special bottled water" claimed to be from all special sources then it was found out it was just coming out the tap! haha
Sta~ple Posted - 16/09/2010 : 15:13:36
Clorine I would guess is fine for snakes, mine don't look any worse for it. We use it for our cats, chickens and dig and they are fine. If people can drink it, I don't see why animals can't. If it's something that lives in water that's generally when the chlorine is a no-no. I don't know if you know this but there was a study done against tap water and bottled water, although this was done on the US that was surprising. T I have no idea how the water difference in the UK is but watch this video on this page, it's interesting. You could be buying bottled water that is exactly the same as tap water.

http://travelogue.travelvice.com/turkey/bottled-water-is-bull****/

FiestaSTLou Posted - 16/09/2010 : 14:49:07
surly tho bottled water would contain some kind of chemicals to keep it clean and keep without contamination as such?
mikeyd_26 Posted - 16/09/2010 : 14:33:37
I use bottled water for mine - just because i was told it was better due to the chemicals used in tap water to treat it, can cause gases which might make a young snake ill - not sure how much truth there is in that but dont mind spoiling them with a bottle of volvic! lol
FiestaSTLou Posted - 16/09/2010 : 14:23:22
thats a good debate, is it safe with the chlorine in it or unsafe without because of risk of contamination?

Greg im thank full of my chiltern chalky water now u mentioned that haha! even if it does come out the tap white! im in bucks so i assume our waters quite similar lol
gregDT Posted - 16/09/2010 : 14:04:24
Oddly enough the very hard tap water that comes from the Chilterns is quite pure. A bloke from the Environment Agency came to do a routine check of our mains water and commented that our water was the purest, least full of additives and generally the nicest water going. Not much fun for our kettles and washing machines as it's so hard but great for us. He said that the 'sweeter' tasting water from other parts of the UK tastes that way due to it being laced with fluoride. It's been through the system many times and fluoridation is part of the process of making it drinkable again. The water from where I live, Hertfordshire, comes straight from natural artesian wells and has been down there for ages. It's also been filtered through hundreds of feet of rock, hence the reason why it contains very little in the way of additives.

However all water contains chlorine and I have no idea how that affects a snake. It's important to note that he did say that if I carbon filtered my water (Britta etc.) I should never leave it standing for more than 12 hours as it could pick up airborne germs which can multiply in de-chlorinated water. So that begs the question as to whether it's wise to leave a bowl of water for a snake that has no chlorine in it for more than half a day, even if it's been boiled?
Sta~ple Posted - 16/09/2010 : 13:18:30
I use normal tap water but I have actually found that they do prefer boiled water that has cool down for what ever reason, they do know the difference!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000