The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake on the loose

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 19/06/2010 : 20:12:36
I am hoping someone with some expertise can give me some advice. Two weeks ago I found a snake skin in my bag which I keep under the stairs and which I had only used the day before. I discovered that the skin belongs to my neighbours corn snake that went missing 7months ago (he had warned my husband but he decided not to tell me knowing what my reaction would be!) we have a 20month old and I am 7month pregnant and terrified of anything living! Although I have read posts and spoke to people who assure me the cornsnake is not dangerous I still do not like the thought of it in my house. How long can a corn snake survive on it's own? And would it shed a skin if it wasn't feeding on something? How often do they shed their skin? Could this be the first skin shed in 7 months? If not I'm assuming the fact I haven't found one before now may indicate it not living in my house but has just decided to pay us a visit? My husband has searched the house and we have left the bottle trap for it, so has my neighbour as he thinks it may be living under the stairs between our two houses. It hasn't touched the trap so is that a good indicator that it has gone or does that just mean it's not hungry or very clever? Please can someone give me some advice on this as I am still struggling to sleep knowing it could be here with us.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 24/06/2010 : 06:36:23
You mention traps, what kin of traps are you using? Generally the snake won't go in to a trap unless there is food to draw it in.
I am guessing you are worried more because of nasty bugs and germs etc for the new baby, although there are very small amounts of bugs on the snake, unless you put it in your mouth you don't have to worry! Aggresion wise, a 2ft corn can seem to be scary, that's the impression they want to give so they don't get eaten! In reality, the worst they can do is bite, and to be honest, and speaking from experience, grazing a knuckle is more painful!
Do you have any other pets? Cats and dogs are a good way to find a snake, if they spend a lot of time in one place or hunt for something in a corner, that's a good give away.
Don't worry yourself to the point you lose sleep over it, its no threat to you or your little one at all.
As for the shed in the bag, its going to be more luck than judgement that he shed in there, its not significant, its just where he happened to be at that point.
I wish you luck!
Kellog Posted - 24/06/2010 : 03:43:32
quote:
Originally posted by Scaredofsnake

Thankyou for all this advice I am glad I found this link as it's been really difficult getting advice on this and it is a big worry for me as much as I know it's harmless I just hate the idea of it........

No need for the thanks Kate, that is what the forum is here for....I am just glad that it has been of some help to you and hope that we have managed to allay your fears slightly. I can totally understand you hating the idea of it still being loose in your house, despite knowing it is harmless....and it is a natural reaction. You may have something roaming your house that shouldnt be there.

It certainly does sound like what your neighbour has suggested, with the hole through the wall by the fuse box being a point of entry and exit, is a strong possibility. I do hope that it has returned back to your neighbour's house, but know that you wont sleep easy until it has been found. I just hope that your neighbour is doing everything he can to try and locate it....especially as he now knows it is alive and where it might be moving around.

Thanks for promising to keep us informed....we will be relieved when it is safe and sound as well, as none of us like the idea of a snake on the loose.

xxx
n/a Posted - 22/06/2010 : 22:43:55
Thankyou for all this advice I am glad I found this link as it's been really difficult getting advice on this and it is a big worry for me as much as I know it's harmless I just hate the idea of it. the changing bag that the skin was in was kept under the stairs where we have an open cupboard and where we hang coats and keep all our general household bits and bobs! I use the bag everyday and just throw it under the stairs so it was lucky, or I was lucky, that I didn't actually find the snake in my bag! The neighbour thinks it had come through from his house via a small gap above our fuse box which is also under the stairs, we have filled the gap with paper I just hope if it is how the snake got through he actually went back before we filled the gap!! Thanks for all the advice I will keep you informed if we have any luck in finding it.
Kellog Posted - 21/06/2010 : 03:40:35
I am not surprised you are a bit worried about all this Kate. I know you were warned by your neighbour that his snake had got out but you still dont expect it to turn up in your house let alone shed in your little one's changing bag!

I know we can say this time and time again and you will still find it hard to believe....but the likelihood of the snake biting it very small. It is more likely to sense your presence and disappear before you are aware that it is there.

If you do see it and think you can pick it up then do so very slowly and gently....scoop it up, using both hands and being careful to support it so it isnt dangling. Hold it firmly and gently as it WILL try to escape from your grip - but that is a natural reaction for it and you must not react to it but continue as you are. It may be an idea to have a couple of shoe boxes with air holes punched in their lids and lined with kitchen roll in strategic places around the house, so that if you do find it and manage to catch it you can put it in a box straight away ready to return it to its owner. You will need to tie string around the box as it will try and escape by pushing the lid off. I also totally understand if you feel unable to pick it up - that is not at all surprising....but just note where it is and get your neighbour. It may be gone when he gets there but at least he can search the surrounding area.

Check this link as it gives good suggestions on finding a lost snake (which you may try showing your neighbour)....but it also may help you in locating it as I am sure you would rather find out where it is rather than just live with the thought that it 'might' be sharing the house with you - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9321. Obviously it is written from the viewpoint of the owner having lost the snake, but the hiding places still apply.

It is interesting that is chose that bag to shed in, especially as you use it every day and so it is therefore something that is moved around regularly. Is it kept in a certain place that the snake could be returning to? It could have used the bag as they often start their shed by rubbing their heads against things to try and loosen their skin....and it would have felt vulnerable, so your bag was a safe place to do it....but strange none the less.

I know you are worried about your daughter finding it, but Kehhlyr is right....she would probably pick it up quite happily (and it may well be happier being picked up by her as it wont pick up any fear vibes) and then come to show you what she has found.

