The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 ok im confused now

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
misspiggy18 Posted - 15/06/2010 : 19:17:55
im reading on another top about on/of mat stats what are they and what do they do im confused. i was going to get a habistat mat stat with my heat mat but how do these work do they restrict the temps from moving or do tey switch on and of do i need to buy a on/of mat stat as well
sorry if this sounds stupid im just confused.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Matt_Brooks Posted - 15/06/2010 : 20:25:44
I use a On/Off Mat Stat and it isnt too bad but i think i would prefer a pulse. Mine has a temp of around 2+/- the set temp. Mine is set to 28 and seems to go up to around 29.5ish before it drops off and comes on around 27.5ish so they are entirely acurate but its still within the desired temps for a corn so im not too worried.

If you have the extra pennies i would recommend going for a pulse though as they are so much more acurate.
mikerichards Posted - 15/06/2010 : 20:18:28
That's petty much covered it, temp stats are the same as mat stats, which heat up then turn off, dimmers balance the power in to match the temp so its nearly always on, but not at full power. Pulse stats work much the same way, instead of dimming the power feed they switch on and off rapidly to maintain temps.
If you are after a stat, go dimmer or pulse, worth the extra pennies by far.
I only use 1 mat stat now, and that's only because its a twin.
headlow Posted - 15/06/2010 : 20:03:03
Habistat do the Mat-Stat, and the also do more powerful on/off stats, but for a little more money you'd be better going for the pulse stat.
Kellog Posted - 15/06/2010 : 19:44:59
I THINK I have got this right in a very basic way Amy (but probably not in a technical way )....

Whatever stat you have you set it to a certain temp....and you then have to tweak it until you are happy that the temp is constant and the right temp for the viv/faun (which is why it is a good idea to get your set-up at least a week before getting your snake). Obviously the only way this can be monitored is with a digital thermometer so you can be 100% sure what the temp in the viv/faun is.

With an on/off stat, when the heatmat reaches the temp the stat is set at it switches the heatmat off and then allows it to drop a few degrees before switching it back on and letting it heat back up again. Some members use these without a problem while others (like myself) have had them drop as much as 5oC before switching back on....which is too big a temp difference for my liking.

A pulse stat pulses power to the heatmat to match proportionally the energy needed to maintain the temp that the stat is set at. I have certainly found that it is a more accurate method of temp control, allowing only about 1oC difference.

I THINK Habistat only do the pulse stats (http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=2308&ProductGroupID=1137), not the on/off ones....these are done by microclimate (http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1830&ProductGroupID=931). You only need to buy the one type of stat, you just have to choose which one you prefer.

As I say, I am no good on the technicalities....but this is what I understand to be the way that they work. Also be aware that what I have said about them is only my personal opinion going on my experience with both types....other members will say differently.

xxx
reptiledanny Posted - 15/06/2010 : 19:21:40
an on/off mat stat i think is a mat stat, so if i am correct they are the same thing. if i am wrong someone will correct me

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000