The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Help we found a corn snake!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 11/06/2010 : 16:45:23
Hi, have just posted this in new members too but really not sure what to do.

We have just found a corn snake under my Parents bin - I ma reckoning it is about 2 -3 ft max in length and we do not know anyone locally who it could belong to.

Can anyone advise us what we should do with it please - where we can take it or anyone we can ring?

I am in the Manchester area, any help asap would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 12/06/2010 : 02:56:04
Well done for saving him Maxy....I dread to think about what might have happened to him if you hadnt found him. Once he has been taken off your hands by the RSPCA or Reptile Rescue or whoever then it may be worthwhile contacting your parents neighbours or putting an add in the local paper. We know how easy it is for a snake to escape from a viv that we think is escape proof - so it may be that there is someone a few doors away who is desperately searching for their lost snake.

The advice you have been given is spot on. He needs to be kept very quiet, so dont be tempted to touch him or handle him. Just keep him in the shoe box with holes in....and as Herriotfan has suggested, make sure you tie something around it as he can easily push the lid of a shoe box open - I know my 2 can.

It is also right that they can go for weeks without food but must have water, so hopefully you will have put a bowl with some water in for him. All you need to do is cover the bottom of the shoe box with kitchen roll. You can also put in a kitchen roll tube he can hide in as he will be feeling very scared.

You need to try and make sure that one end of the box is warm (using either a hot water bottle under one end or, even in this weather, putting one end near a radiator or heater).

I do hope that you get a response from someone first thing in the morning. Definitely contact Eeji for help and guidance - he is an expert and breeder and will be able to help you out.

Again, well done for saving him and for searching for info, finding us and asking for help - it shows how much you care. Just please let us know what happens.

xxx
eeji Posted - 11/06/2010 : 20:32:20
where abouts in Manchester are you? I'm just outside near Leigh so if you get stuck for someone drop me an email (my email address is in my profile) and we'll see if we can sort something out for you.

...or try Denise at Reptile Rescue Den in Bolton - http://www.reptilerescueden.org/Home.html
Rik Posted - 11/06/2010 : 19:07:06
have you had any luck with snakie? im in wigan and maybe able to foster for a short time.

as posted above a nice secure box with a water bowl and some kitchen roll will see snakie through for a while. Keep us posted.
herriotfan Posted - 11/06/2010 : 18:32:07
Bless him, poor little guy must be quite stressed.
Do you have an emergency number for your local council? They should have an animal warden who will deal with such incidents.
Don't worry about trying to feed him, snakes can go ages without food. It's better for him to go without than have the wrong food, if he would eat it! Just make sure he has some water.
Make sure you put some string round the box because snakes are very strong and he'll escape perhaps. Even tiny young snakes are strong.
I hope you soon hear from a source of help. Let us know how things go.....
Forum members....do we have anyone on here in the Manchester area that could help with this?
n/a Posted - 11/06/2010 : 18:24:12
We just want someone to have "him" who know show to care for him.

He was just under the bin on his own, nothing near him. He is only little.
n/a Posted - 11/06/2010 : 18:11:58
Thank you.

He is in a box now as suggested and in a quiet place.

We rang a reptile rescue place but it was just answerphone so we left a message and hopefully they will get back to us.

We are going home now so will take him with us for now!

n/a Posted - 11/06/2010 : 18:10:22
if you have a hot water bottle or on of those microwavable sack thing from bed warmers put a covered one of those under one side of the box
DannyBrown91 Posted - 11/06/2010 : 18:04:56
I would phone the RSPCA, if they won't/can't take it they may be able to give you the number of someone who can.
Sta~ple Posted - 11/06/2010 : 17:43:17
I unno it seems like something you wouldn't abandon even sell them back to petshops generally. But it is not unheard of that reptiles get dumped. They are quite crafty though so if it escaped out from its house it could have easily make it's way outside.

Was in in any kind of bag or box and is there anyway someone could easily get into where ever your parents keep your bins? RSPCA may be a good place to start since they might know if someone has lost a snake.

I wish I lived close to you although I would probably do the selfish thing and keep him instead of finding out if he was lost!
amanda121921 Posted - 11/06/2010 : 17:40:15
unfortunatley some people would just abandon a snake. the best thing to if you cant keep it is get in touch with the rspca or maybe see if there are any reptile rescue centres near you-you could google it. try to keep the snake somewhere quiet and although you can touch it, its probably best not to just now as it will more than likely be a bit stressed and this could add to that. hope you find someone to help soon
n/a Posted - 11/06/2010 : 17:03:47
I have no idea! Would someone just abandon something like that?? How far would they travel?

My parents have been away I found it by accidnet.

Ok....Husband just arrived, we have got it out and in a box for now. It is smaller than I thought - probably a foot and a half ish?

Can we touch it? Sorry to sound so ignorant!
Sta~ple Posted - 11/06/2010 : 16:56:50
Wow your so lucky! I would keep it but understandably if you can't maybe a reptile charity, animals shelter/help or even a reptile shop.

You think it was put in there on purpose or just got in there accidentally.
n/a Posted - 11/06/2010 : 16:53:47
Thank you, wasn't sure if RSPCA would help - will try them, I know they weren't interested in a cat we found prevously but we realy can't keep the snake I'm afraid!

Thanks for replying to me though.
mikerichards Posted - 11/06/2010 : 16:51:44
The best thing to do is either speak to the rspca, or someone local who will look after it. Failing that, keep it and give it a good home.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000