The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Shedding,, AGAIN?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AngelX Posted - 15/07/2010 : 16:38:43
Hi everyone, my female snake shed around 3 weeks ago, and Thursday last week I noticed that she was in shedding mode, and sure enough, after about 2 days, she went in blue then cleared up again a couple of days ago. I have been told by her previous owner that she used to shed around every 6 weeks- not 2!!
I am going away for the weekend so should I wait until I get back and see if she has shed, I miss holding her and she is on a diet so she needs to be out!!
Also, what are the reasons of shedding in this short amount of time? Because the previous owner definitely said every 6 weeks
Thanks in advance!!
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AngelX Posted - 23/07/2010 : 10:51:11
Thanks Kellog, very happy with her progress but never would of done so well without everyone's help with the tips on exercise and stuff!
Thanks x
Kellog Posted - 22/07/2010 : 05:40:02
quote:
Originally posted by AngelX

........She shed late Thursday night, and her tyres weren't as severe, and yes, her scales were damaged around the tyres, all folded, but now getting better. I have checked her over for mites and she doesn't have any........

Am so glad she shed ok Angel and it is interesting that her scales were damaged, maybe due to her being overweight as Sta~ple said....so the shed does seem to be connected to the diet and her loosing weight.

It is really good news that there is no sign of mites....have dealt with those and never want to do that again!

Sounds like you are doing really well with her....which isnt surprising .

xxx
AngelX Posted - 18/07/2010 : 17:36:45
Hi everyone, Thanks for all the replies. She shed late Thursday night, and her tyres weren't as severe, and yes, her scales were damaged around the tyres, all folded, but now getting better. I have checked her over for mites and she doesn't have any, or she doesn't show any traces of it. I can only hope that it is due to her diet as she has lost a bit of weight since her diet. Thanks!
Sta~ple Posted - 16/07/2010 : 15:13:14
I have a snake that is shedding more, he's a fat git and he's on a diet as well and since the diet, he' been shedding every month which is more often than he used to which was 6-8 times a year but certainly not as fast as yours.

I am only guessing the reason for this is because when corns are too fat, they get tyres or a banding effect and this, damages the scales. Can you by chance see any scales that are folded/creased? Is there a band of scales like this? As the snake looses weight and some of the tyres, the scales will heal or try go back to their flat shape.

I would check as mike said for mites though.
hillzi Posted - 16/07/2010 : 13:51:13
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

The main reasons a snake sheds is either its growing, its damaged, or has external parasites. The diet won't make him shed more, its not like he's getting healthier food so growing more!! He's eating less so will grow less, however, I know its true for boas, not sure for corns though, they have the ability to covert fat to muscle, so if there is a build up of fat, it could still be used to grow.
Fat is easier and quicker to store than muscle!!

[hijack] is that why they store fat then, or just to use as they would do in the wild to 'eat' if they dont find Roland for a while? at my local I saw a corn with fat stores like ping pong balls in his tail..[hijack/]

Hey Angel, could you get us a pic please? We maybe able to confirm some scale damage.

mikerichards Posted - 16/07/2010 : 13:35:49
The main reasons a snake sheds is either its growing, its damaged, or has external parasites. The diet won't make him shed more, its not like he's getting healthier food so growing more!! He's eating less so will grow less, however, I know its true for boas, not sure for corns though, they have the ability to covert fat to muscle, so if there is a build up of fat, it could still be used to grow.
Fat is easier and quicker to store than muscle!!
Secondly, should there be any damage, its likely to be quite severe for a fortnighly shed, so you would surely notice it, should you find severe damage, a vet may be in order, check the mouth, vent and all ventral scales.
3rd, parasitic infestations, specifically and very commonly the snake mites, specifically look under the scales from the tail of the snake, you would be able to see little black dots under the scales, and they are also noticable in the water bowl.

Either way, all 3 are easily treatable, maybe just a little time consuming!
Kellog Posted - 16/07/2010 : 12:51:17
Kellog is acting exactly the same as Hillzi's males and has increased his shedding cycle from about every 8 to 10 weeks.....and this time it will be just over a month since he last shed. But then he has started feeding again after his breeding fast so is now putting on weight that he has lost.

I think Scarlett could very well have got it right and that means it is a good sign...she has speeded up her shedding schedule because she is losing weight, which is what you want and she needs.

Dont worry about the period you dont handle her, the time that she is in blue she wont want to be out and about.

Go away for the weekend and hopefully you will return to a nicely shiny snake....if she hasnt shed already!

xxx
hillzi Posted - 15/07/2010 : 21:19:35
quote:
Originally posted by shaka1980

A snake would also start a shedding process off if it had any damaged scales. Its their way of healing themselves, might be down to that. Although i'm fairly new to being a snake owner so i might be well off the mark. lol

Yeah thats right.
herriotfan Posted - 15/07/2010 : 20:58:10
Mine sheds every month atm, he's a growing boy. I still handle and feed him even when he's in the blue. Some snakes are ok with that and some just want to be left alone. Only you can tell what your snake wants. So if you want to try and have her out for her exercise then it's up to you. You could leave her with a moist hide if you have concerns about her shedding while you're away. I'm sure she'll be fine though.
n/a Posted - 15/07/2010 : 20:35:54
A snake would also start a shedding process off if it had any damaged scales. Its their way of healing themselves, might be down to that. Although i'm fairly new to being a snake owner so i might be well off the mark. lol
hillzi Posted - 15/07/2010 : 20:06:19
My males now shedding every 3 weeks with the mediums, he's had 2 so far, so I think when he grows a bit, the shedding will slow down.
AngelX Posted - 15/07/2010 : 19:44:59
Ahh,, that would make sense! Thanks!
Scarlett Posted - 15/07/2010 : 16:52:28
Perhaps it's because you've got her on a better diet with more exercise?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000