The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 is he about to shed??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mrsT Posted - 12/06/2010 : 15:46:10
Jake has started to look very dull over the last week,been checking his eyes but there's no signs of them going cloudy.He was extremley lively on Wednesday night,having a really good slither around his viv and my living room!
But now he's gone from being quite lively to hiding away again like when i first got him.
Couldn't see him at all on Thursday - panicked!! - he'd burrowed under his substrate.All day yesterday and today he's been under his 'cold' hide , does it sound like he's getting ready to shed?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
herriotfan Posted - 22/06/2010 : 07:04:11
Thanks for keeping us updated. I bet you're proud of your bright fresh looking snake. They look all new don't they!! Glad it went ok, even if it was while you were not there. Hope the feed goes well.
Kellog Posted - 22/06/2010 : 03:34:35
That is fantastic news Carly....and a great example of the corns' sense of humour to shed while you were away !! But what is important is that Jake's shed was a clean one....well done for checking the eye caps and tail tip .

Now we just need some pics of him looking all bright and shiny !!

Hope the feeding goes well and he constricts for you....he should certainly be hungry enough!

xxx
gmac Posted - 21/06/2010 : 22:24:00
nice one, good luck with the feeding
mrsT Posted - 21/06/2010 : 22:03:56
Well just got home from a weekend away and he's shed!!His eyes were blue on Thursday night so I bloomin knew it would happen while we were away!
It looks good though it's all in one piece and both eye caps are there.
He was due to be fed on saturday but as we were away and he was about to shed I thought I'd leave feeding til today.hopefully he'll be nice and hungry and i might get another constriction out of him
mrsT Posted - 13/06/2010 : 07:58:39
Thanks everyone,this is all new to me so it's nice to set my mind at rest,and not worry that he's ill or something.
He still hadn't come out of his hide last night (he's usually out and about from about 9pm), but as it was feeding day i thought i'd get him out and see if he he wanted to eat.Was really lively when i got him him out and gobbled his fuzzy down,checked on him this morning and he's in hiding again.
flyinglime Posted - 13/06/2010 : 00:17:16
I've had my snake for 7 years now, and sometimes her shedding pattern seems totally random. She tends to go a bit pinkish, sometimes her eyes dull over but not always. Sometimes I think she just changes colour for fun - I think she's going to shed and she doesn't for weeks so I have to feed her and she seems very grateful as if I've been starving her. Then other times I'll come home to find her skin there when I could have sworn I'd only just taken the old one out. But generally I would say if your snake is tending to stay still, and is cautious or unresponsive when you approach him then it's likely he's about to shed, often they'll reject food too (or just not notice/be scared if it), but not always.

...I hope this helps a little bit, I know I haven't said all that much more than anyone else, just wanted to let you know that it's not always that obvious, both physically and behaviuorally.
kazzyrf Posted - 12/06/2010 : 22:51:11
My snake has shed this week, 1st time since i bought him in march. He hid away for a couple of days b4 i really noticed i had not seen him. He had been looking quite dull when i fed him the week b4. Checked him last sunday and his eyes had clouded over and he shed on wednesday. Sounds similar to how yours is behaving. This was my 1st experiance of a snake shedding as i have never kept 1 b4. Kaz
mikerichards Posted - 12/06/2010 : 17:04:01
Sometimes they don't excrete as much of the fluid as they have done before, so you wouldn't always see it. My old mexican black king used to go a light blue, you could see it on her belly but not in her eyes, on other time she went so blue I couldn't see any of her eye at all, it was all blue! She still fed like a monster though, although as she couldn't see she would just flail about with her mouth open!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 12/06/2010 : 16:27:34
quote:
Originally posted by mrsT

He's got brown eyes so thought it would be easy to spot lol!how wrong was i but he def looks duller than usual.
Going to try and find my first post on here as that was the day after i got him i think,and he'd had a shed that week.so i can see how long ago his last one was.
Thanks for the advice,I'll keep you updated

It may just be that his eyes havn't gone blue yet. Reggie and Casper go dull but their eyes don't go cloudy for between 5-6 days afterwards.
mrsT Posted - 12/06/2010 : 15:58:15
He's got brown eyes so thought it would be easy to spot lol!how wrong was i but he def looks duller than usual.
Going to try and find my first post on here as that was the day after i got him i think,and he'd had a shed that week.so i can see how long ago his last one was.
Thanks for the advice,I'll keep you updated
herriotfan Posted - 12/06/2010 : 15:50:39
He might well be, especially as you said he looks dull. If he's got red eyes it's much more difficult to see if they're cloudy. I've read on here that owners never know when their snake is going to shed until they find the old skin! Let us know how he's doing?
gmac Posted - 12/06/2010 : 15:48:05
it can be quite difficult to tell by the eyes on some snakes, but if he is dulling down it does sound like it. The majority of our snakes all go hide inthe cool end when about to shed.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000