The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 advice on rescued corn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FiestaSTLou Posted - 03/08/2010 : 11:56:44
Me and my partner rescued a amel albino cornsnake on sunday, It is a beautiful snake but the surroundings it was left in was not pleasant!

We dont have much backround on the previous owner, he just gave the snake to a friend of ours that already has a corn but cannot accomadate it and was then given to us as we already have a royal python and the space and time to look after it.

Our friend did as much as she could in the week before we picked it up, fed it and changed its water.. aparently when she got him he had no water or water bow!!, so she used the old small one that her corn had outgrown and apparently it just kept drinking and drinking the poor thing!

When we bought it home sunday night we let it settle for the night before attempting to clean and feed it, as i had asked my friend not to feed the snake before we bougth it home incase the journey home made it regurge the food.

Yesterday we cleaned out its home, when trying to get it out it was VERY timid and defensive, and went to strike for my fellas hand, i assume the old owner did not handle it at all! in the end we put in a small box which we used to put my royal in when it was a baby and it slowely crawled into the box so we cud put the lid on whilst we cleaned out its home..... it was disgusting!! Pieces of old shed skin! feaces! and it stank! after we emptied the old chippings into the bin it left a thick rim of dirt all round and at the bottom of the box! after a hour scrubbing, alot of reptile disinfectant and some nice clean news paper and aspen it was looking lots better!

my fella gave it a small mouse, at first it wouldnt come out its hide to take it so left it on the side of a rock in its tank, ten mins later it still hadnt clocked it was there so my fella removed its bark hide and it strike fed from his straight away no probs

We are worried tho about its size and temperment, I have been reading up best i can but i think its very small for its age, its 1 1/2 years old and the thickest part of its body is prob only the width of my thumb, i am not 100% on corns tho so this could be normal, if anyone could advise me on this it would be much appreciated, i will attach a pictire of syd below. Its temper tho is a big worry, its very timid and gittery, wont let my fella go near it as it will just go for him, we have said once its feed has settled we are going to try get it out for 5 minutes everyday even if it bites just to get it used to being handled, is this ok? and is there anything else we can do to get it settled?

any advice to help this little snakey and us give it a great life much appreciated

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 16/08/2010 : 17:38:42
Might see you there then :)
FiestaSTLou Posted - 16/08/2010 : 14:28:29
yes the addiction has started!

bring on donny, looking for a anery next hehe! ;)
elament Posted - 16/08/2010 : 14:03:54
Yep agreed. If you can get an animal out of a cack situation then do it i say
BurnedAtTheStake Posted - 16/08/2010 : 13:57:16
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

And so the addiction starts lol

Yup, you're hooked now! Belated congrats for rescuing him by the way - it's a heartwarming story and he's obviously really enjoying his new home.
kdlang Posted - 16/08/2010 : 10:57:38
And so the addiction starts lol
FiestaSTLou Posted - 16/08/2010 : 09:54:01
he is absolutly gorgeous! :D and we are so happy we have him, hes settled right in now and its like hes been with us forever, got him out again yesterday and he just climbed straight out and wanted to be handled! :) he even let a few of our friends hold him! lol hes always being nosy now! whenever we are in the room he pops his head out to say hi and comes up to the plastic to see us lol definently more active than he was!:D

I have got the corn bug now hehe came home yday from kempton with a baby female snow corn hehe :D
Kellog Posted - 14/08/2010 : 05:10:44
Have been away from the forum for a while so have only just caught up with this topic. Can only repeat what others have said in saying how blessed that snake is that it was rescued by your friend who then handed to on to you....and you are definitely showing how much you care by simply finding us and not only asking all the right questions but following the advice given !! As for the man who had Syd, I hope one day he gets what he deserves !!

Considering the state Syd was in and how it first reacted to you (which isnt surprising), it is wonderful to hear that it is eating, has had a full clean shed (which I bet shocked you !) and is even settling down well to being handled. It sounds as though you have a gem of a snake there, although with regards to its handling it is most probably down to you being confident and calm so it didnt feel threatened and soon began behaving like a normal corn .

With regard to its feeding, I would back the advise that has been given....you need to keep Syd on the size of food it is used to for a while until it is feeding well, and then you can decide whether it is necessary to multiple feed or move up a size....but for now just leave things as they are.

KdLang is right in what she says about Syd hiding away, I wouldnt see my adult corns at all if I didnt get them out to handle them , although the younger one is sometimes out at night when I am up. All corns differ with their behaviour but it is natural for Syd to be hiding away, especially at the moment, and it will be sneaking out and exploring its new home at night while you are fast asleep!

I am so glad you have got the digital thermometers and are getting the stat, the sooner the better....it really is a vital piece of equipment.

