The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 hatchling, when will he shed?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 07/06/2010 : 09:06:19
hi

my hatchling is roughly 16 - 17" long, and i am wondering if anyone kept records of their hatchling and when he/she shed their skin, how many days between sheds please? i haven't had him long, and i'm worried about feeding him, then him having a shed halfway through digesting his meal...
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 10/06/2010 : 03:53:23
quote:
Originally posted by deedee71

thanks kellog,

i will post pics when he has shed, but i don't know what to call the little man yet, was thinking 'Greengrass' lol x x x x

Greengrass ....dont worry, there is no rush Dee. I know it is so much nicer when they have a name but it is not as though they come when their name is called ....just give it time and I am sure the right name will come to you. You will probably hear a song, see an ad or read something and it will suddenly 'click' as being the right name for your snake. I love the African languages - Letala is sotho for green.

xxx
n/a Posted - 08/06/2010 : 22:11:15
thanks kellog,

i will post pics when he has shed, but i don't know what to call the little man yet, was thinking 'Greengrass' lol x x x x
Kellog Posted - 08/06/2010 : 04:15:10
So glad that your original questions are answered by your hatchling on the same day you asked them !!

It is great that you have a snake that is happy to feed while it is 'blue'. I must admit that I am one of those who doesnt handle or feed mine during that time....I tend to feel that in the wild they would be hiding out while they are this vulnerable. When their eyes are cloudy, and even for those few days between their eyes clearing up and them shedding, their vision is impaired and they are partially blind....so I try not to cause them any undue stress and know that missing a feed isnt going to do them any harm.

It is great news that your snow is going into shed. Once its eyes have cleared and about 3 - 4 days are up then watch out for it being more active, rubbing its head along the side of its faun, hide, branches etc....it is the first sign of it shedding as it is trying to loosen the skin around its jaw and head. But I will warn you, I am sure there is a corn conspiracy - they wait until their owners have left the room and then quickly slip out of their old skin and proudly show off their new skin when their owners return !! I do hope you get to see it, it really is an amazing thing to watch. But if you do miss it, you have many years ahead of you to catch it out and witness it shedding !!

Obviously pics are expected as soon as it has shed !!

Does it have a name yet?

xxx
herriotfan Posted - 07/06/2010 : 21:00:39
Tell him, no probs we're pleased to help!!!!!
n/a Posted - 07/06/2010 : 20:54:44
he ate the pinky, and said "thank you all very much" x x x x x x x
Sta~ple Posted - 07/06/2010 : 15:53:10
Some feed in shed mode, other's don't shed. Mine do luckily :)Don't hope too much.

As for days inbetween shed, it depends how often they eat and how much they grow. On average I think hatchies shed about every month.
n/a Posted - 07/06/2010 : 13:36:46
thanks herriotfan, i will defrost him a pinky now *runs off to the freezer*
herriotfan Posted - 07/06/2010 : 13:30:58
He will look all bright and shiney, like a brand new snake when he's shed!! Is he still letting you handle him with no problems? If he is the chances are he may well still want his meal. I'd offer it to him and see. Then you must still leave him the 48 hours after feeding even if he sheds during that time. Let us know how it goes.
n/a Posted - 07/06/2010 : 13:02:34
thank you, i hope he shows some green when he sheds :)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 07/06/2010 : 12:37:16
It certainly sounds as if he is coming upto a shed, over the next couple of days you will notice his eyes and skin clear up a little, almost as iff he has shed, he will then shed a few days later.

I personally don't feed mine when they are blue but if he'll take the food then there is no problem in doing so.
n/a Posted - 07/06/2010 : 12:22:35
i think mine is going to shed, i've just had him out, and his skin is a velvet matt, his eyes seem cloudy and his yellow stars on his neck have turned a beautiful coral orangey colour :) i don't know whether or not to offer him some food tomorrow if he's going into shed... he needs feeding up a bit. got him from the shop a few weeks ago, and needs to fatten up :)
inkiepixie Posted - 07/06/2010 : 10:59:42
Luna won't eat when she is due to shed but Bella will.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 07/06/2010 : 10:39:15
Candy is roughly 16 inches and sheds every 5-6 weeks.

Reggie is also the only one who dosn't eat when in shed so that isn't necesarily a sure sign unless you know your snake. One way i used to tell with candy before i started to really notice the differences as with him it used to be hard to tell is that when i used to feed him he would strike 2-3 times before hitting the mouse where as usually he is pretty accurate and gets it first time.

Now that candies saddles are a deeper red i can tell as they turn a pinky colour. Casper gets dusty looking and gets a very milky belly a few days before her eyes turn ble and Reggie Turns very very dull, almost looks purple.
HannahB Posted - 07/06/2010 : 10:13:18
some will still feed - two of ours did and one of them still does..zero luckily now goes off his food which is good as otherwise we wouldnt realise he was getting ready to shed!
if i remember correctly my mont was shedding around once every 6weeks
but you should notice some signs that they are getting ready to shed - most snakes will go cloudy not just in the eyes but the whole colouring will develop a duller shade
n/a Posted - 07/06/2010 : 09:15:04
thank you inkiepixie, so if he's going to shed, he'll likely refuse food, so no need to worry, cool.

thanks for putting my mind at rest

dee x x x x x
inkiepixie Posted - 07/06/2010 : 09:11:50
I got Luna as a two month old hatchling and she was shedding every six or seven weeks. They will often not eat when they're coming up to shed though, so don't worry too much about that!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000