It could very well be drawn to your airing cupboard where there is heat....it may be worthwhile putting a box in there lined with a small towel so offer it a 'hide', which you could check regularly. You could even put some water there....anything that might draw it out. You could do the same in any places you think it might be. You would be amazed at how hardy they are and, as has been said, can go for a long time without food. My 2 males have just come out of breeding season and have started eating again after refusing food since the beginning of March. They are also very clever and adaptable creatures and will find food and water where they can.

It does worry me that your neighbour lost it after only 1 day! I wonder how it got out? I would think he was very pleased with the news that you had found the shed and proof that his snake was still alive. Had he given up on finding it?

I do hope you find it, and soon. I know you could do without the stress, especially at the moment. Just please try and keep uppermost in your mind what we have all said - they are not dangerous and will not hurt you or your daughter, even if it does bite which is exceedingly unlikely.

Well done for finding us and trying to get all the info you can about corns....I just hope we have managed to have been some help.

xxx

Kehhlyr Posted - 20/06/2010 : 22:41:29
If it could get under the floors, you'd be surprised at the amount of condensation that forms on water pipes under the floorboards.
They can go months without food, and a good few weeks without a proper water source as well.
n/a Posted - 20/06/2010 : 22:12:52
I did have another question, if cornsnakes need water regularly and say this snake has been living somewhere between the two houses where is it likely to find water? And if it has been under the stairs between the two houses are we likely to find it upstairs or even as high as the loft? I'm just wondering if it would be drawn to our airing cupboard where the tank is? We put a trap in there too but it hasn't touched it!
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/06/2010 : 22:00:56
To be honest I think your daughter is more likely to pick it up and bring it to you to show you, kids have absolutely no fear, especially when it comes to creepy crawlies.
As to the flour, just put lines of it along doorways and places where it could get into and little tunnel type dents in the flour will show you if it's been in or out of the room.
n/a Posted - 20/06/2010 : 20:03:15
Thankyou for all the advice I guess I will just have to live with the fact it could be here alive or dead or it may well have gone back, we can't see any signs of poo or any other skin anywhere else in our house so hoping that means he just visited us one day, I just don't understand why he chose my bag to crawl into to shed his skin, do they go any place in particular to shed? I use this bag everyday it's actually my nappy changing bag where my daughter always goes hunting for food so the thought she could have found something else terrifies me! My neighbour said this snake will be between 1.5-2 feet long, which he said was small so I'm assuming it's quite young but he had only had the snake in his house 1 night before it escaped! So for now I'll keep my house lined in flour and hope this will help us know if it here still or not and if I do see it I hope I don't go into labour early!
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/06/2010 : 13:53:40
Obviously if you're close to me, I shall come and rescue you if it appears, just don't tell your neighbour.

Free snake FTW.
elament Posted - 20/06/2010 : 13:37:34
I dont know if this may allay your fears but everything kehhyr has said is absolutely true. You really have nothing to fear from a cornsnake bite at worst its like being scratched rather than bitten and seeing as they are NOT poisonous in any way even a bite (which is extremely rare) would do you no more harm than a bee sting (in fact if you ask some of the people on here that have been bitten they will tell you a bee sting is a lot more painful). Also seeing as it has found a way from your neighbours house into yours there is also a good chance it may have returned there. Another point is if you do not use that bag and have no idea when it left the skin it may have been ages ago the snake may not even be still alive to be honest. Stick with the traps and the other advice given here and you will be fine. If you do come across it I have no doubt your neighbour will be only too happy to come and retrieve it so salvation is only next door. If you do happen to come across it the snake will rattle or hiss at you by way of warning long before it strikes so in essence it will tell you to go away anyway but please please dont be worried a cornsnake even a cornered frightened one is certainly not as dangerous as you may be thinking and at the very least at least while it is around you wont have a mouse problem which in many respects is a lot more dangerous and harder to get rid of.

cheers

steve
Kehhlyr Posted - 19/06/2010 : 23:17:32
Unfortunately he's a cornsnake and they feed when they're able to, so if they find food they'll be eat.

Just because he's shed doesn't mean that he'll be hungry, it could mean he's either just due to shed or has been injured in some way so the shedding is a natural way to help heal his scales.

They are totally harmless, and although you could be told that several times because you're scared of snakes nothing will convince you otherwise but what we can tell you is that IF they bite it doesn't hurt anything more than an injection, and generally you'll only need to fear them if you're about the size of a 'C' size battery, so both you and the 20 month old are completely safe.
There is a big IF on the biting, because it's very rarely they do, normally they only will if they are scared and feel threatened or if you smell like a mouse/rat.
For example if it was inside a shoe cupboard and you opened the door, it'd more than likely just try to hide somewhere until you've gone.

I can understand why you're so scared, but if there's anything else you'd like to know or would like help or advice with then just ask.
Sta~ple Posted - 19/06/2010 : 22:15:50
They can live quite a long tome without food, I'm guessing it will have found some food on it's own. How often they shed their skin normally does depend on how old they are, younger snakes shed more often than adults. It is likely that it has shed another time before you found it in your bag.

If he has found his own meal by himself recently, this is one reason why he might not be going for the bottle trap. He is likely somewhere dark and warm.

Your lucky he didn't leave a poopy present after the shed XD

kdlang Posted - 19/06/2010 : 22:04:23
Sorry I can't be of much help. I would imagine if it has just shed that it will be hungry although I am far off being an expert and only guessing. I can't really answer any of your other questions but I'm sure someone will be along soon. You could try maybe putting a warm hot water bottle with a towel or box on top of it to try to encourage it to a warm place. SAying that tho it may encourage it to spend more time at your house. hmmm still thinking on this one

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000