The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Goin the Loo!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sullysteve Posted - 14/06/2010 : 22:33:19
hi peeps,
I have had Rusty for exactly 2 weeks and i aint seen an mm of S**t. yet i have fed hime twice. Can someone tell me if this is normal?
Maybe its that small i cant find it? he hatched in feb this year if that helps!

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sullysteve Posted - 15/06/2010 : 20:59:23
no probs kellog....ill sort the temp out. I have the temp probe and the stat probe aqua glued to the top of the heat mat with the substrate on top.
Kellog Posted - 15/06/2010 : 20:08:45
The info you have been given is right Steve. I would definitely reduce the temp in your viv as 31oC is too high. The temps Danny has given to you are right, between 27 - 29oC. How are you measuring your temps?

It could certainly be that he is taking everything he needs from his food and not excreting very much....so small that you cant see it. He will have done something, just a minuscule amount.

What you do need to check is, as ReptileDanny has said, whether there is a bulge near his vent. If there is then it is likely Rusty is due a poo. Handling often encourages them to give you a lovely gift ....or you can do as he suggests and pop Rusty in a bath (it can be done in a RUB, sink, washing bowl, bath whatever is a good size. Put a digital thermometer in it to make sure that the water is between 27 and 28oC. It should be deep enough that its belly can touch the floor in case it wants to rest.)

But I would think that a bath is a last resort....and probably unnecessary at the moment. Just have a good look round his faun, sieving his substrate through your fingers. This is really more to reassure yourself that everything is functioning ok. And as you handle him just run him through your fingers and see if you can feel a bump near his vent.

I honestly dont think it is anything to worry about....as long as Rusty is eating, drinking and behaving normally then dont stress!

xxx
Sta~ple Posted - 15/06/2010 : 16:13:01
What substrate is he on? I have to really dig amount in my feb hatchies substrate so see if theirs any poops.
kdlang Posted - 15/06/2010 : 13:30:49
If you haven't smelt it then he hasn't done one, particularly if it's the first one after a feed. Alice usually only does one poo a couple of days after a feed. However this week, i opened his viv 4 days after his feed and he had done me a second poop. I couldnt see it but I could smell it. I would definitely reduce the temp a bit and see if that makes a difference. What are you monitoring the temps with?
reptiledanny Posted - 15/06/2010 : 07:53:28
if he has a bump where his vent is and seems to not be pooing try giving him a bath and that should loosen everything up and then he should leave you a lovely (and smely) gift in the bath
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/06/2010 : 23:20:08
31 is a bit warm and maybe why he is spending time higher up.

try and aim for a temp of around 27-29c
sullysteve Posted - 14/06/2010 : 23:17:11
Hmmm, you got me thinking now....he does spend a lot of time high up in the ivy. My temp on the mat is 31 c so up there it will be much cooler. Does that sound ok?
herriotfan Posted - 14/06/2010 : 22:46:40
Sometimes they don't poo after every single feed. They can take so much nutrition from their meal that there's so little to 'get rid' of. To reassure yourself anyway just check on your temps to make sure there's enough heat. Snakes need warmth to aid digestion. I'm sure all is fine and nature will take it's course given time.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000