The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 He went MENTAL!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sammysnake Posted - 14/06/2010 : 21:41:25
Usually my snakes are in different rooms. When I got Saracen I briefly toyed with the idea of introducing him to Twilight just to see what happened but when he turned out to be such an aggressive feeder, I decided better to be safe and keep them apart. Well yesterday Twi was begging to come out whilst I was busy on the computer so I took him in with me to the room where Saracen is. I could see Saracen watching me so I just moved Twi a little closer to the glass so they could see each other. Twi was placid and laid back as ever, taking no notice. Saracen flipped out - literally threw himself the length of the viv, shot around all his furniture like a blur and finished up pressed upright against the glass at his fullest height. I took Twi away immediately but for ages Saracen was in hunting mode searching every inch of his viv and really twitchy. I guess he was extra defensive because he was inside his own viv and protecting his territory but boy am I glad I followed my instincts and didn't put the two of them together in the open.

As an aside, here's a truly gross picture of Saracen eating a minute ago. He popped all the guts out of this poor little mousey.

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 17/06/2010 : 04:20:44
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse

The image in my head is of Saracen doing the whole "Have you seen my beach ball" *flexes muscles* "I think it went THAT way" *Flexes muscles again!*

Mouse, you come up with such fantastic images....I love the way your mind works !

xxx
Mouse Posted - 16/06/2010 : 09:39:46
The image in my head is of Saracen doing the whole "Have you seen my beach ball" *flexes muscles* "I think it went THAT way" *Flexes muscles again!*
n/a Posted - 16/06/2010 : 09:35:54
wow thats some reaction. out two are very curious of each other. we worry that houdi wouldnt be very gentle with tiggs bcoz she is so tiny but we have held them out of their vivs close to each other and they were playing nice.

that pic is horrid ewwe lovely snake but the guts yuck. glad ours never managed it
Sammysnake Posted - 16/06/2010 : 08:23:13
Hi Ju. We always handle them both on the bed and interestingly it's Twi who pays more attention moving along the same trail as Saracen and flicking his tongue double time. Saracen only gets vaguely interested if I have him out after I've fed Twilight. Generally he's a slow and lazy snake!

Saracen was fine feeding when I first got him but after his first constrict he just got more and more excited every time he smells mousy. Generally he's a very timid snake - when I put my hand in the viv to let him smell it he moves away and when I touch him I feel him vibrating although he's fine the instant he's picked up. Twi on the other hand will come straight to me and just climb up my arm.

I know Saracen was one of a pair bought from a reptile shop as a hatchling with Pearl who I was told was female but they were both in their own 3 foot vivs and looked very well cared for. I don't know how quickly they went into their vivs - I get the impression it might have been from babies but as to whether they ever met outside, I don't know.

Twilight has now moved into Saracen's room (so I can get some sleep) - his viv is on top so they can't see each other but Saracen seems OK, his usual calm self. No more meetings for those two though.
Kellog Posted - 15/06/2010 : 19:58:02
Wow Sam....I bet Saracen's reaction to Twi being so close to his viv must have seriously made you jump !! Kellog and Silvesta have met once. Silvesta wasnt bothered and ignored Kellog, but Kellog was a bit jumpy and remained that way for a while afterwards. They have been given the chance to look into each others vivs and whoever is inside the viv will sometimes come up to look at who is looking in....but I have never had a reaction like you got from Saracen. Do they ever get handled in the same room (but at different times)? I know that Kellog, in particular, will follow where Silvesta has been if Silvesta has first been out....you can see him following the scent trail.

Makes me wonder whether Saracen has had a bad experience with another snake in his past. I guess you dont know too much about him, except the fact that he is such an aggressive feeder and has been a handful (and taken a chunk out of you ).

As for that pic of Saracen and the popped mouse . I thought it was bad when I had to slit open the guts to get Silvesta to eat....but I think that witnessing that must be even worse .

xxx
Sammysnake Posted - 15/06/2010 : 16:27:22
quote:
Was the mouse really hot before you gave it to him? the only time i have had a mouse pop is when i had a funny feeding royal, i super heated the mouse and she emptied it when she took it.

I think it might have been partially cooked! Usually I let them defrost naturally followed by a quick blast with the hairdryer but I forget to take a mouse out of the freezer before I went out last night. I popped this one in a bag into a cup of warm water. I probably left it in a bit too long. Still, he had fun eating it and rolling around in the guts in the process (you are sick!!).
mikerichards Posted - 15/06/2010 : 15:27:43
Was the mouse really hot before you gave it to him? the only time i have had a mouse pop is when i had a funny feeding royal, i super heated the mouse and she emptied it when she took it.
mrsT Posted - 15/06/2010 : 10:16:05
Sounds like Twi had a lucky escape!
Poor little mouse....maybe Saracen needs some anger management
inkiepixie Posted - 15/06/2010 : 08:23:11
Bella does that with her mice too! We've had burst mice with guts out of either end before now. Ewwwww.
herriotfan Posted - 14/06/2010 : 22:48:18
Looks like he 'took it out' on that poor little mouse!!! Oh boy, if you're going to spill guts that's the way to do it!!!!!!!
mozacchio Posted - 14/06/2010 : 22:18:56
The pic is really gross!
I wonder why Saracen acted like that..!
kdlang Posted - 14/06/2010 : 21:58:01
im glad i don't av to go in his viv. that poor mousey
n/a Posted - 14/06/2010 : 21:45:46
naughty saracen, i bet he thought he was going to have to share his lovely viv and threw a tantrum lol :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000