The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 worried about heat mat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DonnaMarch Posted - 10/08/2010 : 22:21:44
I have been using the bulb for my wooden viv during the day and the heat mat at night but i would prefer to use the heat mat (on/off stat) all the time as the bulb makes the viv too hot on the cold side. I have the hide in the middle at the mo but i would ideally like to put two hides on either side and use just the heat mat on the hot end as the cold temp goes down far more without using the light. today the cold side was 28 degrees! But i have been really worried since i have read about the microclimate mat and spoke to someone from the company who said if i put a hide over a heat mat it would act as an insulator and cause the mat to overheat! Really worried! I have a thermostat and a digi thermometer to regulate the heat. Does anyone have a hide over their heat mat?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillzi Posted - 11/08/2010 : 13:46:47
The mat wouldn't overheat if the stat probe was under the hide which would be ontop of the mat

All of mine has hides over their mats, for example, Blaze's on an 11x10, and his cave doesn't fully cover the whole mat, so I cabled tied the stat probes over a section of heatmat which did not have the hide over it.
gingerpony Posted - 11/08/2010 : 08:46:49
quote:
Originally posted by DonnaMarch

...if i put a hide over a heat mat it would act as an insulator and cause the mat to overheat!.....Does anyone have a hide over their heat mat?

yes ALL of mine are!

personally i'd ditch the bulb, if you want light to view your snake use an energy-saving bulb or a coloured pygmy bulb that will emit minimal heat

and just use the mat, with either the thermometer probe inside the hide or the thermometer AND thermostat probes inside

stupid Microclimate people!!
gingerpony Posted - 11/08/2010 : 08:40:34
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

must admit though i am surpised that the bulb is producing soo much heat if it is statted

because of the way ceramics/bulbs/rep rads/AHS heat the air they raise the ambient temp in the viv and thus the temp in the cool end.
this is particularly useful for species that require a warmer 'cool end' such as my Dumerils that require only a 5*C difference between warm and cool parts of their enclosures
Paul82 Posted - 11/08/2010 : 00:33:39
Hi to be honist u dont realy need the bulb at all, corns get all the heat from there bellies, so the bulb dosent do much, and as u have said already the cool end gets to hot,

but it is up to personal preference as some people say its lights up the viv and looks good, but im sure theres bulbs that dont preduce so much heat but still bright. :)
gmac Posted - 10/08/2010 : 22:28:30
yes i have a hide over my mat with no problems whatoever, alo use a microclimate mat stat. Your cool end is way to hot, that temp is ideal for the warm end temps.

must admit though i am surpised that the bulb is producing soo much heat if it is statted

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000