The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Shedding Problem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Callazagy Posted - 07/07/2010 : 13:42:35
Hi, im getting worried about Arthas now, as some of you know he began the shedding process last tuesday when his eyes turned blue, by thursday he had cleared up, saturday night I predicted he would have shed by the morning, and he had... kind of. He only shedded his head (compelte with eye caps) and about 1 inch of his body, im now worried because he still hasn't shed the rest of his body a few days later. Ive been looking at some of the other forum posts on helping sheding, so ive been spraying the viv to make it slightly more humid each day, and ive bathed him a couple of times (ill put a humidty box in next time he sheds). It doesn't seem loose enough to be able to get it off with tweezers, theres just flakey bits an inch below his head.

On the pic below you can see he has shed his head succesfully, but the rest of his body is still dull and doesn't seem loose enough for him to get it off or me to get it off during his bath.

A section of the shed (i think the dog ate the head bit)

Obviously he still hasn't had anything to eat because of the risk of him regurgitating whilst bathing him.

So any idea why this has happened and what else can I do about it and can I stop worrying?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hillzi Posted - 16/07/2010 : 19:35:13
quote:
Originally posted by Callazagy

A section of the shed (i think the dog ate the head bit)

dont suprise me being a lab!!
Kellog Posted - 09/07/2010 : 11:18:33
I am glad that this last bath seems to have helped and he is managing to shed the last bits of his skin. I do hope it all comes off, but make sure you check the shed skin to make sure the tail tip is there....if that is retained it can cause a restricted blood flow and problems.

Just so you know in case this happens again, a bath is really a last resort when dealing with retained shed. The first thing to try is to dampen some kitchen paper or a small towel with luke warm water and let him wriggle through it, holding firmly so that the skin comes off. After running through it a couple of times the skin should have come off.

Quite often retained sheds can come off by themselves, another couple of days in the viv could sort it out. You could swap the usual hides for damp ones so he HAS to use them, then put the usual hides back in after a few days, if the retained shed has been resolved that's great, if not then the few days in the damp hides will have prepared him for a good bath.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699

To help him out next time he sheds, once you see him go 'blue' you can add an extra water bowl into his viv on top of the heat mat. Dont just move the original water bowl as your snake will not want to be drinking warm water. This will help raise the humidity, but will only work in wooden vivs. In faunariums there is too much ventilation so the extra humidity is lost.

I mist my snakes' vivs once a day in the morning, nothing more than that as you dont want to cause the humidity to rise too much as this can cause respiratory infections.

Once his eyes have cleared you can either add a damp hide or put moss in his usual hide, which will also help. In a wooden viv you can put the moss in the warm hide but in a faunarium you would need to put it in both hides to help him loosen his skin.

Do let us know how he gets on.

And you as well Shaka....I hope you get a clean shed from Eugene this time round with the extra help you have given....make sure you let us know.

xxx
n/a Posted - 08/07/2010 : 20:17:40
I've had Eugene since nov 09 and i think he's about 1 and a half yrs old by now, and i'm still yet to have a clean shed from him. Everytime he sheds about half his body and then i have to help him with the rest.

2 methods I find best is either bath him and then let him run through the towel (or even your hands), or put baby oil on your hands and let him run through them.

I noticed on tuesday night that he's actually gone into blue again, so ive put a large water bowl on top of his heat mat to increase the humidity. I've also sprayed water in everyday to help.

Fingers crossed he has a clean shed this time round. lol
Callazagy Posted - 07/07/2010 : 17:05:13
Thanks for the advice, I gave him another soak an hour ago, and he is now sheding, looks as though its coming off in one go.
Sta~ple Posted - 07/07/2010 : 16:11:25
Give him a bath in a RUB. If you put a bit of water in a RUB, warm and let him be able to like slither around the RUB. You don't want it so full so it doesn't swim. Then after 10 mins let him run through a damp towel.

Sometimes bad sheds just happen.
Kehhlyr Posted - 07/07/2010 : 15:19:55
Tweezers is a no no when it comes to shedding.
Have a better look at the multitude of threads on shedding and try something similar to the 'towel' method.

HannaH Posted - 07/07/2010 : 14:47:45
In my experience its nothing to worry about, Small snakes can sometimes have a hard time shedding all in one go, I dont think its because of any reason.

My python had a really bad shed not long ago managed his head and only his belly.

When its bad like that just bath them let them soak for a little while in warm water (if they'll sit still).
It will come off eventually.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000