The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Painting a viv?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rubi Posted - 01/09/2013 : 19:05:53
Hi guys

Got hold of a 3nd hand viv today very cheaply, but needs a hot of touch up doing...looking at painting the outside and possibly the Inside is it safe to use an undercoat and a gloss or do I need specific type of paint?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rubi Posted - 03/09/2013 : 14:11:11
Ok so apparently paint partner used was oil based! Not impressed...if I was to cover the sides I have painted Inside with the polystyrene background will it be ok? Will the outside be ok or do I need to co partly strip/repaint?
rubi Posted - 02/09/2013 : 17:37:28
Ok thank you

It's only the two sides I have painted the back wall will be built up with polystyrene etc to create a rock background and didnt paint the base as thought would be covered with substrate anyways. May put some of polystyrene down the sides near base which would reduce chances of it getting wet.
Razee Posted - 02/09/2013 : 17:11:34
If it is water based, it's likely to be non toxic - but then, if you get spills and wet poops, it could partially melt the paint again, and you don't want snakey crawling through that... I'd be tempted to give it a top coat with the yacht paint. :-)
rubi Posted - 02/09/2013 : 15:31:32
Oh damn partner bought some white undercoat and some gloss today for it was told non toxic. Read alot online saying fine once dry is that not the case? If so can I cost it with something to make it safe?
Razee Posted - 02/09/2013 : 14:59:37
Definitely yacht/ boat paint - it's developed to come into contact with water, and to be harmless to the marine life ( and therefore snakes as well ). Glosses could be toxic to snakes...
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 02/09/2013 : 12:10:29
ive heard yacht paint is best. Other paints have fumes, and can have a bad reaction under the heat conditions.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000