The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 HIt and Run

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elament Posted - 20/06/2010 : 12:09:24

Got a bit of a problem now with Xena. She is getting too big to fit in her feeding box so last night I had the brainwave of feeding her on the table. I gave her the pinky she struck but just sat there with the top half in her mouth for ages. She then decided to make off with the pinky in her gob and I had to keep retrieving her to stop her going over the edge. As a result she spat out the mouse and then refused to eat it. I am planning on waiting another five days before I try her again and then try getting a bigger box to do it in. Am I right in assuming it was the stress of being retrieved that made her spit it out then refuse? Also as she didnt take it all the way down should I wait seven days for her stomach juices to kick in again or would it be safe to try feeding her again in five days? This was a stupid mistake on my part if I had fed her on the floor like I did with Colin I wouldnt have had an issue although by the way she headed off with it she was heading for the hills so god knows where she would have ended up. I wasnt expecting it because I have never seen a corn hit and run like that before.

thanks for the help in advance.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 22/06/2010 : 10:04:19
yep thanks guys for keeping me sane (well as near to as poss with me). Apparently it was what is called in the trade a small size three (fuzz). The one she had two months ago was a large fuzz. To be honest I didnt realise fuzzies came in different sizes so yet another thing learned. James my rep dealer was really pleased with Xena's progress. He said she has come on lovely and now she has gained a nice bit of length will probably start to fill out now so its all good. On another note Colin shed last night. Again a perfect one piece shed and he looks all lovely shiney and new this morning and had left me two pressies..a huge dollop and the biggest wee I have ever seen him do so I will be doing a full clearout later and I may have the camera handy to catch him in his new colours.
So its all good here. Thanks again for your help guys and gals.

Cheers

Steve
mikerichards Posted - 22/06/2010 : 06:08:29
To be honest, the whole reason she ran with it is probably because she felt open and vulnerable on a high table, I wouldn't worry about it, these things happen, even the odd regurge every now and then isn't a worry, things go on in a snakes head so simply that we would understand the concern, but its still there.
If she's keeping food down, then its all good.
Kellog Posted - 22/06/2010 : 04:02:24
Just remember Steve, there is no such thing as a text-book corn and they definitely like to keep us guessing!!

Whatever the reasons, all that is important is that Xena fed beautifully....and on the larger prey item, without a problem. It has been 2 months since you last tried her on that fuzzy and she regurged it, so maybe that extra time has given her the growth period she needed to now be able to handle them?

As for her feeding so soon after her 'hit and run'....I guess she didnt get a meal then, wasnt as stressed about it as you may have thought and was hungry .

I think we are all worryguts where our snakes are concerned, so you are not alone.

You have a rep dealer that comes round and helps out??!! I am jealous!

xxx
Sizzlesmum Posted - 21/06/2010 : 20:08:26
So pleased she fed ok this time

They never fail to confuse me lol.
elament Posted - 21/06/2010 : 19:00:14
Well get this for making me worry for nothing...
Tonight my rep dealer came round with two fuzzies. I had ordered large pinkies but he didnt have any and he knows Xena and brought two fuzzies round insisting that she would be fine with them. I told him what had happened and he laughed it off saying try her with these she will be fine trust me. Doubtfull I offered one to her expecting at worst another regurge...and she struck constricted and stuffed it straight down like nothing was amiss. I am relieved yes but also left scratching my head. This snake continues to amaze me lol. NOt only has she fed so soon as if nothing has happened but she has gone up a size. Talk about make me look like a worryguts lol.
Big Stew Posted - 21/06/2010 : 14:06:46
I have a separate rub to feed each of mine in, that way there's no chance of cross infection or another snakes cent putting them off feeding. As soon as I put them in the feeding rub, they go into feeding mode. Also there's no chance of escape or of them eating the aspen . Stew
Kellog Posted - 21/06/2010 : 04:08:04
Am so sorry to hear what happened with Xena when you tried to feed her this time Steve. Considering her feeding history I can understand how nervous you are about this being the beginning of a set-back for her. Just try to stay positive and feed her as normal on her next feeding day.

I havent heard about the stomach juices rushing up, but would have thought that it is more a case of only when the snake has swallowed the mouse and regured, hence the stomach juices having been working on digesting something, when they need time to recover. (really badly put I know but I am brain dead and it is 4am!)

You know I usually feed both of mine on the floor and I havent had any problem with hit and run, they were always too interested in the food to be worried about getting away. I was very nervous the first time I did it with Silvesta and did the same as you, did it on a table top....but he had always been a strike and coil snake so it wasnt an issue. Since they have both started feeding again I havent fed them on the floor yet....I am waiting until I am sure they are back feeding normally before I risk messing about with their feeding regime.

Now I feed both of mine in a shoe box with air holes punched in the lid and lined with kitchen roll. I just have to keep an eye on it as when they are finished Kellog is quite capable of pushing the lid off. I know I could weigh it down or tie it....but am so wary about disturbing them I would rather just be vigilant.

I do hope she feeds ok next time....she has been such a good feeder since you got her that I really do doubt you will have a problem. It was probably just the stress of you having to keep catching her that made her drop the pinkie and not feed....and hopefully by then she will have forgotten and be starving!

xxx
elament Posted - 20/06/2010 : 21:41:32
Thanks Hannah nice to know I havent got the only grab and run merchant.
HannahB Posted - 20/06/2010 : 14:40:53
my aura used to try and slither off with food in her mouth held high..then she would spit it out so we had to turn to holding her when we fed her otherwise she wouldnt eat
elament Posted - 20/06/2010 : 14:13:54
Brilliant idea mate I got a biscuit tin i keep their skins in. I also have an rub with back sides and an opaque lid thas about 12x12x12" (just a question of finding it)
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/06/2010 : 13:52:21
I've had some of mine do it a few times, one of my lizards does a similar thing with crix. When he grabs one he runs off somewhere dark to eat it.

If it is one of the crix boxes like it sounds like then any box that slightly larger will do it, a family circle biscuit tub, or a lunchbox.
Most of mine are all fed in tubs with opaque or solid colours on the sides, doesn't seem to make any odds as to how much light comes through it's just what feeding tubs I've got.
elament Posted - 20/06/2010 : 13:18:00
By the way has anyone else seen their Corn hit and run like this before. I havent with either of my two the nearest I have seen is Colin dragging a mouse back into his hide I certainly have never seen one lift the mouse aloft and slither off with it with the speed she did last night it caught me totally by suprise.
elament Posted - 20/06/2010 : 13:14:11
The box came with her I assume it is a cricket box as it is clear plastic and has a series of holes in the side for air. She is far too big for it now and its causing problems because on quite a few occassions she has struck right out of the box and I have had to catch her. Quite often as she coils bits of her end up out of the box so i have to put her back in. I fed Colin a couple of weeks ago for the first time out of his viv and fed him on the carpet. Seeing as xena is smaller than him I thought the table top would be fine but she made a run for it with the mouse in her mouth. I do have an rub somewhere but couldnt find it last night I may try that next time. You say that she should be alright re the stomach juices but I heard somewhere that when a snake strikes a rush of those juices go up the throat to meet the potential meal has anyone else heard that? I am in bits today now because Xena has a history with problem feeding and something like this could put her back I just hope this is not the case.
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/06/2010 : 13:05:00
If it went no further than her mouth then you wont have to wait the full time as she wont of used any of her digestive juices up, so trying again in a few days will be fine.
How big is the feeding box? My snakes don't seem to care with mine, I've managed to feed my big corn in a box that was only about 12x12 inches in the past.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000