The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Can corn snakes be able to out of your house?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 06/08/2010 : 12:55:39
I live in glasgow. It's turn autumn so would I be ale to take him or her when I get the snake? Like only on nice warm days?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillzi Posted - 07/08/2010 : 13:51:27
If its very warm outside, like we had the heatwave recently, then yes.. As long as its not for long and on clean grass that a cat/dog/whatever.. hasn't weed/defecated on.

Only should be out for 10 minutes, I think many people do it just to get photo's of their snakes in natural light, as you need to watch for parasites or any nasties your snakes could pick up.

I don't tend to do take my snakes into the garden.

BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 07/08/2010 : 10:55:45
Yes, I don't sit in blazing sunlight with them, I give them a chance of shade - my garden doesn't get a huge amount of sun anyway (Coronation Street type yard LOL)
Sta~ple Posted - 07/08/2010 : 08:01:10
I let my snakes sometimes roam the garden on a warm day, sometimes to ever cool them a bit down when the temp inside the house is stupidly hot. But I make sure the snake is big enough an I am never a foot away so I can grab it. I also make sure no cats come in the garden and that they don't slither over bird poo. Other than that I do drape them around my neck and handle them outside.

A better option might be to get a tub/rub with air holes, pop some hides in that and take them outside in it, leave a bit in a sunny area and the rest put like a book or something to make he other half shadowy. Of course remembering to monitor temperature. Although I don't think they benefit/appreciate being out in the sun as much as we do since they are active at night, bright, big open area some may not like.
Kehhlyr Posted - 07/08/2010 : 03:29:29
quote:
Originally posted by Zincubus

If you let a snake rpend give minutes on a lawn and it STE a garden worm would the snake be alright ??

I'm assuming you were saying: "if you let a snake spend five minutes on a lawn and it ATE a garden worm would the snake be alright ??

If so then it's highly unlikely that a snake would eat a garden worm.
For several reasons.
The biggest being that they wouldn't really see a garden worm as a prey item.
Also for a garden worm to be on top of somewhere that a snake could get it easily would mean a fairly recent rain or a wet garden of some kind (sprinkler??)
Then the snake would have to be practically ignored by the so called owner when it approached the worm.
Anyone that keeps snakes that has a fraction of sense (which on this forum there is very few people with that MUCH) will stop it before it does.

In short, the garden would have to be wet and cold (not good for the snake) and not really monitored (idiotic owner).

So for a cornsnake to eat a garden worm then I would question the sensibility of the keeper for the ability of being able to keep a cornsnake.

However, this is only judging by a cornsnake, some other snakes CAN and will eat worms happily, but very few.
Zincubus Posted - 07/08/2010 : 03:07:43
If you let a snake rpend give minutes on a lawn and it STE a garden worm would the snake be alright ??
Stacii Posted - 07/08/2010 : 00:25:23
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

quote:
Originally posted by Robinfeather

I live in glasgow. It's turn autumn so would I be ale to take him or her when I get the snake? Like only on nice warm days?

Your in Glasgow, dont think we ever get nice sunny days in summer let alone autumn.
why do you want to take the snake outdoors, i dont see the need.

Ditto this, i have taken mine out in the past for a few mins i meant end of the day they had to go outside without heat when i got them

i dont make a habit of it though (im also in glasgow0 as im scred they will either freeze or burn as its always one extreme to the other up here
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 06/08/2010 : 21:43:42
Also didn't mean uv light as in lizard bulbs - just meant sunlight!
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 06/08/2010 : 21:28:53
Oh dear, in the last paragraph, I meant to put, 'run SCREAMING' - sorry! (Good joke thought, if inadvertent.)
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 06/08/2010 : 21:26:38
On warm days I sit on my back doorstep with a snake (if it has asked to come out.) On winter evenings I sit by the fire with a snake (if it has asked etc...) They like to have a bit of a walk round and stretch their legs ... for a short while, carefully watched. Why not? (They usually climb inside my sleeve, explore a flowerpot and take a dump ...)

The one thing to watch out for is, don't let them explore anywhere they can encounter garden chemicals, like slug pellets, or any handy crevices - they will certainly want to investigate these!

Isn't uv light said to be good for them? Oh, and one other thing, tactfully make sure that none of your neighbours are phobic - you don't want them running creaming at the sight of snakey sunning itself.
gingerpony Posted - 06/08/2010 : 16:41:09
is this whsat the OP means?

i'm confused!
herriotfan Posted - 06/08/2010 : 16:01:29
Is there a specific reason why you want to take your snake outside?
They're not really the sort of pet you can drape around your neck and go off for the day.
Don't forget their need for correct temperatures which can't be regulated outside as well as in their faunarium/vivarium.
HannahB Posted - 06/08/2010 : 15:36:44
its not really advisable..if you want a pet to take out and have people fuss over then get a pooch or a ferret or something but snakes dont really need to go outside like that although when bigger you can let them go on some nice clean grass for a little while - but only with supervision as you dont want them to escape from your garden!
gmac Posted - 06/08/2010 : 14:03:27
quote:
Originally posted by Robinfeather

Your in Glasgow, dont think we ever get nice sunny days in summer let alone autumn.
why do you want to take the snake outdoors, i dont see the need.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000