The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 very vicious female

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tony81 Posted - 24/07/2010 : 19:51:56
Hi everyone. I have a new female corn i also have a male miami 2feet long and a year old. My female is a rite pain she refuses to be handled ive had her 2 months and she has always been the same..as soon as i open viv she will hiss strike at me the viv or anything ??? Why is she like this ive dun everything the same as the male and he is very layed back . Any help on this peeps ??? Thanks for reading
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 25/07/2010 : 11:57:43
Funny this is... Years ago I wanted a corn and the shop i went too had one, tiny little thing, looking back I think it was a hatchie amel. I was about to put my hand in my pocket to get out my wallet when the shop assistant said you do realise this one is quite fiesty and you will probably get bitten a few times. What he left out was how little it hurts and as a result the wallet stayed in pocket and he lost a substantial sale. Many years later my little boy announced he wanted a snake and I immediately thought of that convo and opted for an older "more accustomed to handling" yearling (Colin) in fear of my fingers.
The funny bit is some time later I inherited Xena who although being seven months old was the size of a hatchie due to non eating. Xena was fine but the funny thing is just last night I got her out and she obviously wasnt happy about it as for the first time she tagged me. All I felt was a bump LOL and it made me chuckle. I carried on and got her out and she was absolutely fine I think she was just in a grumpy mood. The moral of the story is dont let your snake get the better of you just because you are scared of getting bitten. Its nothing at all. Xena is nearly two foot long and had I not felt the bump and seen her do it I wouldnt have even known I'd been tagged. If it rattles or hisses just stick your hand in and slowly and confidently (if you dont feel confident the snake will know so if you dont fake it trust me it wont hurt) pick him or her up and just ignor the protests. Eventually the snake will learn its a waste of time warning you as you dont listen and it will calm down.
Now looking back I'd love to take on a fiesty one and tame it and when I do eventually convince the other half to let me have the anery i want i will be looking for one with a bit of personality lol

hope that helps and by the way ditch the gloves seriously you wont need them getting tagged by little snakes is nothing but funny. You gotta love them for having the gonads to take on something that essentially is many many times bigger than they are.

Cheers

Steve

Ps am I a proper snake keeper now even though Xena didnt break the skin?
Sta~ple Posted - 25/07/2010 : 10:28:02
As people have said, you really do just need to handle her, it really does calm them down. Snakes really do differ, I have one that usd to follow me around his RUB and try and strike me and another that is a cool cucumber.

I'd just say be prepared to be bitten because they move very fast and if your not used to it you could easily hurt the snake by pulling, it's really the shock of being bitten that gets you. I'd also handle her over a bed or something soft as she might wiggle a lot and is she does bite and you drop her, she's not going to get hurt.
hillzi Posted - 24/07/2010 : 21:42:50
In all honesty mate, no offence meant, but the best thing to do is just man up and get her out , she's a little tiddler, IO had to tame down a 4foot angry quick, strong corn snake, I'd prefer to tame down a little worm!

I beleive gloves will make you not get a good grip and she's a small snake she could slip out of your grip, just approach her firmly, if she bites, take it, think of it like a child whining and moaning till they dont get their own way, just dont give in and back away.

Best way to do it is get her out, dont pull your hand away if she does nip, as this could damage her jaw, and keep handling her till she calms down stops with the biting and hissing, so she learns your'e not a threat.

Keep the handling periods slow and steady at the start, 5 times a day except after feeding, then build it up to aslong as she'll allow.

Soon she'll be puppy tame, good luck buddy
DannyBrown91 Posted - 24/07/2010 : 21:41:42
quote:
Originally posted by princessbroxy

pmsl put gloves on if your scared

I would try to avoid using gloves. They are not needed anyway. A most probably won't even break the skin. I've been tagged a few times by my little ones and if it weren't for seeing the strike i wouldn't even realise.
princessbroxy Posted - 24/07/2010 : 21:05:42
pmsl put gloves on if your scared
matty18714 Posted - 24/07/2010 : 20:56:25
Yes, just pick her up. Move slowly and avoid moving above her. If she does bite you it really wont hurt.
tony81 Posted - 24/07/2010 : 20:35:23
So you think just get her out and let her bite and stike away !?
matty18714 Posted - 24/07/2010 : 20:31:52
Its a tiny snake and your a big thing that moves quickly to her. She see's you as a threat and thats fair enough!

Keep handling her and she will soon grow out of it. As for why your male isnt like this, all snakes are differant.
tony81 Posted - 24/07/2010 : 20:27:49
Sorry my fault she is only 4 months old and in a starter kit she is 13 inch long feeds fine sheds and poos fine . Got my male at the same age and shop i stuck to all the same rules as i did with him... but she is a little savage
DannyBrown91 Posted - 24/07/2010 : 20:12:21
How big is the snake and how big is the viv you are keeping her in? How long have you had her for?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000