The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 just wondering whats the best way to defrost mice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
misspiggy18 Posted - 12/08/2010 : 15:53:47
i know there are different ways to defrost them but or some better then others i dont like the idea leaving the mouse in the open as i feel te mouse could attract flies ect how do u defrost them
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 14/08/2010 : 04:32:38
quote:
Originally posted by sullysteve

I cook mine in the oven for 2 hours on a low heat, then serve them up on a plate with boiled potatos and a leafy salad. My Rusty loves them like that.

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Yeah, and then you give them lemming meringue or strawberry mouse for dessert ...

I guess they would find the Ratty Road Ice cream too cold!

Seriously though....Amy, I've been away from the forum for a while so have totally missed out on you getting Vinnie, congratulations , I bet you cant believe you have him. Must be coming up for a just under a fortnight since you got him. Have you offered him a pinkie and if so how?

I defrost my mice in a plastic box that is purely for that purpose, usually overnight in the conservatory cos I feed my snakes in the morning. I never used to warm them before I fed but started to when my snakes went off their food during breeding season....and since they have started feeding again I have noticed that Kellog, who was always a lazy feeder, is a lot more interested and I have even had a proper strike and coil from him, which made me jump ! All I do is pop the mouse in a plastic bag and then dunk it in a cup of boiling water for a few seconds, take it out and feel it to see if it is near body heat and then return it to the water if necessary. It is best not to get the mouse itself wet, which is why I use the plastic bag.

I cant wait to catch up on everything I have missed and see the pics of Vinnie, he looks gorgeous in your sig!

xxx
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 13/08/2010 : 19:32:52
Yeah, and then you give them lemming meringue or strawberry mouse for dessert ...
sullysteve Posted - 13/08/2010 : 17:49:50
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I had defrosted pinkies in my mouth in the past.

Marry me.

quote:

I cook mine in the oven for 2 hours on a low heat, then serve them up on a plate with boiled potatos and a leafy salad. My Rusty loves them like that.

epic

you think im kidding lol
n/a Posted - 13/08/2010 : 17:34:18
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I had defrosted pinkies in my mouth in the past.

Marry me.

quote:

epic
sullysteve Posted - 13/08/2010 : 15:47:45

BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 13/08/2010 : 14:59:47
Bless him - happy birthday Vinnie,in advance!
misspiggy18 Posted - 13/08/2010 : 12:45:40
i havent tried yet BATS its his 1st birthday on sunday so ill feed him then lol x
ryanred5 Posted - 13/08/2010 : 06:42:40
I put our mice in hot water and then dry them off before my son feeds them to Tango.
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 13/08/2010 : 00:02:34
Ewwwww! I thought it was a joke!

Loads of times I've seen something nasty emerging from mouse's rear end as it defrosts ....

Miss Piggy 18, was defrost successful, did snakey eat his grub?
Kehhlyr Posted - 12/08/2010 : 23:47:18
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

quote:
Originally posted by lessthanjase

i suck them for a couple of minutes

Do they taste mice?

Funnily enough the same thing was discussed ages ago on here as I commented somewhere that I had defrosted pinkies in my mouth in the past.

/Ninja edit
here: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5205
and here: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6901
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 12/08/2010 : 23:39:02
quote:
Originally posted by lessthanjase

Do they taste mice?
n/a Posted - 12/08/2010 : 23:33:56
Paul82 Posted - 12/08/2010 : 21:23:19
when mine are defrosted and ready, i dip the mices head in hot water for a second them dry wiv a paper towle, thay both go mad for them, were before thay were just lazy lol. :)
stotty01 Posted - 12/08/2010 : 20:42:36
its better not to put them in warm water as it makes the bacteria thrive more, got told this by dads friend who had a 11ft boa haha
Azzheasman Posted - 12/08/2010 : 19:40:05
i put mine in warm water in the sink (dont tell my OH lol) and then take them from there to the feeding rub :)
misspiggy18 Posted - 12/08/2010 : 17:56:24
thanx chrissy will do though he hasnt been fed since 1st july so i spose he is hungry the bloke i brought him from sed he had been fed the day i picked him up but from the look of him that didnt happen xx so i should imagine he is starvin lol x
n/a Posted - 12/08/2010 : 17:43:55
misspiggy18, depends on what the snake is like really. Some will take it just at room temp, others will not touch it unless it is warmer than that. Just try both ways with your snakey and see which way he prefers

edit - spelling.
misspiggy18 Posted - 12/08/2010 : 17:36:16
so is it important to warm them up then will that make it more appertising to the snake
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 12/08/2010 : 16:37:03
I put mine in a cricket box on top of an aquarium light fitting, then give them a last warm on one of the heat mats. Yes, in this weather you can't leave them uncovered; the flies will come. And in a closed box they don't go all dry and unappetising. Nice mice!
HannahB Posted - 12/08/2010 : 16:34:52
mine get put in a sandwich bag and left on top of their housing, then i blast em with the hairdryer to warm em up

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000