The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 mat covering please help!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DonnaMarch Posted - 26/07/2010 : 12:08:45
I've just been informed duck tape is not a good idea for covering a heat mat. Any tips on what i can use?
Also what can i use to stick down the thermostat probe and where do i place my digi thermometer?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 26/07/2010 : 17:22:47
I am with KD on this banded together and pinned down with the edge of a hide in direct contact with the mat no lino
kdlang Posted - 26/07/2010 : 16:31:13
I just use a heavy hide. stat probe and thermometer probe elastic banded together then weighed down with a hide. iv got a few small stones that I might put it Peanut and Carmellias fauns tho as they are beggars for moving the probes a bit.
Sta~ple Posted - 26/07/2010 : 14:27:35
You can also silicon the plain edges of the mat to the viv, where it's just laminate and no black.

I weight my heatmat down with a hide and the probes with a suction pad that came with the thermometer, a rubber band and stones. On top of the heatmat I also have a thin bit of substrate.

It's kinda misleading the heatmat instruction on fixing it down, it says you can use industrial strength sticky tape but to check regularly for any peeling off but that's a bit naughty really.
matty18714 Posted - 26/07/2010 : 13:44:24
Vinyl floor/lino works really well as Hannah said.

I use it, waterproof the edges and stick it down with aquarium selant and then use the selant to stick the probes to the lino. This insures that the probes are always in contact with the heat source.
HannahB Posted - 26/07/2010 : 13:38:12
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

It seems you are concerned about your snake getting burnt by the heatmat? If so as far as Im aware this cant happen and some snakes even get underneath their substrate so that they can lay directly on it. Hope this makes sense and helps :)
Tiffany-x

they can get burnt if its unstatted
if its held down by tape theres also a chance that the tape could come unstuck and the snake could get caught on it - several people on here have lost snakes due to unfortunate accidents, its not pretty and is stressful on both the snake and the owner
Tiffany-x Posted - 26/07/2010 : 13:29:59
It seems you are concerned about your snake getting burnt by the heatmat? If so as far as Im aware this cant happen and some snakes even get underneath their substrate so that they can lay directly on it. Hope this makes sense and helps :)
Tiffany-x
HannahB Posted - 26/07/2010 : 13:07:52
oh yeah any substrate can cover it - not very much though just a light scattering (less than 1cm)
DonnaMarch Posted - 26/07/2010 : 12:59:22
I've been advised aspen can cover it too. is that ok?
HannahB Posted - 26/07/2010 : 12:33:45
you can use a piece of vinyl floor covering over it to hold it down, personally in my royals vivs my mats just have newspaper over them, the stat probe and thermometer probe can be secured together with an elastic band - some people then hold them down with a hide or large clean rocks from a garden centre,hope this helps

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000