The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Aspen vs Hemp

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LittleMick Posted - 06/06/2010 : 16:13:49
The last bag of substrate I bought for Elijah's faun was Hemp, the first bag was Aspen, well I've come to the conclusion I don't like Hemp . Elijah has made a right mess of his faun. The water dish has ended up above the substrate and tilted at an angle, he has pushed alot of Hemp from his cool side onto the warm side making that thicker, and the Boston Fern plant now looks like a weed sticking out the ground.
I prefered the Aspen as when he burrowed it seemed to have a more tight fit, he actually made tunnels that held. It didn't scatter all over the place so no chance of it being pushed onto the warm side.
Now I have to clean up after lil bugger, lol. I still have loads of Hemp left so I'll use it and see if he seems to enjoy it, I hope not, then I can go back to Aspen .
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 08/06/2010 : 03:42:37
I use Hemcore....the English version of Aubiouse (send him out for one thing and he comes back with another!!), and it is made from the soft centre of the hemp plant. Considering that my 2 are horny at the moment and burrowing like crazy I dont seem to have the problem you have had with Elijah, Mick. Kellog still makes tunnels and each morning I fluff it all up again so he can reburrow and have more fun! My OH was convinced it wasnt going to be any good when we first got it cos he felt it was going to be too compressed for the snakes to be able to burrow through....they soon proved him wrong!

I do make sure that I put the water bowl on the base of the viv, surrounded by the substrate....so they cant burrow under it and tip it.

I guess it is just a case of working out what you like best and what Elijah likes best....and hopefully they will be the same !!

quote:
Originally posted by Tatsie-j

quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

, it's used for hores and apparently a cheaper option than aspen.

surely the bedding u use 4 these r sheets? lol

Good catch Natalie, you are obviously missing your proof reader Mick !!!

xxx
n/a Posted - 07/06/2010 : 22:45:23
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsie-j

quote:

i use silk sheets... just dont tell the mrs lol
Tatsie-j Posted - 07/06/2010 : 22:34:43
quote:

LittleMick Posted - 07/06/2010 : 22:13:32
Aspen is from the Apen tree which can be found all over the world.
Auboise/Hemp is taken from Cannabis plants and used in quite a few industries.
herriotfan Posted - 07/06/2010 : 18:23:00
Aspen is softer and finer than the others about here. Maybe different manufacturers make it slightly differently in different parts of the country?
Sta~ple Posted - 07/06/2010 : 15:57:25
Um what's the difefrence between aspen and hemp? >>; I imagine hemp looks kinda like moss for some reason or seomthing kinda grassy that you can smoke XD I can't really pick a choice yet, I have some Aubois in the garage and I have nevere used aspen before. I will have to use the big bag of megazorb before I get to play with Aubois...
DannyBrown91 Posted - 06/06/2010 : 23:02:53
Isn't auboise a type of hemp bedding aswell.

I have like a 10KG sack of aspen at the minute but once i've gone through that i may give auboise a try and see what its like.
LittleMick Posted - 06/06/2010 : 22:31:39
I ran out of aspen on his last faun clean out, so half of it was aspen and half was hemp. The Aspen I bought with his setup last year from 888, the hemp I picked up from my LRS, thinking it was Aspen, lol.

I would love to get all my supplies from 888 but that means I would have to spend over £50 for the free dellivery

mrsT - You can also look for a bedding called Auboise, it's used for hores and apparently a cheaper option than aspen.
crazy JJ Posted - 06/06/2010 : 17:12:06
lol haha... sounds like he has been havin alot fun in there lol :D

i have only ever used aspen having said that i cant remember what its called but whatever it was that came with skittles it does excatly the same as what Elijah has been doin n it did my head in lol... so aspen all the way 4 me haha.

MrsT yes ya can get aspen from ya local rep shop (or can get it in bulk over the net i think) n i dont think its that expensive and i think its the best substrate but thats just me :D
mrsT Posted - 06/06/2010 : 16:44:20
sounds like he's been having fun could you mix a little bit of the hemp in with the aspen,just until you've used it all up?
Jake likes to burrow,i've got beech chips in the viv at the moment,but thinking of switching to aspen.do you just pick it up from the reptile shop?is it expensive?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000