The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 feeding my young corn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikeyd_26 Posted - 09/06/2010 : 12:54:28
hi guys
my corn is currently feeding on pinkies and will be for a while but what size should she be before i upgrade her to fuzzies? any help would be great
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 10/06/2010 : 03:32:38
All corns grow at different rates Mike so it is very hard to predict when yours will be ready to move up.

This is part of a VERY ROUGH guide you can use to give you a basic idea of what size food she should be on....but I know forum members whose snakes should supposedly be on a certain size cos of their weight but arent big enough for them yet, so you should only use it in conjunction with common sense and a knowledge of your snake, it should not be followed religiously:

Snake (4 – 15g) = 1 Pinkie (0.5 – 3g) - feed every 5 to 6 days
Snake (16 – 23g) = 2 pinkies (3 – 4g) - feed every 5 to 6 days
Snake (24 – 30g) = small fuzzy (3 – 6g) - feed every 6 to 7 days
Snake (30 – 50g) = fuzzy (7 – 9g) - feed every 6 to 7 days

Danny has mentioned one of the best ways to judge whether you will need to increase her food - when there is no longer a bump once she has eaten then it is time to move to either multiple prey items or on to the next size.

Gmac has also given you vital info about when you are thinking about moving her up to the next size of mouse - the 'dinner's' girth is no bigger than 1.5 times the size of the widest part of her body girth.

The important thing is not to rush her, you know her and you will know from the information we have given you when it is time to increase her food .

xxx

mikeyd_26 Posted - 09/06/2010 : 14:44:12
thanks for the help ppl
reptiledanny Posted - 09/06/2010 : 14:30:32
well, once he/she can take 1 pinkie with ease and not really leave a bump then upgrade to 2 pinkies, then once your snake is used to taking 2 pinkies then upgrade to fuzzies. and then the same for fuzzies, then small mice, then medieum mice and some snakes if get large enough will take large mice. :)
gmac Posted - 09/06/2010 : 13:35:44
you can upgrade as you go so long as the prey girth is not greater than 1.5 x the snake girth at the thickes part.
mozacchio Posted - 09/06/2010 : 13:15:19
Usually after 1 pinkie you move it up to 2 pinkies and then fuzzies..!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000