Once again, well done for saving Syd....although I think you have done pretty well out of it cos you have gained an absolutely gorgeous corn !

xxx
kdlang Posted - 12/08/2010 : 13:18:28
So glad your handling session went well. It sounds like he is going to be a fantastic aquisition.
FiestaSTLou Posted - 12/08/2010 : 10:19:26
got him out last night and he was a star! he was very very scared when we first got him out but as soon as he was in our hands he was fine, didnt try to bite once and was acting like a normal nosy corn :) very pleased with him :)
FiestaSTLou Posted - 09/08/2010 : 09:50:25
Thank u, the advice on here has been unvaluable! if i knew where he lives id do it myself ;) haha

Just a update, was out all day yesterday and came home to find a nice clean shed, all in one bit :D my other half strike fed her last night to and took it no problems :D

We still have not attempted to get her out again, we wanted to let her settle in abit as per the advice and we are going to wait til wednesday now to let her feed settle then try again :)

Thank u again everyone :)
reggie_69 Posted - 06/08/2010 : 12:44:07
hey well done for rescueing him and i think i say on behalf of the entire forum! that you tell us where abouts you live and we will man hunt the previous owner down!! and stick him in a space with no water or flushing toilet!!!
but anyway!! hope everything goes ok! people that have already commented are awesome and have given you the best advice so i cant add anymore!
hope everything goes ok and keep us all updated!
kdlang Posted - 05/08/2010 : 23:12:15
My 2 older corns I hardly see at all. They hide most of the time but I can see by the tracks left in the substrate that they have been out and about when I am not around. The 2 younger ones tend to come out quite a bit. All corns differ and some are more active than others. It's quite possible that it has just been hiding while it has been digestin its din dins tho. PLus it is still settling in so will hide.
FiestaSTLou Posted - 05/08/2010 : 11:51:30
so we have followed your advise and laid one of our socks over the top so it gets used to our smells, since feeding tho on monday evening it has stayed in its hide and only popped out its head everynow and again, is this normal? or is it just digesting its food? just worried as iv always assumed corns where quite active, anyone would think our pythons the corn atm, shes been hanging off trees going wild for the last few days haha!
Mouse Posted - 04/08/2010 : 13:42:07
Gorgeous snake! I'm glad you've got him. I can't fathom why people buy pets then neglect them like that

I'm sure it'll settle in, and once it connects both your smells to feeding time and clean viv in a safe environment, he'll calm down!
FiestaSTLou Posted - 03/08/2010 : 21:47:12
i think if i put one of mine or my fellas socks in it may be knocked out! :O haha! its a great bit of advice tho and i will do that tonight :)

Length wise i would say no longer than 2foot, again cant be 100% sure tho until i can get him out n have a proper look.
Its spend most of the day in his hide, popping his head out every now and again lol
sta~ple you could be right, our little (big) python cecils only a year and HUGE lol shes a little fatty haha and already reaching 3 foot! lol so compared to him syd is very tiny bless him lol

I found out earlier about the kempton show next week so iv booked up a travel lodge and shall be heading there for the weekend and hopefully get to learn alot more :)

Thanks everyone for all your help, its given us alot of help and reasurance that syd will be ok :) its been very much appreciated :) Ill keep u updated on how he gets on over the next few days.
herriotfan Posted - 03/08/2010 : 21:37:40
So pleased you rescued him, good for you.
One little tip for helping to settle him and help get him used to your smell...put an old sock or some piece of cloth inside your top for a day, so it has your smell on it, then pop it in one of his hides. Your smell will then be in the place he feels secure so he will get used to it and hopefully it will help him get used to you a bit quicker. I did this when I first got my Sidney and now when he wants to hide away he always chooses the hide with the old sock in and lays on it!!
eeji Posted - 03/08/2010 : 19:24:10
nice one for the rescue :)

He does look a bit underweight, but not drastically skinny so you'll soon have him back to full health :)
Sta~ple Posted - 03/08/2010 : 17:09:36
He's gorgeous! He doesn't look underweight to be but I am only looking at a photo, he might look skinny to you if you have a royal :) How long is s/he?
kdlang Posted - 03/08/2010 : 16:58:26
Well done on taking him on. He is a gorgeous snake. Don't worry about all the questions. Your on a bit of a learning curve but you already have the basics with keeping Royals. Questions just mean that you want to do your best for him and we like that lol.
I'm sure he will come on in leaps and bounds now that he is with people who genuinely care about him. Grrrrr the person who had him before.
FiestaSTLou Posted - 03/08/2010 : 14:16:11
lol dont worry mine never used to but the thermostat we use on our royal is in fahranheit so iv slowly grown used to it lol thanks to advising me! shall be sorting that all our shortly :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000