The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Not Shedding?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AngelX Posted - 17/06/2010 : 18:29:21

I rehomed a female corn snake on Sunday whilst she was in blue, she looked very dull and her eyes were the usual shedding blue colour. The previous owner said that she would shed within the next few days. However only today I noticed that her eyes were almost back to normal and (I think this is very weird) only half of her body looked like she was shedding, the other half wasn't really dull, it was like she has an invisible line all the way down her back splitting her left side form her right,and only one was in shed, if that makes sense. Could this be down to the fact that she has moved house and her stress would of put it off? Or is there anything else? I haven't been handling her either.
Any help would be appreciated! and will update everyone on her progress!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AngelX Posted - 23/06/2010 : 18:42:10
Thanks Kellog,I have checked and both eye caps are there which is what I wanted to see more than anything!! But, like I said in another post I think she has a dodgy tail, but doing everything I can to solve that!
Kellog Posted - 21/06/2010 : 04:16:50
Told you Angel ....they shed in secret just to annoy us !! But the good news is that she has shed and although it wasnt a full 'clean' shed....by the sounds of it she got it all off, which is what is important.

Have you managed to check the shed skin to make sure everything is there? I know that is hard sometimes when it is in bits, but it does just reassure you that she is clean of retained shed....especially the eye-caps and tail tip, as it can sometimes be hard to spot on the snake if they have been retained. I know I had a 'bitty' shed with Kellog the last time and managed to find one eye-cap but not the other. Checking him out closely I couldnt see any sign of retained shed around the eye so can only assume that the other has come off and I just havent found it....but I know I would have been a lot happier if I could have seen both eye-caps in that shed.

Now all we need are pics !!

xxx
AngelX Posted - 20/06/2010 : 18:43:15
Yes Kellog you were right! I woke up this morning to see her shed in her viv, so it must of been in the early hours of this morning as I checked on her at around half eleven twelve last night, I was disappointed that I missed it but so happy that she shed! It wasn't a clean shed, but I am pretty sure that everything has came off as I have given her a thorough check over this morning!
Kellog Posted - 19/06/2010 : 05:26:58
Glad to hear she is now totally back to nearly normal, so it could be any day now.

What you need to look out for is her being a bit more active, then rubbing her head along the sides of her viv, hide, any branches, etc. This happens because she is trying to loosen the shed from around her jaw....and once that has loosened then it can happen very quickly! But be warned....I am convinced there is a corn-conspiracy ! They seem to wait until their owners leave the room and then slip out of their old skin and slither round quite happily in their new bright colours showing them off when their owners return to the room....with their old skin lying forlorn in the corner . Seriously though, a lot of corns shed at night and I know a number of members havent had the chance to see their corns shed....despite keeping them for a number of years. So I really do hope you get lucky and get to see her shed.

What is vital once she has shed is checking the shed skin for the eye caps and tail tip....as if these are retained they can cause problems. If the shed is not a clean one then you know where you can come for help .

xxx

AngelX Posted - 18/06/2010 : 17:43:46
Thanks everybody! Will mist the viv and place an extra water bowl over the heat mat! She has gone nearly back to normal so I am hoping she will shed tomorrow or Sunday, Thanks!
elament Posted - 18/06/2010 : 11:34:37
Yep I too wouldnt use kitchen towel. Have you tried calling your rep shop a lot of them do deliveries.
Kellog Posted - 18/06/2010 : 10:40:36
I also wouldnt use damp kitchen towel as it does tend to crumble and could stick to her causing a problem.

If you cant get hold of moss then you could try misting the viv just once a day to raise the humidity a bit. I am not sure if she is in a viv or a faun, but if she is in a viv you could also add an extra water bowl on top of the heatmat (dont just move her normal one as you dont want her drinking warm water).

It does sound a bit strange the way you describe 'it was like she has an invisible line all the way down her back splitting her left side form her right,and only one was in shed'. Just wait a couple of days having raised the humidity a bit and see what happens.

You know where to come if things dont proceed smoothly .

xxx

HannahB Posted - 17/06/2010 : 19:07:07
people have used it in the past but personally i wouldnt as its not made to hold water in the same way moss does, you can let your snake wriggle through damp kitchen towel in your hands to get any retained shed off after they have shed though
AngelX Posted - 17/06/2010 : 18:56:29
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

after their eyes go blue and cloudy they clear up..their whole body goes clear again giving the impression that they have shed already when they havent, you'll see that in a few days she will shed and look all shiny.

Thanks HannahB, I will just have to wait! Instead of spagnum moss, would damp kitchen roll be alright? As our nearest reptile shop is quite far away! Thanks!
HannahB Posted - 17/06/2010 : 18:42:22
after their eyes go blue and cloudy they clear up..their whole body goes clear again giving the impression that they have shed already when they havent, you'll see that in a few days she will shed and look all shiny,
i think thats what you were asking about? if she appears to be struggling you might want to think about putting some damp sphagnum moss in her hides,it will raise the humidity slightly which will help her get the stuck shed off

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000