The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Hmmmm

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
headlow Posted - 01/09/2010 : 16:36:27
Hello there folks. I was away in England all of last week helping a friend move house. Whilst I was away my bro in law looked after my snakes.

Now his son is my Godson, and despite only being 3 is really interested in snakes and is always asking questions about them. The little fella also has no fear, and has handled all of mine, under my supervision of course, including my MBK.....apart from me he's the only person to do so.

Now, I had planned to get him a corn snake when he was a little older, but now I'm thinking maybe about getting him one for Christmas. Bearing in mind that his Dad is able to look after snakes (he also helps out with his mates boa's), and I'm here to help do you think that 3 is too young?
He knows not to open tanks, and helps me to change water.....he even knows when a snake is due to shed, and is very gentle when handling them.

What do you think?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tiffany-x Posted - 17/10/2010 : 14:52:44
This is such a wonderful story, I hope that he keeps up like this. My cousin is 4 and still cant understand not to pull my dogs tail so he certainly is a very mature little boy! You must be very proud of him. I really cant express how great I think this is, you have done such a wonderful thing for Caleb and Im sure he will love you forever for it 'cause I know I would! :P
Tiffany-x
headlow Posted - 17/10/2010 : 13:09:30
Another little update.

Woody is half way through his settling in week. He hasn't been handled, and the faun has only been open to change the water, which Caleb has insisted on doing himself :)
He's told me he has to keep Woody's house closed so he doesn't get lost, so he definitely understands. He tells me that Woody sleeps during the day, but comes out for a 'walk' at night.
I'll be going round on Wednesday to oversee the first feed, so hopefully I'll get some pics then.
headlow Posted - 15/10/2010 : 15:44:19
I'd love to Kellog, but I'm at my limit with 5. There's literally no more space in my room as it is :)
Kellog Posted - 15/10/2010 : 03:43:04
I can just imagine how Caleb reacted (nice to know his name and not have to keep referring to him as 'your God-son ) and I must say how impressed I am with how well controlled he is and how much he understands for a 3yr old....I know a lot of 3yr olds and older who would have thrown massive tantrums if they couldnt hold 'their' snake!

Woody is a great name and its lovely that he was able to decorate Woody's home, having him so involved is wonderful. It did make me smile having his nursery teacher check with his dad to make sure Caleb wasnt telling tales about having his own snake .

quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

........perhaps you could get your brother to sign up here to post us pics and updates on Woody?

Already had that idea Hillzi, although it probably got missed in my long posts !

quote:
Originally posted by headlow

........the guy has Woody's sister in the shop and I'm sorely tempted!

Its about time you got a new one Justin, you have gone since January without feeding your corn addiction....

xxx

headlow Posted - 14/10/2010 : 20:14:18
I'll say to my sister and bro in law about signing up, and if they don't I'm sure I'll be posting plenty of pics.

I tell ya what though, the guy has Woody's sister in the shop and I'm sorely tempted!
hillzi Posted - 14/10/2010 : 20:00:08
Nice idea, well thought out too Justin, prehaps you could get your brother to sign up here to post us pics and updates on Woody?

headlow Posted - 14/10/2010 : 19:55:16
It was a surprise indeed. He was hyper. The snake is a lovely little thing, so tiny. Being a 3 year old and mad about Toy Story Caleb has decided that the snakes name is Woody. He wanted to handle Woody straight away, but there were no tantrums when I explained that the snake needed to settle in. I suppose because he spends so much time in my room with the snakes he's gotten used to the fact that snakes can't always be 'played' with. Once I got the heat mat and thermometers sorted, Caleb took over decorating the Faun. Put it this way, the snake will have no problem feeling secure lol.

He also told his nursery teacher today about the snake. She mustn't have believed him, cos she asked my dad about it when he picked him up :)
Kellog Posted - 14/10/2010 : 10:22:38
What a gorgeous pic of your God-son Justin ....and of your milk snake ! He really does seem totally calm and happy handling it and the snake seems unstressed as well....wonderful to see.

Sounds like you have a great plan and the fact that you live so close is wonderful. Your God-son really is lucky to have a God-father who is as involved in his life as you are.

What a surprise he is going to get when you appear with HIS snake !!

xxx
headlow Posted - 13/10/2010 : 07:54:58
I think the plan is that we're due to pick the snake up around seven this evening. My Godson/nephew doesn't know anything about it yet, so it'll be a nice surprise for him.
I have all the accessories disinfected, and in a bag, so once we pick the snake, faun and thermometers up we'll be heading to their house to set it up. Shouldn't take to long.
I live about a 2 minute walk away from their house, so I'm always close by in emergencies.

