The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 1st shed?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/06/2010 : 15:21:41
Realised why my snake hasnt eaten for a few days, hes began his first shed. ive done a bit of research on helping the process but can anyone give me any tips from experience? Also, how long after shedding should they be offered food?

cheers guys
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 14/06/2010 : 04:05:18
You can help the process Marc, but hopefully your corn should shed fine. It is probably a good idea to leave him to do this first shed alone, as that way you can assess whether he is going to need help or not - it would be better not to raise humidity to help him shed when it may not be necessary.

Once his eyes have cleared then it could be anything from a couple of days to 5 (differs with every snake) before he actually sheds. You need to look out for then is him being a bit more active, then rubbing his head along the sides of his viv, hide, any branches, etc. This happens because he is trying to loosen the shed from around his jaw....and once that has loosened then it can happen very quickly! But be warned....I am convinced there is a corn-conspiracy ! They seem to wait until their owners leave the room and then slip out of their old skin and slither round quite happily in their new bright colours showing them off when their owners return to the room....with their old skin lying forlorn in the corner . Seriously though, a lot of corns shed at night and I know a number of members havent had the chance to see their corns shed....despite keeping them for a number of years. So I really do hope you get lucky and get to see your corn shed.

As Nottm said, what is vital once he has shed is checking the shed skin for the eye caps and tail tip....as if these are retained they can cause problems. If the shed is not a clean one then you know where you can come for help.

I am one of those owners who chooses not to handle or feed from the point of my snakes eyes turning blue to them shedding. To my thinking they are very vulnerable at this time as their eyesight is compromised, so in the wild they would be hidden away....not out looking for food. I also know that missing one meal isnt going to make any difference. BUT this is only my personal choice and I know lots of members do feed their snakes during this time - and some snakes will feed while blue but others wont.

As for feeding him afterwards....you can feed him straight away if you want. If mine has missed a feed then I usually wait until the next day and then feed them....but again, that is purely what I do - there is no set text book to follow in how you deal with your corn, it is up to you and knowing your corn and using common sense.

xxx
n/a Posted - 13/06/2010 : 19:48:49
cheers guys.
n/a Posted - 13/06/2010 : 19:32:47
as Danny said he shouldnt have any problems shedding. However once he has shed check him over and make sure that the eye caps have come away with the old skin and the tip of the tail. As soon as I see mine going into shed i,e when his eyes turn blue I spary his viv once a day with warm water to increase the humidity a little just as an aid to soften the skin. As far as feeding I stick to his normal day which is fridays, so if he shed on Monday I would wait till Friday and if he shed Friday morning I would feed him later that night, which is what happened on this occassion. Hope this helps
lee2308 Posted - 13/06/2010 : 16:13:18
you could move the water bowl to the warm end to increase the humidity until it has shed.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/06/2010 : 15:30:11
Most corns don't need any assistance to shed so with this being his first shed with you i would just leave him be. When you feed is totally down to you and your snake. I tend to leave mine till after they have shed.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000