The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding problems!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nick43 Posted - 10/06/2010 : 21:47:56
My wife has kept a young corn snake for some months now. It is about 12-14 inches long and has shed sucessfully twice now.
Tonight my wife unfortunately fed it two small pinkies almost one after the other....I think this was a mistake.

The snake is not actively moving around, however, I think it is still alive....it is gaping however.....

What can we do?

We don't want to lose this beautiful reptile.

Regards

Nick
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 10/06/2010 : 22:34:36
It shouldnt be gaping certainly, but 2 pinkies is not life threatening, although it might be an idea to wait till hes a little larger in the future.
Hes probably just doing what i do when i have eaten too much, digesting with no energy to do anything else!
Normally i would say he would be fine, but the gaping is not a good sign. If you pick him up, gently mind, and see if he supports his own weight.
Only handle after food if absolutely necessary, i think this qualifies. Make sure you support the food, dont let his belly hang on its own weight.
Just handle for long enough to see if he supports his head, if he hangs his head then its not a good sign, also worth a look to see if he has anything stuck in his mouth.

fingers crossed.
elament Posted - 10/06/2010 : 22:12:46
quote:
Originally posted by nick43

quote:
Originally posted by elament

when you say it is gaping is it gaping or yawning. There is a difference some snakes have to relocate their jaws after a big meal. Technically if the meal is too big it will regurge one or both the pinkies. If it can keep them down it will but being inactive is not really suprising after such a big meal. Thing is now it has fed it shouldnt really be handled for 48 hrs to allow it to digest them. If its anything like my two it will curl up on its heatmat for a good long while. To be fair when feeding double meals you should wait until the first one is well down before offering the second but then saying that one of mine ate two in quick succession and it didnt do her any harm but then she is a snake dustbin.

Thanks for this info...

This is the first snake we have ever kept...

I guess you might panic a lot when you have never seen this type of behaviour before. Just after the snake swallowed both pinkies, there was a series of 'bubbles' and the snake seemed to be struggling to get them down.

The snake is very still and it's mouth is still gaping...not yawning as to reset its jaw etc.

We'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again

Nick

Oh I am sorry Nick I have never experienced anything like this before I do hope someone on here has the requisite knowledge to guide you sounds very worrying.
nick43 Posted - 10/06/2010 : 22:07:59
quote:
Originally posted by elament

there was a series of 'bubbles' and the snake seemed to be struggling to get them down.

The snake is very still and it's mouth is still gaping...not yawning as to reset its jaw etc.

We'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again

Nick

Yes, keep a close eye, bubbles and gaping would immediately flag 'RI' if it doesn't go away.
mozacchio Posted - 10/06/2010 : 22:04:04
Many people when they feed their corn on two pinkies they give the corn one pinkie after the other. If It doesn't regurge the meal then it's fine. Watch out for the temps to be right.
Blackecho Posted - 10/06/2010 : 22:01:40
Why do you think your wife made a mistake?

It sounds like your snake is now settled to digest its food.

elament Posted - 10/06/2010 : 21:59:42
when you say it is gaping is it gaping or yawning. There is a difference some snakes have to relocate their jaws after a big meal. Technically if the meal is too big it will regurge one or both the pinkies. If it can keep them down it will but being inactive is not really suprising after such a big meal. Thing is now it has fed it shouldnt really be handled for 48 hrs to allow it to digest them. If its anything like my two it will curl up on its heatmat for a good long while. To be fair when feeding double meals you should wait until the first one is well down before offering the second but then saying that one of mine ate two in quick succession and it didnt do her any harm but then she is a snake dustbin.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000