The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 what ventalation is needed in a 36x18x18

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
harry Cornelius Posted - 03/01/2013 : 19:09:48
I've just purchased my first viv, Cornelius is still in a terrarium but will be upgrading to his new mansion in the coming months. The viv has a vent strip the length of the back at the top, will this be sufficient ventalation of would I need to add some. As I need access for my mat, stat & lighting it would be handed to have one in
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
harry Cornelius Posted - 06/01/2013 : 19:02:51
Thanks very much Donnie seems to have clarified the topic lol. It's not a venture I'll be taking to any time soon but hopefully some time in the not too distant future. I love the royal's but the jungle carpets just look stunning and I think the slender body helps them appear more agile. So for now I'll just read and observe and probably dream haha cheers again
Donnie Posted - 06/01/2013 : 17:13:54
It's certainly not stupid to ask the question if you don't know the answer, never be afraid to ask. Jungle is a sub species of carpet, I have listed the sub species below so you can go and do a bit more digging if you want. Typically the Irian Jaya is the smallest and then the jungle and the males generally stay smaller no matter what the sub species is. If you are after a 6' then either of these can achieve this length (on the bigger side for an IJ) but you would be best viewing the parents to get an idea of the size each snake will grow to. I know of a jungle female well over 8' but it is quite rare for a jungle.

M. s. cheynei - Jungle carpet python, Australia in northeastern Queensland.

M. s. imbricata - Southern carpet python, Across Southwest Australia to the Eyre Peninsula in South Australia.

M. s. mcdowelli - Coastal carpet python, Australia in eastern Queensland and northeastern New South Wales.

M. s. metcalfei - Inland carpet python, Australia in the Murray-Darling Basin of Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia.

M. s. spilota - Diamond python, Australia in eastern New South Wales and the extreme east of Victoria.

M. s. variegata - Darwin or Irian Jaya carpet python, New Guinea (Western New Guinea and Papua New Guinea) and Australia in northwestern Western Australia and in the northern portion of the Northern Territory.
harry Cornelius Posted - 06/01/2013 : 16:04:46
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie

quote:
Originally posted by harry Cornelius

quote:

Looks good, I haven't seen a viv with a vent strip like that before

I see your house was as pink as mine was this Christmas little girls love pink pressies

yep two girls mate so I'm always out numbered & we still haven't found a place for all the new toys lol
I see you have a few carpet pythons, hope to have one in the future but how big do they get compared to royal ?

Depending on the sub species you go for they can be between 5 and rarely 12 (but 10 not uncommon but still on the larger side) feet but they are a slender bodied snake and will get to about the thickness of a coke can. If you are looking for an active, eats well, always on display and hardy snake a carpet is an excellent choice, if you want a pet rock that goes off its food regularly go for a royal (dont hate me royal lovers I'm only joking )

so what are the sub species and what would you look for it you wanted around a 6 ft. Does the jungle refer to the colour or is that the sub ?? Forgive me if that sounds stupid lol but I am only just on the road of snake knowledge
Thorne Walker Posted - 06/01/2013 : 02:27:15
quote:
if you want a pet rock that goes off its food regularly go for a royal (dont hate me royal lovers I'm only joking )

Just because it's funny doesn't mean it isn't true...

OT: I'd put a few smallish holes on the bottom of one of the side/back panels, with only one strip at the top you're essentially going to be relying on the draft around the glass for circulation...

Donnie Posted - 05/01/2013 : 20:25:24
quote:
Originally posted by harry Cornelius

quote:

I see your house was as pink as mine was this Christmas little girls love pink pressies

yep two girls mate so I'm always out numbered & we still haven't found a place for all the new toys lol
I see you have a few carpet pythons, hope to have one in the future but how big do they get compared to royal ?

Depending on the sub species you go for they can be between 5 and rarely 12 (but 10 not uncommon but still on the larger side) feet but they are a slender bodied snake and will get to about the thickness of a coke can. If you are looking for an active, eats well, always on display and hardy snake a carpet is an excellent choice, if you want a pet rock that goes off its food regularly go for a royal (dont hate me royal lovers I'm only joking )
harry Cornelius Posted - 05/01/2013 : 09:44:08
quote:

Donnie Posted - 05/01/2013 : 08:56:23

harry Cornelius Posted - 05/01/2013 : 08:35:33
here's the vent strip
harry Cornelius Posted - 05/01/2013 : 08:32:43
herriotfan Posted - 04/01/2013 : 09:23:25
That will be fine for ventilation.
When you make the hole for your mat, stat etc ensure you seal any gap left. You'd be surprised at the tiny spaces snakes can escape from!
Donnie Posted - 03/01/2013 : 23:53:43
Depends what phone you have. I know there is a photobucket app for the iPhone and for Android which is what I use (there may be other ways to do it bit I am not sure)
harry Cornelius Posted - 03/01/2013 : 23:23:35
quote:

It sounds like it will be fine, have you got a picture of the viv showing the vent or a link to one online?

can u upload a photo from your phone or do you need I need to grab the laptop ?
Donnie Posted - 03/01/2013 : 21:58:42
It sounds like it will be fine, have you got a picture of the viv showing the vent or a link to one online?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000