The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake lighting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/06/2010 : 11:29:15
My snake came with a light built into the tank, and a heat mat, and I've had them both on since the first day I got him. But the other day the bulb in the light broke, and his behaviour is slightly different, is there anything to worry about? And is the light that important?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 14/06/2010 : 02:45:26
As everyone has said Peter, you should be fine with just the heatmat but it is vital that it is controlled by a stat and monitored with a digital thermometer. Do you have either of those things? What are the temps in his tank and have they changed much since the bulb broke? You say he has changed where he has rested....is he spending more time in one side?

I have heatmats (controlled and monitored) in both my vivs....and also have low wattage bulbs that are on timers to come on at 7am and off at 10pm....but they are purely for my benefit so I can enjoy seeing my snakes.

As mentioned it is vital that any bulb you have in the tank is guarded....not only can your snake burn itself on the bulb as they dont feel heat like we do, but they can also crush the bulb which could be very dangerous.

I am sure your snake will be fine....just make sure that the temps are as they should be.

xxx
jessejamez666 Posted - 14/06/2010 : 00:01:11
A heat mat on a stat is all you need,no lighting is needed.
Corns are nocturnal and are more active at night when it's dark.
I have a light canopy on top of my viv just for asthetic purposes,it's on between 8 and 10 at night also Corns do not need any sort of UV.
As long as the viv gets plenty of sunlight during the day it's cool!
n/a Posted - 13/06/2010 : 22:13:11
Oh cool cheers, I think it may just be a normal bulb, nothing special. But because he changed where he rested, I thought it may have had another purpose. Thanks again.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/06/2010 : 12:40:44
No the light isn't important. The heatmt is enough to give sufficient heat and aslong as the viv is in a room with sun light it is enough for them to be able to tell the day cycle.

What type of light was it? If it was just an ordinary light bulb then you could replaceit for your viewing purposes aslong as it is guarded. If its a heat light i would personally just remove it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000