The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake always scared?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 09/08/2010 : 09:38:44
Hi people!

Just a quick one...... When Sabre is out and about in her viv she seems to get very scared when she sees me. This results in her going into a hide or up her tree! Is this normal behaviour? I like watching her explore but it seems every time I try to she dives into hiding!!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
josh9961 Posted - 10/08/2010 : 01:03:06
My older snake still jumps if I appear suddenly, even though he's a couple of years old but my little hatchie is fearless cos she lives in the middle of my room so shes used to noise and people. It's all about the individual snakes.
CSJ Posted - 09/08/2010 : 20:25:30
I might be wrong but... All of my vivs are in a position where me, the other half and the kids pass by regularly. I would have thought this would help make them less likely to hide away every time they see some movement.

If your snakies house is in a quiet, out of the way spot maybe he's unused to disturbances?

Of course she could just be shy. My little Amel took a while to stop jumping every time he was touched - even during handling
n/a Posted - 09/08/2010 : 18:22:41
Thanks for the replies everyone! She's fine when I hold her but is just a little shy when I go near her viv.....maybe she is just shy....I just wanted to check though. Thanks!
josh9961 Posted - 09/08/2010 : 13:55:16
It took my first hatchie six months to settle down, I like to think that she's less scared because shes tripled in size :)
elament Posted - 09/08/2010 : 11:29:02
They are all individuals some are shy some are not so. This is a conclusion I have come too personally from watching my two interact with me. One (the bigger one) is shy will come out and have a nosey but if you get too near the viv or open the door he will retrack backwards into a hide. The other one which by comparison is the smaller is the total opposite. If you open the door she is out and investigating what you are doing and even comes up to my hand she is really bolsi. Could be you got a shy one.
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 09/08/2010 : 10:38:45
I've found they can have phases like this - then they suddenly switch to being friendly - then back to shy wild snake again. I've known a snake want to come out and roam round my lap one day and then the next day catch sight of me and back away as if she'd never seen me before. It's so tantalising when you want to watch them, but I'm sure Sabre will calm down eventually and stop running away from you. Perhaps you could try giving her more hides - even just a few cardboard inners from loo rolls and kitchen rolls - they like to explore these and it gives them more cover to roam in. Good luck.
herriotfan Posted - 09/08/2010 : 09:57:49
Some snakes are more shy and reserved than others. Take it slow and steady and she will get used to you. It may take some time..... until then try watching from a distance and gradually get closer.
FiestaSTLou Posted - 09/08/2010 : 09:52:42
hi there :)

do u move quite suddenly?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000