The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 confusion with heat mats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
princessbroxy Posted - 04/08/2010 : 00:29:27
Hi guys my heat mats are all over the place the temps on them just go up and down whenever they feel like it why is this I'm still waiting on my stats coming so just monitoring them with a thermometer just now the hottest they go is up to 31c or 32c then they suddenly plummet to 26c or 27c please help as I'm up and down every 10 min to check them and i don't like disturbing the babies all the time as it cant be good for them
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kehhlyr Posted - 06/08/2010 : 04:45:09
Sat where they are would be the best place for them with that setup, however the possibilities for having other problems are huge.
I'd do away altogether with the cardboard and especially the tape. If a bit of the tape becomes unstuck then you could have severe issues if a snake gets stuck to it.

If you want to make sure there's no way that your snakes can come into contact with the mat then go to a local carpet fitters and ask for an offcut or 2 of carpet of vinyl to put across the entire bottom of the viv.
As it stands, if the mat is stat'd properly then you would have no risk of the snakes getting burned, the only way a snake could possibly get burned on a correctly stat'd mat is if they were a very big bodied snake on a large mat.

What substrate do you use?
You could just stick an ornament on top of the probes holding them down in the righ position, or a hide of some kind.
ryanred5 Posted - 06/08/2010 : 04:17:38
Can I just ask a question here whilst your talking about probes on heat mats.

Tangos heat mat is inside his wooden viv but I've taped cardboard over it so that he can't get burnt on the mat (I've got PP stat attached to the mat). My question is the stat probe and therm probe okay sat on top of the cardboard getting the right temperature or would the probes be better sat on the mat underneath the cardboard. What do you think?

Thanks. :)
princessbroxy Posted - 04/08/2010 : 15:30:33
Aww ok that's a bit clearer now thank-you Matty
matty18714 Posted - 04/08/2010 : 15:11:09
If using anything else but a wooden viv, I tape the stat probe directly to the heat mat on the outside, and put the thermometer probe inside ontop of the mat.
princessbroxy Posted - 04/08/2010 : 14:55:38
i forgot to say my viv is glass so i take it you mean put it directly on to the mat but in the viv on top of the mat?? i know that question sounds silly but i want to get it right.
princessbroxy Posted - 04/08/2010 : 10:53:17
No i keep moving them about but i have turned them off just now till my stats get here i put the heating on so the temps in the viv and rubs are 25.6 in the viv and 27.9 in the rubs...i have seen on here that people put there hide on top of them so that's what i will do.
matty18714 Posted - 04/08/2010 : 10:33:59
Are you measuring the temperature of the heat mat at exactly the same place? A heat mat wont be the same temp all over.

And I agree with GMac for the probes. Make sure they are in direct contact with the mat and cannot be moved.
princessbroxy Posted - 04/08/2010 : 09:34:05
lol yes i meant the probes....thanks for your help
gmac Posted - 04/08/2010 : 09:26:40
I shall assume you mean the probes and not the stat itself, the best place is on the mat with the temp probe at the same place,
princessbroxy Posted - 04/08/2010 : 08:24:42
What's the best location in the viv for the stats? I've seen them set right on top of the mat, in the mid point in the viv and on top of the substrate above the mat. Probably different views here but what's your thoughts??
princessbroxy Posted - 04/08/2010 : 00:39:52
forgot to say i fed the babies 2 days ago but medusa got fed last week cos didn't want to feed her whilst in shed
gmac Posted - 04/08/2010 : 00:39:23
if its going to be here Wednesday yes she will be fine for tonight,
princessbroxy Posted - 04/08/2010 : 00:38:13
The stats should be here any day now hopefully tomorrow i have one in shed is it ok to turn hers off?
gmac Posted - 04/08/2010 : 00:34:15
the mats wont settle so get used to getting up and down every 10 minutes to check the temps, truth be told im surprised the mat temps are dropping unstatted.

when are your stats due , if within a few days i suggest you turn the mats off, so long as you havent just fed them, as you cant watch the temps 24 hours a day and you wont know what temps they are during the night.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000