The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Handling Info Please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elament Posted - 11/06/2010 : 12:30:21
Can someone clear this up for me as I now have heard two conflicting opinions...
After you have fed your corn and you are returning it to the viv do you support where the bump (food) is or do you support either side. I thought it was either side but read on another thread this morning that it should be where the bump is.

Cheers

Steve
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 12/06/2010 : 10:57:02
Thanks everyone I just wanted to know what I was doing was right and it seems so. I had Colin out last night for the first time since the feed and he is absolutley fine. He did however have a very large bulge right by his vent lol so he didnt stay out long lol
Kellog Posted - 12/06/2010 : 03:40:53
I have heard both bits of advice as well Steve, but was originally advised to support the snake gently on either side of the bump....which is what I started doing from the beginning and have continued to do. I have thought about supporting the bump but then wondered that as I dont have 3 hands how do I support the head and tail end as well so that they dont pull down on their body (being big snakes of course).

As you know, when mine eat normally , I feed them on the floor in the lounge....so it is just a case of picking them up and carefully moving them straight into their vivs, just a matter of a few feet.

I think what has been said is right, as long as there is no unnecessary handling or rough handling, then however you do it is fine.

quote:
Originally posted by Sammysnake

........Saracen is now a really agressive feeder and after getting nearly eaten to death by him (I've told you a million times not to exaggerate)........

But Sam, you arent exaggerating....the injuries he gave you were life threatening ....and surely it must be more than a million times that you have told yourself not to exaggerate !

xxx
Sammysnake Posted - 11/06/2010 : 19:57:16
With Twilight I support each side of his bump. Saracen is now a really agressive feeder and after getting nearly eaten to death by him (I've told you a million times not to exaggerate) I now feed him in a tub and then gently tip it towards the viv until he decides to slide back in.
mikerichards Posted - 11/06/2010 : 16:36:48
I do it all the time, I co habit some of the corns so I have to take atleast one out to feed, same with some boas, I have never had a problem getting them back to their tubs. The worst thing is when the one outside finishes before the one in, then you have a snake that thinks everything is food and you gotta do something with it! Fun times!
n/a Posted - 11/06/2010 : 15:22:42
i love his name, Colin, so cute :)
elament Posted - 11/06/2010 : 14:34:59
Thanks Mike. I fed Colin for the first time ever out of his viv the other night and when I lifted him back in I supported him either side of the bump was very gentle and was very quick getting him back to his viv. I just wanted to be sure I was doing this right as I have never had this scenario before.
mikerichards Posted - 11/06/2010 : 13:52:36
As long as you are gentle and don't swing them about by the tail then its fine, I always pick mine up to put them back in their tubs, never once had a problem.
A couple of them I feed in my hands, as long as their food is supported (in or out of the belly) then its fine, obviously not for extended periods though.
elament Posted - 11/06/2010 : 13:43:58
quote:
Originally posted by inkiepixie

I put the feeding RUB into the viv and let them slither out of their own accord - I don't touch them at all if I can help it.

Thats how I feed Xena as she is still weaney but colin is getting big now and an RUB that would be big enough would not fit inside the viv.
inkiepixie Posted - 11/06/2010 : 13:31:05
I put the feeding RUB into the viv and let them slither out of their own accord - I don't touch them at all if I can help it.
mikerichards Posted - 11/06/2010 : 12:45:11
I always support where the food is, takes the strain off the snake.
matty18714 Posted - 11/06/2010 : 12:36:03
It wont make much differance either way and nobody can tell you that should do it one way or another. Just move the snake quickly and support its weight properly.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000