The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 little update on Snitch

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
katyjane80 Posted - 16/06/2010 : 21:00:37
Hi all.....just wanted to update those who were kind enough to advise me when i got Snitch.
Well he is doing great...i got a digital thermometer and a thermostat for the heat mat.
He is taking food (from my fingers) he is more relaxed now when i get him out.....probably knows its lunch time.
I have bought a 3 foot viv, although he isn't in it yet coz he would be lost in it ...so in the meantime i have been getting it set up and have bought logs, fake cactus....a bigger hide and water bowl etc.

I just fed him and noticed his eyes are blue again...I have moved the water bowl to the warm end as last time he didnt shed in one complete piece. is this ok?

Also I am feeding him twice a week as recommended by the pet shop as this is how they were feeding him. The pinkies i bought yesterday were slightly bigger than the first lot and are leaving a slight bulge on the way down...is twice a week ok?

As always...thanks
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 19/06/2010 : 05:29:32
quote:
Originally posted by katyjane80

to be honest he is ok where he is at the moment...i am not in a mad rush to get him inti the viv...the faun is more than big enough....i will wait until he is bigger before i even attempt to put him in

That is good Katy. The general rule of thumb that is followed is that once the snake's length = the length + depth of their faun/RUB then they need to be moved up a size....so that may help guide you in when to move Snitch.

xxx
katyjane80 Posted - 18/06/2010 : 16:45:18
to be honest he is ok where he is at the moment...i am not in a mad rush to get him inti the viv...the faun is more than big enough....i will wait until he is bigger before i even attempt to put him in
Kellog Posted - 18/06/2010 : 10:34:03
Glad you will get the guard Katy, it is not only the danger of them burning themselves but also the risk of them crushing the bulb.

The worry about Snitch slipping through the glass sliding doors is definitely a worry - just checkout this pic thread: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9578. It should give you some hints on what you can do to try and make it as escape proof as possible. Cant remember if it mentions it, but you can also get a lock to fit on the glass....which I know a lot of members use.

xxx

katyjane80 Posted - 17/06/2010 : 20:38:13
yeah thanks Hannah thats what i was thinking too....for a couple of quid its better than a burned snake......
HannahB Posted - 17/06/2010 : 18:55:44
id get a guard regardless - imo its better to be safe than sorry,
how big a bump does 1 pinkie leave? if its a relatively big bump still then one pinkie every 5 days will be fine, if its not very big you could maybe try 2 small pinkies
katyjane80 Posted - 17/06/2010 : 09:38:52
once again...thanks kellog...yes the handling is a problem coz i feel like i am always saying to my son...you can touch him for 2 days now coz he has just been fed...I will start feeding him every 5 days instead...just one pinkie every 5 days???
his eyes are still blue so i will get some moss today and put it in when eyes are clear....yeah the viv will look cool....but i wouldn't trust him not to slip between the sliding glass yet coz he is still only little....just another quick question..i bought a light fitting for the viv...just for cosmetic purpose...the pet shop sold me an energy saving bulb and assured me i wouldnt need a guard coz it doesnt get hot.....is this right...(i haven't plugged it in yet to check)
thanks
Katy
Kellog Posted - 17/06/2010 : 03:51:07
I am so glad that Snitch seems to be settling down. I bet you cant wait until you can move him into that viv and have had lots of fun setting it up for him ....it sounds like he is a very spoiled snake !

With you feeding him as often as you are it must mean that the only time you get to handle him is when it is time to feed him....which is such a shame. Feeding him every 3 days doesnt give his stomach the chance to digest the previous meal fully, so it is constantly working on digesting. Definitely move to feeding him every 5 days as Danny has suggested. This will also mean that you have time to handle him between feeds. How much does he weigh?

I am sorry that he had such a bad shed last time, I had to help Silvesta out with his last shed and it is not nice to do. I have never dealt with fauns but think that Danny is right about there being more ventilation so it is harder to increase the humidity.

I mist my snakes' vivs once a day in the morning, nothing more than that as you dont want to cause the humidity to rise too much as this can cause respiratory infections....whether this will help in a faun I am not sure but may be worth a try.

Once his eyes have cleared it sounds as though it is definitely a good idea to put some moss in both hides to help him loosen his skin.

(Once he moves into the viv you can use the method of putting a water bowl in the warm end, but you need to add an extra one as you dont want him drinking warm water!)

I do hope this helps, let us know how he gets on.

xxx
katyjane80 Posted - 16/06/2010 : 21:29:53
yes but it wasnt a complete shed and i had to let him slip through damp kitchen paper to get skin from his tail....i will get some moss tomorrow and add some to both hides...hopefully that will work...his eyes are blue at the minute..
DannyBrown91 Posted - 16/06/2010 : 21:25:47
yes that is a bit too much, try feeding him every days. It may be a faun,but either way if it is well ventilated particularly on the lid then raising the humidity of the whole enclosure won't work. The other thing you could do would be to give him a damp hide. It is upto you wether you put the moss in an original hide or add another.

Has he shed with you before?
katyjane80 Posted - 16/06/2010 : 21:09:31
I feed him on a sunday and a wednesday....is this too much?..he is in a box with a big and small opening on the top...the ones you get with a starter kit...is this a faun?? it is well ventilated???

ok should I add some moss to his hide?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 16/06/2010 : 21:06:44
Its good to hear hes doing ok.

When you say twice a week what do you mean? for instance are you feeding every 4 days, 5 days, etc?

Also what is he housed in? If hes in a faunarium moving the water bowl to aid humidity may not help because there is so much ventilation, but if he is in a RUB or viv then that would be fine.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000