The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Regarding first vivarium....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 11/08/2010 : 12:09:24
Hey all, my corn hatch is growing at a fast rate and i reckon it will soon be time for his first viv.

What kind of size is best to get that will last for a long time but wont be too big for him?

Any links to products would be great, im on a bit of a tight budget so quite cheap but ofc good quality. Ive seen 36" or 48" on ebay for decent prices, but im not sure if that would be OK or not.

Thanks for any replies :)
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 11/08/2010 : 13:29:18
36 x 18 or a 48 x 15 is what people normally I get I think. Could could just buy a RUB in the size you think could be better if you feel a viv would be too big for him and you can't section it off or just buy a RUB for him when he's an adult. You could also then use the RUB for him if you do decide to then move him into a viv when he's older for possible vet trips, any baths that might be needed, quarantine incase of mites or a feeding RUB :)
hillzi Posted - 11/08/2010 : 13:22:57
I'd quite happily house anything upto a yearling to an 18th month old in a faun, as Chrissy said, its got some size to it, at least 2ft long. If it quite small when you put him in there, make sure you pack it out with plants, branches, caves, hidey holes etc so he has places to go and he wont get scared and thus stressed, which could lead to him going of his nomnom's.

Also if they are small, worth getting a good viv lock and securing the gap in the glass doors.
n/a Posted - 11/08/2010 : 13:09:26
yeh you're right, sorry, my brain is in adult corn mode, my apologise.

once they are longer than the faun, tis best to move them up a size you are right, so just go up a size or you can opt for buying the 3ft viv now and partition if off.
Another option is buying a RUB (really useful box)like the fauns, just come in alot more differnet sizes, you can buy them from staples and such like or straight from here - http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/fullrange_rub.php
(length is more important than height with these)
n/a Posted - 11/08/2010 : 12:39:51
So he is ok in a faunarium until then? I thought once he was the length + width of the faun, he had to be moved, which im guessing will be in a month or so.
n/a Posted - 11/08/2010 : 12:15:01
Hiya

both the 36" and 48" are fine choices, my adult corn is in a 36" and does perfectly well, she has alot of handling outside the viv aswell etc.
a 48" might be better suited if your chap/chapess likes to do alot of exploring, but personal choice on which one really

i don't have any links at the moment, and i'm just about to shoot off out, but i will have a look for you when i get back

quick edit - just to make sure, personally i would not move your corn into the bigger viv until it is atleat 2 - 2.5ft long :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000