Here's a pic of the little guy with my Mexican Milk.....
Kellog Posted - 13/10/2010 : 03:49:05
Know I am coming late to this thread and you will be picking up your God-son's snake today, but I think it is a great age to get him involved. The danger is when they are a bit older and show an interest and get the snake, are really excited about it for a few weeks and then get bored and move onto something else. But at your God-son's age it means he is too young to know any different really and will grow up with HIS snake....which I think is fantastic. Not only will he be a snake-lover , but he will grow up understanding the responsibility and commitment necessary in having a pet and that is great for him to learn early as it doesnt only impact on having a pet but on life in general. (deep thought for nearly 4am !)

Its great that his parents are ok about this and your brother is knowledgeable enough to care for the snake (as it will be his responsibility for quite a few years yet )....and, of course, you are on hand to offer all the help and advice they need. How far away do you live from them? Maybe point them in the direction of the forum....you know how we love new members !

What is your plan? You are picking the snake up today, then setting everything up at your God-son's for the settling-in week?

xxx

gingerpony Posted - 11/10/2010 : 10:48:37
i think it's great if eveyone's on-side and happy with it

my 3 year old daughter has been brought up around corns and boas and is very confident, she's even claimed Petal (3yo male hypo corn) for herself lol
she's been allowed to handle them, under supervision, since she understood "don't squeeze it"
headlow Posted - 10/10/2010 : 19:36:31
quote:
Originally posted by mozacchio

I agree with above, i don't think there is any problem with that. Just make sure to tell it to the parents that you are getting the corn now! Some people say "yes" to something that will happen in a few years only because there's still time to think about it.

I checked with my sister this afternoon before buying the snake. They are both fine with it, and the little guy's dad has experience looking after my snakes, and another friends Boa's.
My Godson himself helps me change water and stuff like that. He's also very good at handling all my snakes (under strict supervision of course), and knows to wash his hands before and after. He also knows to keep the tank closed.

I think it'll be a great thing for him and his dad to do together, and obviously I'll be involved as well
Mort13 Posted - 10/10/2010 : 18:23:36
I think its a lovely idea too. My son seemed to have an affinity with frogs and reptiles (especially snakes) from about 3 years old.
I never did anything about it though. He's now 8 and 7 weeks ago when he asked if he could have a snake with some money he'd saved I gave the go ahead.

Loki has done my son wonders,he's even handled the guinea pigs more (always been nervous aroung furry animals!)

You're going to have one very happy Godson!
mozacchio Posted - 10/10/2010 : 18:21:47
I agree with above, i don't think there is any problem with that. Just make sure to tell it to the parents that you are getting the corn now! Some people say "yes" to something that will happen in a few years only because there's still time to think about it.
headlow Posted - 10/10/2010 : 17:53:38
Just a little update on this.

I'm picking my Godson a CB10 normal Corn on Wednesday evening. All I have to get with the snake is a large faun and digi thermometers, as I have mats, stats and other accessories that are needed. Both his parents are happy with the situation, and I'm on hand to help.
kdlang Posted - 01/09/2010 : 18:21:47
I think it's lovely. As long as all involved adults are prepared to undertake the general care and responsibility for hygiene etc then I can't see a problem. There is also the consideration that in a few years she might not want the snake anymore. I would say to get a lock for the viv tho and keep the keys out of reach as she may decide she wants to get HER snake out one day.
herriotfan Posted - 01/09/2010 : 17:28:32
I think it's a really good idea. The younger our children learn to care and be responsible the better. With the full back up from adults, as you say, it can only be a positive move imo!
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 01/09/2010 : 17:27:02
Yes, it's called 'Handling Flakes' by Kim, on page 7 of general posts (sorry, don't know how to post links.)

The photos are brilliant.
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 01/09/2010 : 17:22:12
Yes, as long as the adults take on full responsibility and supervision, it's a great idea. There was a thread on here not so long ago, by Kim (wasn't it?) and her two year old daughter had chosen to have a snake as a pet. I will look back and find it.
Tiffany-x Posted - 01/09/2010 : 16:46:18
I dont think any age is too young to buy a child a pet as long as parents are there to help out not only is it nice for them it also teaches them responsibility and to be kind to animals, its surprising how little most kids know.
Tiffany-x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000