The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Cat proofing?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sta~ple Posted - 24/06/2010 : 15:00:17
I have a sweet viv stack of 4. I'm a bit worried about other evil animals being able to open the glass doors at the bottom of the stack. Ideally lock that use the same keys would be awesome but they cost a lot. Locks that don't use the same key's are cheaper but a bit of a faff but I don't mind as long as it keeps the bottom 2 viv's safe.

Does anyone have those foam wedges and do these work against annoying cats?

It annoying, I'm not even protecting my snake from my cat as my cat doesn't care but someone else D:
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
herriotfan Posted - 28/06/2010 : 00:23:24
You could use both lock and wedges. However, despite others recommendations, I would not suggest the gun method. This is most likely to cause a great deal of abuse from the feline lovers amongst us on the forum!!!!!!! Of course you could shut kitty outside on a permanent basis. As long as you feed it and give it the odd stroke I see no reason why you should encounter any hostile remarks! No offence intended to cat owners...I love pushy kits.
Azzheasman Posted - 27/06/2010 : 23:22:41
my cat twitch has taken to running full belt down the stairs into the living room and headbutting the front of my vivs to try and get in, we just keep him away from the vivs now or if hes in there so's one of us :), i have slidey lock things on my vivs, and very thick 12mm glass lol.
reptiledanny Posted - 27/06/2010 : 13:58:48
i dair the cat to walk in front of u lol
hillzi Posted - 27/06/2010 : 12:18:19
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Or just buy a 12 ball shotgun,

May make a mess of the cat.

Tripwire attatched the trigger

Job done!

lol, that would be so funny lol

Blast the cat in pieces into next week.

Joking aside, I wouldn't kill a cat.. Just for the cats and my sake, I hope I dont catch the cat who persists on pooing on front garden and peeing in the staircase of our flat...!!!
Mouse Posted - 27/06/2010 : 10:15:33
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

2 tinfoil strips on the floor just in front of the vivs about 5mm apart work wonders when attached to any form of 600V DC supply.

Hhahahahahaha, why am I not surprised!!
reptiledanny Posted - 27/06/2010 : 07:23:38
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Job done!

lol, that would be so funny lol
hillzi Posted - 26/06/2010 : 21:34:54

Job done!
Sta~ple Posted - 26/06/2010 : 16:05:48
quote:

2 tinfoil strips on the floor just in front of the vivs about 5mm apart work wonders when attached to any form of 600V DC supply.

Might try that since my foot and water doesn't work. The only problem is that the cat that doesn;t bother them may stupidly decide to try and touch his own reflection XD

I tried to order some rubber wedges since a load of people said the locks make a horrible noise, crack glass and I would probably loose the keys lol I ordered them from some shop and then they gave me a refund and never sent them and still haven't told me try grrrr.....

Guess it will have to be ebay or I will buy some rubbers and cut them to shape XD
reptiledanny Posted - 26/06/2010 : 13:49:59
quote:

haha lol, that would be funny
Kehhlyr Posted - 26/06/2010 : 13:06:06
crazy JJ Posted - 26/06/2010 : 12:55:40
i just leave them in the locks as knowing me i would still forget what colours for what viv so yeah :D
reptiledanny Posted - 26/06/2010 : 12:41:28
in my local shop they have stuck pieces of paper on the lock and key wth a number on it so they now which lock it is
n/a Posted - 26/06/2010 : 12:38:42
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

I would go with the locks. You can just leave the kays in the locks and then you won't get them muddled up.

We used zip ties at work when he had loads of keys just put a different coloured zip tie around the lock and the same colour on the key cheap as chips as you can buy a bag of multi coloured zip ties for less than £1.00. 1001 uses for a zip tie
Other than that a blob of paint on each of the locks most car shops have out of date touch up sticks
luke1989 Posted - 24/06/2010 : 18:47:46
i had a metal lock and it was poo in my oponion, i have the sliding door type viv. so i went for 2 rubberwedges, which i put in firmly and my CURIOUS CAT trys to get in but never succeeds and has recentley been ignoring it all together.
Sta~ple Posted - 24/06/2010 : 18:43:31
I have just read that many of the metal locks don't seem to fit viv exotic vivs... :/
elament Posted - 24/06/2010 : 18:24:28
I use a lock on my top viv but the bottom viv has glass panels that are too close together. For this viv I have used strips of self adhesive velcro at either end to keep the doors closed. So far neither cat has worked out how to open them. Its cheap too just a pound from the pound shop for about a metre
DannyBrown91 Posted - 24/06/2010 : 18:18:01
I would go with the locks. You can just leave the kays in the locks and then you won't get them muddled up.
crazy JJ Posted - 24/06/2010 : 17:45:57
i have locks n keys, as my cat would love to 'play' with my snakies n then i know my snakies are safe from her :D
gmac Posted - 24/06/2010 : 17:23:30
i just use small rubber wedges on mine, but not sure if the cat or dog have ever tried to break in so dont know if they are other pet proof
Mouse Posted - 24/06/2010 : 17:12:01
I'd go for lock and key myself. Opposeable thumbs are needed for locks and keys! wedges are easily knocked out :D

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000