The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Weird black tip of tail?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AngelX Posted - 21/06/2010 : 17:24:07
Just handled my female who shed yesterday,I don't really know how to describe it but I noticed a black scabby sort of thing on the tip of my girl's tail, it didn't seem to hurt her, I first thought it could be her shed that she had left on but then it was only yesterday and I don't really think that it could have gone manky in a day, plus I was pretty sure I had got it all off. Also, it didn't peel off or anything, it looked like it was attached to her, I tried dampening some kitchen roll and running her tail through it but it still didn't come off, what are the symptoms of scale rot? it's probably not that but I just want to make sure, and any tips of how to get it off? I did try taking pictures of it but this was the best I got:

Sorry they're rubbish but they're better than nothing
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AngelX Posted - 24/06/2010 : 19:54:42
Thank you very much!! Been very helpful and I will keep an eye on it
Scarlett Posted - 23/06/2010 : 23:39:18
Ember very recently went through that. I don't know how it happened as I looked (and still keep looking) at her previous sheds and all were fine, so my guess was maybe she trapped it. With her last shed the tip just came off, you can't really tell as it was so minimal, and she has no problems holding on to anything and seems happy enough. It's just one of those things really, it'll either heal up properly or not but either way as long as you keep an eye on it she'll be a happy, healthy snakey =]
AngelX Posted - 23/06/2010 : 18:37:07
quote:
Originally posted by elament

When it happened to Xena I tried everything to get it off to no avail. I could see the retained shed which I had previously missed and tried a number of times to remove the skin but had no joy. Eventially the tip went black like yours. Like you I was lucky as it was only the very tip of her tail only a couple of millimeters....

Thanks elament, very re-assuring! Hopefully I will be as lucky as you with Xena. Thanks
elament Posted - 22/06/2010 : 23:00:59
When it happened to Xena I tried everything to get it off to no avail. I could see the retained shed which I had previously missed and tried a number of times to remove the skin but had no joy. Eventially the tip went black like yours. Like you I was lucky as it was only the very tip of her tail only a couple of millimeters and as a result i think her tail is a bit shorter and blunter but its hard to tell because it was so tiny. In any event it hasnt affected her in any way and her new tail tip looks fine. I hope you are as lucky as I was.
AngelX Posted - 22/06/2010 : 17:29:18
Thanks everyone! Yes like you Kellog, I am not expert what so ever but to me it sort of looks like the shed has stayed on after many other previous sheds and has just gone manky! As I have just held her I will try the cotton wool technique, but if it doesn't work I will try and post more pics but I will have to assume what everyone else has said, just the blood supply has been cut off to her tail during shed, It may drop off as everyone else has said but I will keep an eye on it. It doesn't look like there are any open cuts etc, I am pretty sure of it so I hope there won't be any infection in there.

Thank you all for the re-assurance and I know where to come if it gets any worse!!!
Kellog Posted - 22/06/2010 : 03:15:14
Is this your new female Angel? I seem to remember you saying that she was due to shed. Do you know any of her shedding history?

I am no expert, but from what I have learnt on here it does sound like the blood supply has been cut off after a number of bad sheds - you say it doesnt seem to hurt her....that makes me wonder whether she still has feeling in it.

You could try and soak the layers of shed off with warmish water and cotton wool, go really gently, don't pull at the tail. To be honest it sound like it could be quite bad and the end of the tail may have died. If this is the case then it may well dry up and drop off.

As HuffnPuff and Kdlang have said, if this happens it wont be too major a thing for her....and it does look like a tiny bit. (Lovely pic of Izzy!)

It may be a good idea to remove any substrate that is in the viv and keep the snake on paper to reduce the risk of infection? But, as I have said, I am no expert so this is just a suggestion.

xxx
kdlang Posted - 22/06/2010 : 00:15:33
My Izzy has got a very stumpy tail which I think must have been due to bad sheds at some point before I got him. You might just be able to see it in the pic on my sig in one of the tubes. It doesnt really effect him tho and he can still hang onto things with it

Edited cos I realised you cant see it in the sig pic as I cut it off lol. heres the pic

n/a Posted - 21/06/2010 : 21:11:41
Just to warn you the black tip may not come off, about 7 sheds ago lil Riz (who never sheds her tail right anyway) ended up like that. Sadly it has not gone away so I think maybe the blood supply was interupeted and the tip of her tail died. On the bright side it doesnt seem to affect her in anyway.
AngelX Posted - 21/06/2010 : 20:13:29
Ohh okayy, so I am guessing there is nothing to worry about? If it happens again I will let you know, thanks!! xx
elament Posted - 21/06/2010 : 19:03:42
This happened to me with my Xena but it was due to a piece of retained shed from last time. It came off when she shed next and in its place was a brand new tail tip.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000