The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Nervous in the same room

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sammysnake Posted - 16/08/2010 : 10:26:31
Some of you may remember that Twilight used to be in my bedroom and was keeping me awake by bumping and crashing all night, so in mid June I moved him into the same room as Saracen. Twilight's viv on top so they can't see each other. It's been really interesting to see sudden changes in behaviour between the two which I thought I would share.

I've always fed them in my bedroom separately. I feed Saracen first as he is such an aggressive feeder and I don't want to give him more excuses to get over excited and attack me again! He roams around on the bed and then is put into an RUB to actually eat. Twilight is brought out after Saracen is back in his viv and has always been a very confident little snake and I've never had any trouble feeding him. However, as soon as he moved in the room with Saracen, he began refusing feeds. He refused two, the next one I brained and eventually got him eating but each feed since then has taken a lot of time, effort and superheating to get him to eventually take it. Last night for the first time he actually lunged at the mouse first time so hopefully he's over it now.

I know this could be coincidence but I was wondering if Twilight was feeling submissive or at least nervous because he is aware there is a bigger snake in the area?

The other weird thing is that Twilight shed really quickly after moving in and this was quicker than usual - no problem there as he had that tiny bit of retianed shed on his neck from before so he might have been sorting that out. The weird thing was that Saracen shed at the same time and it was way earlier than usual for him too. Were they in sync?

Also, update on skittishness at feeding time of Saracen. One night he was in his RUB on top of the bed, he'd constricted mousey and was beginnng to eat so I sat down really gently on the bed near him as I often do. Somehow it spooked him and he shot like an arrow out of the box, across the room and onto the floor. I grabbed him really quickly as he tried to shoot under the bed and just managed to get the last third of him. He was really strong trying to get under the bed with me trying to hold him back. It's a kingsize divan with just half an inch space between the bottom and the floor, really heavy and lots of castors so I knew if he got under there I could never get him out safely. He then changed tack and wedged himself under the chest of drawers. I had to keep holding his tail with on hand using the other and my shoulder to lift the chest of drawers to get him out without hurting him and then wrestle him back into the box, trying to get the lid on without catching him in it as he struggled to escape. Eventually he was locked and and I put the whole thing in the viv and turned the light off so he could settle. My husband wandered in then saying 'Everything alright?' !!!! It had happened too fast to even call for help. Back in his box he calmly ate his mouse whist I sat down and had an anxiety attack Needless to say he now eats in his RUB with the lid firmly on!!!

It's been an eventful couple of months with my two.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sammysnake Posted - 16/08/2010 : 20:57:04
quote:
Could be like me you got a male and a female and thats what caused the problems.

Ooo, good point, I hadn't thought of that. I was told by the breeder that Twilight was male but he was very young when I got him and the lady I bought Saracen from said also male - I guess that's what the rep shop told her when she got him as a baby. In fact, either one could be either sex....
elament Posted - 16/08/2010 : 14:15:29
Its funny you say that because i noticed a definate change in behaviour in Colin when Xena came along but it may have coincided (or even amplified) when he went hormonal. Since then I now have the two vivs stacked and so far have had no problems. Could be like me you got a male and a female and thats what caused the problems.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000