The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Morph question?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
glynjones Posted - 01/08/2010 : 21:14:25
I have been reading up on my morphs on Iansvivarium.
If an Amel totaly lacks black pigment and a Hypo has greatly reduced black pigment, my question is an earlier post described a snake as a Hypo Amel, how can you have a snake with no black and reduced black both at the same time.
Is this not the snake equalivant of a bald man with a receding hair line!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackecho Posted - 03/08/2010 : 07:13:19
Heterozygous just means different. As genes come in pairs on a locus, if those genes are different they are heterozygous, if they are the same, they are homozygous.

Whether it is visible or not depends on the gene type (recessive, co-dominant or dominant). Most Corn genes are recessive to 'normal' and as such you need a pair of those genes (homozygous) for it to be visual.
gmac Posted - 03/08/2010 : 00:42:06
normal het amel and lavender unless there are matching hets with your corns
glynjones Posted - 03/08/2010 : 00:39:34
Thanks for your help and kind words.
Morphs are really confusing at first.
I have just been given the go ahead to later in the year , when marge gets her new viv to get another corn.. yipeee.

I really fancy a Lavender, when they both are big and old enough what would the out come from Amel and Lavender be?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 02/08/2010 : 23:46:56
Het or Hetrozygous is a gene which the snake carries but isn't necesarilly visible. For instance You could have an Amel het Anery. If you were to then breed this to an Anery you could get visual Anery babies. If the Anery was het Amel you could also get Amels and Snows(a combination of Amel and Anery).

Does that help? Im not great at explaining things like this.

Edit: Although no question is deemed silly as it is always best to know rather than wonder, i would say that was far from a silly question. Genetics can be a tough thing to get your head around at first, but im sure you will get the hang of it.
glynjones Posted - 02/08/2010 : 22:50:13
Cheers

I new there had to be a reason.
While we are on the subject what is a HET?

Sorry for asking silly questions again!!
eeji Posted - 02/08/2010 : 18:15:31
this

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

From reading on iansvivarium it apparently reduces the amount of white which the amel shows, but regardless of wether the Hypo gene has an affect or not, it is still carried as a Homozygous gene and is there for different to a normal Amel.

(although it doesn't always reduce the white)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 02/08/2010 : 13:36:37
From reading on iansvivarium it apparently reduces the amount of white which the amel shows, but regardless of wether the Hypo gene has an affect or not, it is still carried as a Homozygous gene and is there for different to a normal Amel.
Mouse Posted - 02/08/2010 : 08:31:15
I'm guessing that both the parents would have carried the Hypo gene, so regardless of whether it shows obviously, it would still be a hypo.

I would assume that it would show in the ventrals, as you can tell a hypo by the ventrals. (this is my limited knowledge though!)

Or was this a rhetorical question?!!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000